I spray painted my guitar white, then put clear coat on it. It left a very orange peely texture, so I tried to sand it off with 600 grit. This just made the bumps shiny and left the rest of it very dull. Now my guitar has thousands of little specks of gloss and matte. I followed previous suggestions of sanding it with finer grit paper, but that has done absolutely nothing.

I can not post pictures, it does not show up on my camera. I guess it's just not high enough resolution.

Please if anyone knows what I can do, help me. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, the new iron oxide sandpaper I got is leaving huge red stains on my white guitar.

Please does anyone know how I can salvage my guitar? It looks so hideous now... It feels very smooth, the smoothest surface I have ever touched, but it looks bumpy and speckly.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at May 17, 2008,
paint stirpper
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
OH MY GOD. I honestly think you are the most ****ing useless person around. I have seen you answer like 5 threads today, and all of your answers SUCKED.

I don't want to take the finish off man, I want to make it glossy.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
What type of paint did you use, and how many coats of color and clear did you spray?

If you used acrylic lauqer paint you're going to have to wait until it fully cures before you can sand it.

I would stay away from iron oxide sandpaper and go with an aluminum oxide type.

One of the books in this download is for painting you guitar, and has some real good advice about sanding.

Guitar Books.zip
I used spray paint... I dont what kind it was, it didn't say anything like acrylic or poly or nitro or anything... Yeah I have aluminum oxide now, it still does nothing. It hasn't fixed the orange peel look, and has left very tiny scratches in the paint. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
I spray painted my guitar white, then put clear coat on it. It left a very orange peely texture, so I tried to sand it off with 600 grit. This just made the bumps shiny and left the rest of it very dull. Now my guitar has thousands of little specks of gloss and matte. I followed previous suggestions of sanding it with finer grit paper, but that has done absolutely nothing.

I can not post pictures, it does not show up on my camera. I guess it's just not high enough resolution.

Please if anyone knows what I can do, help me. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, the new iron oxide sandpaper I got is leaving huge red stains on my white guitar.

Please does anyone know how I can salvage my guitar? It looks so hideous now... It feels very smooth, the smoothest surface I have ever touched, but it looks bumpy and speckly.

Orange peel is caused usually by spraying at an angle (instead of perpendicular) and/or spraying too close (excessive amount loaded too fast).

With that said, here's what I'd do:
1. Let the last coat dry/cure ... wait 24 hours.
2. Scuff sand the whole thing with 600 grit to remove all the glossy parts
3. Wipe away the "dust" with a damp (not wet) rag
4. Let it dry
5. Re-spray the White colorcoat. Make sure it's perpendicular, at least 8 to 12 inches away and don't stay in a spot, keep moving. The best thing is to start spraying outside of the body and end outside of the body. This avoids build-up, which happens when you start spraying inside the body.
6. Shake your spraycan for 30 seconds after each minute of use. This helps to avoid sputtering.
7. Let dry
8. After an hour, re-spray the White.
9. After an hour, start the clearcoat. Cover the entire body 3X in a row.
10. Wait an hour, clear 3X again.
11. Wait an hour, clear 3X again.
If at anytime during clearcoating you notice orange peel, wait an hour for it to dry, then wetsand with 2000 grit sandpaper. Wetsand gently, keep the paper wet. It's best to soak your sandpaper overnight.
12. Repeat steps 9 to 11 for 2 more days.
13. After 3-6 weeks, buff/polish.

Thank you. Finally a definitive answer lol. Thanks a ton ippon, UG would be lost without you... or at least I would!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
if you have several cotes of clear you dont need to repaint it,just let the paint
cure and the buff it with a medium cut cleaner and then buff it with polish
you need to wet sand after clear coating. Let it set for 3-6 weeks. start with 320 or 400 grit. get light pressure. get all the shine off. then go to the next highest grit after wards and repepat but this time removing the deep scratches. keep going until you reach about 1200-2000 grit. after that last sanding you either can leave it for a scratched, matte look, really clean up and get and almost smooth matte finish or buff it back to a shine. I've never buffed a guitar so I can't help with that.

My guitar at the Matte, scratched stage. I left it coz it's gonna get scratched just from playing and it's not that noticable.

and this is in bright sun light.

What you normally see.
minus the primer showing. lol
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Last edited by funguy at May 17, 2008,