Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I’m saving at the moment, and its taking me an eternity, meanwhile, I’m slowly becoming more and more indecisive I’ll try and keep this simple for you:
-I’m looking to spend from about £200 up to MAXIMUM £400, and will look used if necessary.
-I’m after a nice clean tone and an overdrive that goes up to rock (no metal for me). I like rock, indie, post rock and pop punk (Bloc Party, Foo Fighters, Mogwai, Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead etc&hellip.
-Some examples:
Clean: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JzIK5FaC38w
Overdriven: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XnZ1Ft20pHw < - intro

Amps I’ve already looked at are : Used AC30 (would probably need an overdrive), Tiny Terror, Laney VC30/LC30, Marshall JCM900.
Any more to suggest or recommend from that list?
Cheers for any help
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Last edited by cmakkidguitar at May 19, 2008,
Quote by thellamaking
Laney VC30 + Celestion G12H.

fix'd
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
If i got the Laney, it would have an overdrive and speaker swap (probably an Eminence)
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by cmakkidguitar
If i got the Laney, it would have an overdrive and speaker swap (probably an Eminence)

Pwnt for Stevo.

The VC can do those styles without an OD.
^ *cowers in shame* no, I'm just addicted to your thread
^^ Can it easily? It's the one i can't find anywhere to play, need to go on an amp hunt really..
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

With the gain on about 8-9 Foo Fighters tones come easily It'll be better louder but at bedroom levels it still gets there.
It has the gain I'm told, but would it sound too vintage?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Also, i getting the feeling this is going to be a very biased thread with only people from the Laney thread posting
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Well i'm content with the gain from it. And i believe the TT would be out of your price range. The LC isn't the best of amplifiers by any standards. And the JCM would do FF easily but not Indie stuff like Bloc Party.
The Tiny Terror I've played and it sounded sweeeet, so i was considering saving or looking used if it was suggested enough The LC looks like everything i would need but doesn't come too highly regarded.
The JCM i think doesn't have sufficient cleans, you're right
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

The LC is overly bright and is Modern enough for Foo Fighters, but not good for Arctic Monkeys and stuffs, due to it's Modern voicing. And the VC is basically the opposite when you think about it. But most bands you mentioned come under the vintage voiced medium gain side of things. Which the VC does to a tee
Quote by thellamaking
The LC is overly bright and is Modern enough for Foo Fighters, but not good for Arctic Monkeys and stuffs, due to it's Modern voicing. And the VC is basically the opposite when you think about it. But most bands you mentioned come under the vintage voiced medium gain side of things. Which the VC does to a tee

The bright voicing is assumably more Fender like tho, and i like a Fender clean and a Voxy clean (LC/VC dilemma ). Is it really too modern though? The too vintage voiced worries me more than it being too modern...
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

I see...

All i can say is play them i found the VC and overall better amp but thats personal taste.

Yeah, I'm trying to arrange a trip to Brighton for GAK, but i can't see it coming anytime soon
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Laney VC30!
I loved the one I tried in a shop and it covers your genres perfectly at a very (relatively) low price.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^cheers for the input!
Well it looks like the Laney's winning in this thread...
Thought there'd be more love for the AC30 tbh
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

For all except Foo Fighters, you just need a good clean amp and let pedals (Rat, Shredmaster, Muff) do the rest. Bloc Party = Hot Rod Deluxe, which should also do Radiohead, Explosions, Mogwai, Bloc Party and Arctic Monkeys cleans. But the AC/VC30 is more toward Arctic Monkeys I think.

Excellent choice of clean example btw.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at May 17, 2008,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
For all except Foo Fighters, you just need a good clean amp and let pedals (Rat, Shredmaster, Muff) do the rest. Bloc Party = Hot Rod Deluxe, which should also do Radiohead, Explosions, Mogwai, Bloc Party and Arctic Monkeys cleans. But the AC/VC30 is more toward Arctic Monkeys I think.

Excellent choice of clean example btw.

