yes, indeed it is!!!

im hunting around for a new guitar, and im adamant it must be able to impale someone

so far, ive found the Dean Razorback DB CBK, BC Rich Beast something or other, and ive just been browsing the Jackson range.

can anyone tell me what these guitars are like to play...?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_ke3_blk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js30ke.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_rr3_randy_rhodes.htm

replies are much appreciated
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I dont know what they sound like, but, out of those 3, I would definately get the Jackson KE3. Firstly its easier to play with sitting down, much easier than the RR3, and its got seymour duncans. U cant go wrong with those
Also, Im pretty sure you could seriously injure someone with it too.
im sorry dude, i know right now you want a sweet axe so you say, well 'i have an awesome guitar,' but seriously get a new amp first, or your brand new guitar is still gonna sound ****e
Get a good amp first. For ~$450, you can get some good tube combos, like the ValveKing 112, B-52 AT-112, or a Crate V32. Those will help out your tone much more than a new guitar will right now.
honestly guys some people would rather have nicer guitars first, maybe he jams wit h a friend or just by himself and is content!!

I would say the RR3

ive heard nothing but good things about them
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
What do I thinK?

I think I'd laugh at you if I saw you playing one of those horrid Razorbacks or Beasts.

Dunno about the Jacksons, but I'd avoid them, too.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by Krzy8
honestly guys some people would rather have nicer guitars first, maybe he jams wit h a friend or just by himself and is content!!

I would say the RR3

ive heard nothing but good things about them

thankyou for that very supportive comment (Y). and yes i would rather have a nicer guitar first, you're spot on. i jam with a friend

Quote by diditfortehlulz
What do I thinK?

I think I'd laugh at you if I saw you playing one of those horrid Razorbacks or Beasts.

Dunno about the Jacksons, but I'd avoid them, too.

so basically you're one of those people who think everything except your ibanez is crap?

well thats your opinion, but from what everyone else is saying jacksons are good, and don't criticise something that you don't know anything about

And to all the new-amp supporters...i do agree with you, i want a new amp, but for now im happy, and my metal master helps my tone somewhat for now

Quote by cornmancer
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at May 17, 2008,
Quote by Hoodoo Child

so basically you're one of those people who think everything except your ibanez is crap?

well thats your opinion, but from what everyone else is saying jacksons are good, and don't criticise something that you don't know anything about

Uhhh... No.

I'm one of those people who thinks that "br00tal" shapes like the Razorback and Beast are unwieldy and stupid, and that once you grow out of your "br00tal" phase, you'll be stuck with a stupid looking guitar that you hate.

I meant you should avoid the JS's, not that all Jacksons suck.
Now it's 1984
the point i am making is that you said "dunno about the jacksons, but id avoid them, too". so you are advising against something you don't know anything about. and wtf? br00tal phase? i admit, i think the shapes are cool, but i like all kinds of guitar, and those just appeal to me the most. im also looking at an Epi LP Custom, the black beauty (but a better version), so i dont just like "br00tal" guitars..

Quote by cornmancer
i hate jacksons that are below 800$, i just don't like the feel. And i can't stand any BC or Deans.

Out of the music you like aparently, i would check out some ESP Guitars, i've heard the best out of them for the price range.
Quote by pacoasterrider
i hate jacksons that are below 800$, i just don't like the feel. And i can't stand any BC or Deans.

Out of the music you like aparently, i would check out some ESP Guitars, i've heard the best out of them for the price range.

Once you get your panties un-bunched, take this guy's advice.

Jackson's don't really suck, but they're most definitely not what they used to be. And for the record, an ESP will rape any Jackson of similar price.
Now it's 1984
You won't regret the DEAN. Trust.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by pacoasterrider

the RR3 is above $800, isnt it? according to yahoo it is...

what i would obviously love to have is an alexi laiho jackson model, but my max price is £500, about $978...soooooo that's out of the question.

and ill check the ESP guitars out...

Quote by cornmancer
The jacksons you listed i'd only consider if they were 200-300$.

You're buying a body design and a finish, not a guitar.

ESP is the way to go unless you can put out 1000$ plus.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Once you get your panties un-bunched, take this guy's advice.

Jackson's don't really suck, but they're most definitely not what they used to be. And for the record, an ESP will rape any Jackson of similar price.

cant beat a good bit of guitar rape-age

Quote by pacoasterrider
The jacksons you listed i'd only consider if they were 200-300$.

You're buying a body design and a finish, not a guitar.

ESP is the way to go unless you can put out 1000$ plus.

well yes i am moving towards that kinda thing 'cos i like the body design. and i was under the impression that, since people such as Matt Tuck and Phil Demmel use them, Jackson was the way to go.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by pacoasterrider
Laiho playes a ESP . . . .

damn, so he does. well he used to play a jackson at least. until someone stole it

would you recommend one of these over the jacksons?

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/esp-ltd-alexi-200-electric-guitar-white-314.html?currency=GBP

http://www.imusician.co.uk/musicstore/s22441/0/General/ESP/ESP-LTD-V-200-Black/details.aspx

Quote by cornmancer
The RR3 or KE3 would be the best out of the bunch. JS series FTL.

