I'm going to university (Wilfrid Laurier for you Canadians who know it) next year (BBA) and I was wondering whether I should get a new laptop to use in classrooms/lecture halls.
Are you at a significant disadvantage without a laptop during classes?

And on a sidenote, what kind of battery life should I be expecting in a laptop if I do get one?
I've been looking into the Inspiron 1720 and the XPS M1730 (both from Dell), and it seems that the Inspiron would do better in terms of battery life. However, if I bought an additional battery for the XPS to counter the disadvantages of a shorter battery life, would the XPS then be a better investment?
Congrats on going to Laurier. I went to Guelph, just up the road. I would get a laptop for sure. Even if you don't use it that much in lectures it's nice to have to take to the library or whatever. Basically the freedom you get with one is nice. I don't know about the battery situation, I'm too lazy to do the research, but get a laptop for university.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
youre not ****ed without a laptop, but they sure as hell do come in handy
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
i dont think its neccesary, but it is nice to have one. i have an inspiron and i take it to class and go on UG.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

you should talk to your school and see if they recommend a laptop or even require one (which is what they do for my school). for a laptop i think a battery would be the least of your worries and most classrooms have power outlets anyways so you could have ur laptop charging. from my personal experience and i haven't tried out the xps dells are pretty much crap. they are good for the money but if you want a laptop that lasts i'd say go mac all the way. but that's just me.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by riffmasterjosh
you should talk to your school and see if they recommend a laptop or even require one (which is what they do for my school). for a laptop i think a battery would be the least of your worries and most classrooms have power outlets anyways so you could have ur laptop charging. from my personal experience and i haven't tried out the xps dells are pretty much crap. they are good for the money but if you want a laptop that lasts i'd say go mac all the way. but that's just me.

I've heard great things about the XPS line lately, on the contrary, and I've had a good experience with Dell so far. Plus, the returning member discounts is what attracts me to Dell.

But yeah, that's a good idea about talking to my school - I'm gonna call them up as soon as I can to find out about how conducive the university's atmosphere is to laptop usage.

I'm worried about battery life though because when it comes to the power outlets... they're probably limited in number, and a bunch of students will probably be arguing over it when there aren't enough to accomodate everyone.
What are you studying? If it's something that requires a lap top during classes, then go for it. But if it's something where you'll be taking down stuff with pen and paper that doesn't readily work on laptops like science or maths equations, then buy a desktop instead.
If you're staying on res then you should get one, you shouldnt worry about battery life, because all lecture halls have sockets under the chairs where you sit (well at the uni I go to), so you can just have them plugged into the socket rather than use the battery life. But to be honest i wouldnt get laptop for lectures because you tend to not pay attention and do nothing in class but screw around or play games.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.