Cheers
Yea, i do like the look of the Hotrod, but with everyone telling me how null and void the overdrive section would be, I'm just not sure...
Clean amp with pedals would probably do what I'm looking for though. Thanks for the input
What good music taste you have btw
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Can Rocker 30s be had that cheap?
And does anyone know if the clean channel would be good enough for my needs? Seems a little limited without an EQ...
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gHwFIUbJkOo

Wow he gets some nice tones there
(not to mention he's a pretty good player)

Does anyone know about the versaitility of the Rocker's clean channel? Would it be able to pull off things like the example in my first post?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by cmakkidguitar

Does anyone know about the versaitility of the Rocker's clean channel? Would it be able to pull off things like the example in my first post?
It's as versatile as your guitar is, it has no tone shaping controls for itself, just a volume. Only different guitars can change the sound really.
These go to eleven...
Hmm, i think i need a different clean to that =/
I'd like something more tweakable, but the Orange does seem to have a drive channel perfect for me (albeit everyone only seems to love it for classic rock tones)
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

FWIW, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Same sort of price range, EXACTLY the same choice of song for clean tones, am looking for a slightly higher gain (think Tool) but can achieve that with a pedal. Looking for a quieter amp though, was looking at the Laney VC-15 with a Rat or a Shredmaster in front of it. Play a lot of post rock/stuff that goes from heavy to clean immediately so either need to get all of my distortion from a pedal, or have 2 channels.

Probably just gunna end up buying the VC-15 though, unless I get any better suggestions.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
^ *cowers in shame* no, I'm just addicted to your thread
^^ Can it easily? It's the one i can't find anywhere to play, need to go on an amp hunt really..

His thread? I think you'll find it's mine.

Get a VC30 and a Greenback.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by BCFC
FWIW, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Same sort of price range, EXACTLY the same choice of song for clean tones, am looking for a slightly higher gain (think Tool) but can achieve that with a pedal. Looking for a quieter amp though, was looking at the Laney VC-15 with a Rat or a Shredmaster in front of it. Play a lot of post rock/stuff that goes from heavy to clean immediately so either need to get all of my distortion from a pedal, or have 2 channels.

Probably just gunna end up buying the VC-15 though, unless I get any better suggestions.

I was actually considering putting 'prison sex' as an example of the higher gain things i play...
I don't gig but would like the opportunity to in the future, so i think 30 watts is what I'm after. Any more suggestions?

EDIT: ^Sorry Faz YOUR thread
Would a greenback go well with a VC? If i got it, I'd ask MrCarrots advice for a speaker
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Is the VC30 any different to the VC15 other than the wattage/volume?
You could probably find a used AC30 for that if you looked hard, you know. Some go on ebay for just over the 300 quid mark now and then.
Quote by scott__
You could probably find a used AC30 for that if you looked hard, you know. Some go on ebay for just over the 300 quid mark now and then.

Yeah i was looking at that as being one of my options....
I really don't know if i want a voxy clean or a Fender clean tbh . Can anyone advise me on this?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by BCFC
Is the VC30 any different to the VC15 other than the wattage/volume?

30 has a standby switch, wet/dry blend in the FX loop, 15 has tone knob.

they sound a little different too, not just volume, ,slight tonal difference. the 15 is superb for bedroom/jamming, 30 more suited to bandwork.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
And what about the LC-15? Can't work out what the difference is between the VC, LC and AC series..
^ VC has a more British voicing
LC has a more Fendery clean with more drive
And i didn't know Laney made an AC
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Well i played an LC yesterday but didn't particularly like the harsh, trebly clean. Overdrive sounded good though Still need to try out the VC, AC30 and a couple of others though
^ An AOR would be too overdriven i think. The cleans might not be what I'm looking for
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^
I think i just found the amp for me
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Yeah , it's on my lst. I'd need a decent overdrive for it though presumably, and i'd need to be able to figure out how to change the pots (something about taper pots?).
I tried a Blues Junior yesterday though and really liked what I heard
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Page 1 of 2