In fact, get the RR3.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm a HUGE ESP fan, and I can admit that most Jacksons give ESP a run for their money. So, whatchutalkinboutwillis?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
ha, well his model goes for about $1200 on Musiciansfriend if you can save up a little more, and 200 goes for only 300 bucks too if you're not looking that high end.

But honestly, the best guitar i ever remember playing was a 3000$ Jackson, (i've played about every guitar at guitar center, and i liked the Jackson better), but it was the only Jackson i ever enjoyed as well, they just feel like theres no quality in them, and i hate the necks personally.
Quote by Hoodoo Child

always remember you get what you pay for, but i think that will play a lot better compared to jackson's in that range. I'd surely give it a test run tho. I've never played one so i have no experence with it, but i've played ESP's in that range and was impressed for the price.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
cant beat a good bit of guitar rape-age

Now that's better.

And, I know somebody will bitch at me for saying this, but there's a reason that a lot of former Jackson users have moved on to ESP. Alexi Laiho and Jeff Hanneman, for example. ESP now, is what Jackson used to be.
Now it's 1984
Alexi Laiho only moved to ESP because Jackson had been bought by something to do with Fender and couldnt make him a new guitar to replace the stolen ones until at least a year later. ESP could, so alexi switched

but theres nothing that REALLY interests me in my price range from ESP, thats the problem....

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
Alexi Laiho only moved to ESP because Jackson had been bought by something to do with Fender and couldnt make him a new guitar to replace the stolen ones until at least a year later. ESP could, so alexi switched

but theres nothing that REALLY interests me in my price range from ESP, thats the problem....

See what I was saying, though? Ever since Fender bought Jackson, they haven't been as good. It would have taken Jackson a year to make him a guitar, and ESP made him a guitar of the same quality or better, in only a few months.

I mean, really. For a few bills, you could have a bolt-on Jackson with dodgy hardware, or you could have a neck-through ESP with brand name hardware and pickups.

If there's nothing that tickles you in your price range, maybe you could save a little more.
Now it's 1984
the bit about the bolt-on...im a tiny bit of a guitar noob..what exactly is the difference?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
the bit about the bolt-on...im a tiny bit of a guitar noob..what exactly is the difference?

Basically, a bolt on neck is like the neck on a Strat or Tele, where the neck and body are 2 separate pieces, and they're bolted together.

A neck-through guitar, is a guitar where the neck extends all the way from the headstock all the way through the guitar's body, and is usually either glued that way, or the neck and body are built as one piece when the guitar is made.

With a neck-through guitar, you can have a much smaller neck heel, better sustain (generally), etc.

These rules aren't set in stone, though. There are bolt-on's out there that will give any neck-through a run for it's money (Like Tom Anderson guitars), and vice versa.

Check this picture out. BC Rich was one of the first companies ever to use the neck-through construction method. Those sections running down the center of the guitars in the pic are actually the necks.
Now it's 1984
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Bolt_on_neck.jpg/450px-Bolt_on_neck.jpg
generic bolt on neck

http://www.diyguitarist.com/Images/Mojo-Neck1.JPG
more fancy bolt on

http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison%20angelus/Angelus-HGS%20Heel.jpg
set in neck

generally as stated above, a set in neck is better. Most guitars (and some under) say 300-400$ are set in necks with the exception of Fender/Jackson. I'd say roughly 90%++ of artists in the metal/hardcore/hard rock category use set necks, simply because they give off much more sustain. Something to deal with the neck and body as "one" and not bolts seperating the two.

They also generally give you much more finger-room and make playing stuff on higher frets easier, since there isn't a block of wood to house the bolts. the pictures (especally 1&3 show that well)
in basic terms, if you play an open D power chord, the sound will last longer on a set neck then a bolt on by quite a few measures usually.

i hope that makes sence.
Quote by pacoasterrider
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Bolt_on_neck.jpg/450px-Bolt_on_neck.jpg
generic bolt on neck

http://www.diyguitarist.com/Images/Mojo-Neck1.JPG
more fancy bolt on

http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison%20angelus/Angelus-HGS%20Heel.jpg
set in neck

generally as stated above, a set in neck is better. Most guitars (and some under) say 300-400$ are set in necks with the exception of Fender/Jackson. I'd say roughly 90%++ of artists in the metal/hardcore/hard rock category use set necks, simply because they give off much more sustain. Something to deal with the neck and body as "one" and not bolts seperating the two.

They also generally give you much more finger-room and make playing stuff on higher frets easier, since there isn't a block of wood to house the bolts. the pictures (especally 1&3 show that well)
in basic terms, if you play an open D power chord, the sound will last longer on a set neck then a bolt on by quite a few measures usually.

i hope that makes sence.

Difference: Bolt ons have much sharper attack. Most metal lead players will use a bolt on with an Ibanez-style neck joint, or neck through. It's because the glue will muffle the sound a bit. It's great for rhythm, though. Also, a bolt on that is extremely tight can have as much sustain, if not more, than a set-in neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
thanks for all the bolt-on stuff my squier is a bolt on, and i like that, but i need to try out some set necks to see which i prefer thanks again everyone

and ive seen that kind of thing before on the BC Rich guitars...mainly mockingbirds, but i didnt realise it was actually the neck!

Quote by cornmancer