Page 1 of 2
I visit a local forum often, there they have musician ads, often i will see all male bands post "FEMALE vocalist wanted" or " looking for a female bassist!".( EDIT:im not JUST talking about vocalist positions,but guitarist,drummers and whatever)
I totally understand if its an all girl band and they are looking for members.

But come on! you dont see all girl bands posting "ONLY MALES need apply for guitar position" ... shouldn't skill level come before gender when selecting a band member?

I find this a tad "degrading" , why do they have to INSIST on the female gender?
Perhaps,like a friend of mine mentioned, some of these guys "just want a chance with rocker chicks" and that some of these "girls are cheap"... maybe that is one of the reasons.

Please dont be mistaken, i am not insulted or upset. Im just trying to understand why some male bands want only "girls" to join.

I also see that in certain bands with females in them.. the female either gets huge praise OR lots of insults... it also seems harder for them to be taken seriously. so why all this lack of respect in rock music?

so this is just how I feel, prove me wrong if you can!

discuss !
Last edited by petrina_678 at May 17, 2008,
A women's voice suits their music better?
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
There is an overwhelming majority of men in the rock music scene, so women are naturally a taboo and intriguing. This site is a mini example.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

it's understandable to want a girl vocalist because they sound completely different from guys but there is no reason to pick a man over a woman or vice versa for something other than vocals I would just go with the best guitarist/bassist/drummer
I saw Girlschool a few years back, I thought they were good, but due to my morals, I bottled them.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Maybe because they want variety, or a female voice ?
Seriously, looking for a female vocalist and hitting on her may wreck the band. I don't find it smart.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Woah, no pleasing you. Females have been left out of rock music for decades and now that the female voice is popular in rock, you're complaining? I think the reason they were asking for a female vocalist is because of trends at the moment, or perhaps just because that's the sort of thing they want. I doubt you'd catch anyone posting "(FE)MALE guitarist", because, realistically (although some beg to differ) there is no difference.
I dunno, bitches don't know what they want.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well if it were "women only" for any other instrument, I'd agree, but I think female vocals sound quite different to male vocals which pretty much explains it. The band is just looking for a certain sound.

EDIT: As for them getting less respect, it's the same as in any other industry. A large portion of men are stupid sexist pricks.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
yea
maybe they just want a female voice

i mean
if anthony kleidis fronted paramore,they wouldnt be the same........
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
i think if they carry themselves right, they can have more respect than anyone. i probably have more respect of the singers of paramore and flyleaf than i do for any other person in that genre, just because they dont compromise their morals when doing music.

but as for the female vocalist wanted, i think its because thats a completely different instrument than a male vocalist, its like the difference between a guitar and a baritone guitar, basically similar, but two different vocal ranges. also sometimes people just want to have a girl singer, they just sounds better sometimes.
im not just talking about female vocalist, im also referring to when bands request for a female in their ads .... :"wanted:female keyboardist!" or "female bassist wanted"
they want a womens voice. if you havent noticed, male and female voices sound quite different.

edit: oh. thats a bit weird, then. i've never seen that. but its true that the industry is sexist.

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at May 17, 2008,
I love how the answer i formulated in my head is exactly the same as almost all the people who have posted here.

Evidently most the posters here are logical and reasonable. Unlike the thread starter.
WTF is a women doing out of the kitchen to begin with?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by petrina_678
im not just talking about female vocalist, im also referring to when bands request for a female in their ads .... :"wanted:female keyboardist!" or "female bassist wanted"

you didnt say that in the beginning.
even so
let bands do w.e. they want.
its up to them to choose who or what gender or race they want
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Some girls are, unbelievabley, attractive. People will stay at gigs because a girl is playing and they think she is hot.
Quote by petrina_678

oh maybe its because they are shallow and think that it will cause sex appeal to the band. that is completely wrong a sexist, because there is no real reason for it. maybe they want female backing vocals or something, like the smashing pumpkins.
Quote by petrina_678

In which case they might be doing it as a marketing ploy. They could be deliberately hiring an attractive female musician to gain a larger male fanbase. Sad but true. Although this probably isn't something that is only done to women, just more often.

EDIT: However, I've never seen this sort of ad, so I doubt it happens often anyway.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in

EDIT: As for them getting less respect, it's the same as in any other industry. A large portion of men are stupid sexist pricks.

Uhhh, yeh, I'm gonna call bs, it's the minority, I know one dude who is sexist, and he's the guy I was on about in the other thread, who said he'd end friendships if his friend turned out to be gay, so yeh, lets leave that there.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
WHAT are there bands out there that pick members based on race....

