I started playing guitar a few days ago. I'm still learning a lot, truth is I don't really know anything about music and all that, but I am learning.

What I please need help with is reading this tab / notes. My first question is this: How do I play this first part? GuiterPro shows what to play in read, but its impossible to play just those two strings, so do I play them all? How do I know how many strings to play? From what can I tell?

Some links to good information and tutorials/lessons and more would really be appreciated.
its not impossible to pluck more then one string... you have 5 fingers on your hand dont you?
Quote by pepsi1187
its not impossible to pluck more then one string... you have 5 fingers on your hand dont you?

what he said
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
Yeah.. I do. Im just not sure what do do. If I have a pick, and I pluck only those 2 marked in red(fretboard picture), thats seems a bit clumsy? How am I supposed to play it? Like that?

Thanks for the help.
you use your thumb to pluck it.

songs like those that use simultaneous notes like that are easier to play without a pick.. use your pointer/middle etc fingers to pluck high strings, and use your thumb to pluck the bass strings..
Last edited by pepsi1187 at May 17, 2008,
Oh, how do I know when it is a chord? ONe where you pluck all the strings or whatever.

Sorry im really new to all this jazz.

EDIT: ah, thanks makes a lot of sence. Thanks for the help man, will play it without the pick then.
Not only is it possible to pluck several strings at once, you can also mute strings between the fretted strings that you need to play. So, for example, on the first eighth note, where you need to play an E on the D string, and an F# on the e string, you could mute the G and B strings between the two, with your fretting hand (generally left hand) by lightly pressing one of your fingers on the two of them. Not enough to hold down the string, but enough to stop it from ringing/making a noise.

Ideally, I would play that with my index finger on the 2nd fret of the D string and also lightly holding it across the G and B strings, and then fretting the 2nd fret with my middle finger.
a chord is just three or more notes played together.. thats it.. you dont have to use a pick to strum either
Just so you know too, Krezay. Broken sounds a bit easier to play than it is. Kudos to learning that song when you've just recently picked up guitar. Best of luck with it.
Get lessons. If you just started a few days ago, you should start off with something less intense, like simple chords.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
I wouldn't know, heh. What do you recommend to start out with? And, do you have any good links to websites that have lessons that would be helpful to a complete beginner like myself?

Thanks again for all the help.
Honestly, you're not off to a bad start, no matter what anyone says. I'm just letting you know that it's a tricky song to be starting with; not that that's a bad thing. See, my philosophy on it is this; "If you want to further your capabilities of playing difficult songs, play songs that you should not be able to play."

Like for me, one of the first songs I ever learned was A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation by Trivium, and then shortly after, Master of Puppets.. now, don't get my wrong.. I kinda sucked at the songs for a long time.. but trust me, those songs that most people started off with were cake for me to learn.

That's just my way of looking at it. There's the long steady road of "mastering the songs that you can play", or the quick off the bat road of "learning things that you cannot play". Now, don't get me wrong, either: learning things ENTIRELY the way I did, is dumb.. there's been several times that I've had to work on my technique in order to correct mistakes that I picked up by FORCING myself to play things.. but other than that, I've come along just fine.
Quote by Krezay
I wouldn't know, heh. What do you recommend to start out with? And, do you have any good links to websites that have lessons that would be helpful to a complete beginner like myself?

Thanks again for all the help.

If you have a look at the very top of this webpage it has all the sections of this site (being guitar tabs, updates news etc...). One of them is lessons. Have a look.

Also, this one is pretty useful, All the lessons are videos on youtube with accompanying lesson notes and tabs/chords:
http://www.justinguitar.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe
http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoeSongs

and Cyberfret has taught me the odd thing here and there:
http://www.cyberfret.com/

There are plenty more but I'd stick to these for now so your not overwhelmed by different websites telling you lots of different things. I'd suggest the Justin Sandercoe videos are the best thing if your learning at home. Nothing like being shown how to do it. The cyberfret ones in my experience have all been good. The lessons here on UG can be a bit varied so watch out, make sure you read other peoples comments and I would stick to the high rated lessons to start with. Also, try to get out with some mates/family who play and get them to show you stuff, thats even better than watching videos and the play with people who are better than you, its a hard thing to do but if you find some patient people to have a play around with they will teach you things and motivate you to get better a lot. A constant jamming buddy of similar skills is good too, it means you both push each other.