I've been playing my guitar alot recently. I play a huge range of music from Pink Floyd, Quo and Clapton to the chillis, John mayer and even a bit of Bon jovi!

The gear is in the Sig but just for clarification:

+ the GT8

Now don't flame the squier, it actually kicks arse and is well played and well loved and really does sound good. However i'm sick and tired of 60cycle hum. IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS! When i listed noiseless in my sig it was because they were supposed to be noisless but trust me they are not!

Now the pickups themselves i don't mind but the hum i do so i was thinking of replacing them with a set of Hot Gold Lace Sensors. I'd looked at the EMG Dave Gilmour pickups and although they are apparently amazing they are way too expenisive.

But my dilemar is this. Is it worth spending the £200 pounds to buy and have installed (i would do it myself but i love this guitar and don't fancy c**king it up) a set of hot gold sensors or is it money better spent on say a standard Mexican Strat bearing in mind my guitar plays really well.

Any thoughts, i just wan't a bit of advice?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
hmm, if you like the squire build, keep it, and add pickups. if you really dont like it, then get a mexican strat.

or you could get a red/silver/blue lace sensor set (or any color combination). it has more specific sounds.
Get the Fender Texas Blues Special pack of 3. They're a really nice set, if you ask me. And noiseless.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by Leat
Get the Fender Texas Blues Special pack of 3. They're a really nice set, if you ask me. And noiseless.

Tis an interesting idea shall look into it.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I love my red/silver/blue sensors so you's probably love a set of hot golds. I would do the long reviews I usually post but I am eating

summary: great sounds where versatility is also needed. No flaws and tone is amazing
Quote by Madsalty
I've been playing my guitar alot recently. I play a huge range of music from Pink Floyd, Quo and Clapton to the chillis, John mayer and even a bit of Bon jovi!

The gear is in the Sig but just for clarification:

+ the GT8

Now don't flame the squier, it actually kicks arse and is well played and well loved and really does sound good. However i'm sick and tired of 60cycle hum. IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS! When i listed noiseless in my sig it was because they were supposed to be noisless but trust me they are not!

Now the pickups themselves i don't mind but the hum i do so i was thinking of replacing them with a set of Hot Gold Lace Sensors. I'd looked at the EMG Dave Gilmour pickups and although they are apparently amazing they are way too expenisive.

But my dilemar is this. Is it worth spending the £200 pounds to buy and have installed (i would do it myself but i love this guitar and don't fancy c**king it up) a set of hot gold sensors or is it money better spent on say a standard Mexican Strat bearing in mind my guitar plays really well.

if you're going to invest that much money, get a new pickguard, controls, selector, etc. that way, if you decide to get a better guitar, you can just drop the old pickguard back in your Squier. The one with the Lace pickups will be ready to drop in the new guitar. You can easily handle those tasks yourself.

Just my $.02
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
if you're going to invest that much money, get a new pickguard, controls, selector, etc. that way, if you decide to get a better guitar, you can just drop the old pickguard back in your Squier. The one with the Lace pickups will be ready to drop in the new guitar. You can easily handle those tasks yourself.

Just my $.02

Follow what this guy said.

That's a great idea!

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Don't know if anyone here ever goes to GuitarFetish (I'm new here, first post and everything), but they are releasing some new noiseless single coil pickups. http://store.guitarfetish.com/coju20nepino.html

I've dealt with them before and they are a really good operation. Prices are pretty good too. And they ship to the UK.

I like the prewired pickguard idea too though. They sell them as well, but not with the noiseless pickups. I bet that if you shoot them an email they may work something out with you. The guys name is Jay and he is pretty good at replying to his emails.

Personally I had a similar problem with my strat. I loved the pickups in it, but the hum was driving me nuts. I ended up going with a set of Bill Lawrence L-280's. Great pickups, completely noiseless and still on par with the stock MIA pickups that I replaced. I lost just a bit from the neck pickup and the bridge actually sounded a lot better.

The Fender SCN pickups are also really nice (designed with Bill Lawrence as well). I put a set in a cheap MIM telecaster and its like night and day. Noiseless and so much more lively than the stock import pickups.

This is the best price that I've found on SCN's.

http://aamps.us/fender_pickups/fender_samarium_cobalt_noiseless_strat.html

If you look at their site they also sell prewired pickguards with Bill Lawrence pickups for about $200USD.

One other thing that you can do is buy an ElectroHarmonix noise debugger (about $120USD). I had one (bought it right after I replaced most of my single coil pickups). Worked really well and the tone is not effected, but I do think that it messed with the sustain on my bends which makes no sense to me at all. I ended up selling it along with some other stuff to fund another guitar, but for the money it was killer. And it works with every guitar you have.

And as for buying a MIM strat, you'll still have the hum. There are a few strats that are sold with the noiseless pickups from the factory, but I believe they are all the MIA ones and I have heard mixed reviews on everything other than the SCN's.
Quote by Madsalty
... Now don't flame the squier, it actually kicks arse and is well played and well loved and really does sound good. However i'm sick and tired of 60cycle hum. IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS! When i listed noiseless in my sig it was because they were supposed to be noisless but trust me they are not!

... Is it worth spending the £200 pounds to buy and have installed (i would do it myself but i love this guitar and don't fancy c**king it up) a set of hot gold sensors or is it money better spent on say a standard Mexican Strat bearing in mind my guitar plays really well.

No need to make excuses for the Squier ... if it plays well and you like it, those are the only things that matter.

£200 is pretty steep for Lace Sensors. My buddy and I recently scored a set of Fender-branded Lace Sensors (NOS - which are Gold Lace) for $50 on evilBay ... nobody bid and we sniped the last 10 seconds. Try evilBay, don't buy retail!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Just my $.02
But if Madsalty gets a "better" guitar in the future, chances are, he won't need to upgrade his PUs. Even if he did, why cannibalize from a perfectly good guitar? Just my thoughts.

Also, buy a soldering kit, usually $12 in my parts ... practice soldering/desoldering for an hour and minor guitar electronics upgrades will be cake!

Good Luck!

Quote by Ippon
But if Madsalty gets a "better" guitar in the future, chances are, he won't need to upgrade his PUs. Even if he did, why cannibalize from a perfectly good guitar? Just my thoughts.
... and well thought they are. I think it really depends on whether the Squier would be sold or not.
If it's a permanent member of his "family", then no reason to ever put it back to stock.

But if he sells it, he won't get the value back out of the new pickups. Keeping the old pickguard stock makes it a breeze to put it back to stock. and easy to keep the new pickups.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.