?!??!

never thought about that
Quote by Kiffa
Uhhh, yeh, I'm gonna call bs, it's the minority, I know one dude who is sexist, and he's the guy I was on about in the other thread, who said he'd end friendships if his friend turned out to be gay, so yeh, lets leave that there.

you didnt call BS very well

Jack my swag
Quote by petrina_678
WHAT are there bands out there that pick members based on race....

?!??!

never thought about that

Living Colour, I dunno if they picked the members based on race, but they are all black...I think.

Edit: Gopherthegreat, shut yer face, I just made a point.

Quote by petrina_678
I visit a local forum often, there they have musician ads, often i will see all male bands post "FEMALE vocalist wanted" or " looking for a female bassist!".( EDIT:im not JUST talking about vocalist positions,but guitarist,drummers and whatever)
I totally understand if its an all girl band and they are looking for members.

But come on! you dont see all girl bands posting "ONLY MALES need apply for guitar position" ... shouldn't skill level come before gender when selecting a band member?

I find this a tad "degrading" , why do they have to INSIST on the female gender?
Perhaps,like a friend of mine mentioned, some of these guys "just want a chance with rocker chicks" and that some of these "girls are cheap"... maybe that is one of the reasons.

Please dont be mistaken, i am not insulted or upset. Im just trying to understand why some male bands want only "girls" to join.

I also see that in certain bands with females in them.. the female either gets huge praise OR lots of insults... it also seems harder for them to be taken seriously. so why all this lack of respect in rock music?

so this is just how I feel, prove me wrong if you can!

discuss !

hmm... you're pretty. Wanna sing in my band?
Quote by Eirien
hmm... you're pretty. Wanna sing in my band?

heh i've got one already.....

<.<

>.>
Quote by petrina_678

I've only ever seen that when it's for an all female band.
Quote by mr_hankey
I've only ever seen that when it's for an all female band.

but i've seen otherwise ...
Quote by Kiffa

A lot of men are not consciously or actively sexist, but still treat women differently or act differently around them, which I interpret as essentially being sexist. Although it might be the minority, I'm not sure. I just said a large portion. And to be honest, your argument isn't very compelling.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Judge said I had to respect D'Arcy Wretsky's rights to privacy..

So, I guess I don't have any.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by alexmonty12
.. so, ask them not us?

good idea.... mmmm just that i visit UG more often...

let me QUOTE you and exact phrase from one of these ads...

am looking for a male vocalist who can also play rhythm guitars and a female rhythm guitarist who loves strummings..

wanted Female guitarist age: 21 above
Last edited by petrina_678 at May 17, 2008,
Quote by Kiffa
Living Colour, I dunno if they picked the members based on race, but they are all black...I think.

Edit: Gopherthegreat, shut yer face, I just made a point.

They didn't really "pick" members - they just happened to come together so that they were all black.

It's kind of their band theme, honestly. But they're awesome, so I can't say anything bad about them.
The.
Quote by break-me-in
A lot of men are not consciously or actively sexist, but still treat women differently or act differently around them, which I interpret as essentially being sexist. Although it might be the minority, I'm not sure. I just said a large portion. And to be honest, your argument isn't very compelling.

It was just a point, not an opportunity for an argument, just pointing out that out of all the people I know, only one of them is sexist, I swear he's a racist too, considering he says "all paki's are see you next tuesdays" a lot.

Again, not an argument, but a point made.

Quote by Kiffa
It was just a point, not an opportunity for an argument, just pointing out that out of all the people I know, only one of them is sexist, I swear he's a racist too, considering he says "all paki's are see you next tuesdays" a lot.

Again, not an argument, but a point made.

Did you even properly read the post you quoted?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Did you even properly read the post you quoted?

I did, and yeh, fair enough, but I (for some reason) only commented on the last sentence. I did actually intend on commenting the main body, but well, I dunno.

Sometimes having a girl in the band can increase your fanbase (predominately male). Typically it will also increase your onstage prowess.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Since when were you allowed to have opinions...?

Look whos talking, 07er.
my gear:
ibanez RG
digitech RP250
crate RFX15
marshall 30-watt

ignore the username
Quote by Eminored
I'd start a World War too if I listened to enough polka.

Quote by COBHC728
To TriviumJunkie: You need rehab my friend

stanleybach ur fucking banned!!
APSH!!
Page 1 of 2