I've been trying to get sweep scales down for a while now, but I just can't get the sound I hear from alot of other sweeps, any one have any technique advise?
Man... Signatures are hard to come up with!
Maybe they are sweeping arpeggios? I dunno, I'm not an expert on sweeping but I thought it was generally arpeggio based.
^that is correct. Sweeps are At least typically arpeggios, not scales. I've never seen a sweep picked scale. TS, if you could be a bit more specific about what you see as different between the sweeps you hear and the ones you are working, you will probably get more help.
are u doing the sweeps above the neck pickup?
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
More On topic, these are the sweeps that I use mostly :

e-----------------------15--19--15--------------------------------------------14--18--14--------------------
B------------------17------------------17---------------------------------16------------------16---------------
G------------16-----------------------------16----------------------15-----------------------------15----------
D-------17---------------------------------------17------------16---------------------------------------16-----
A--19-------------------------------------------------19--18-------------------------------------------------18
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have any others in E for me to throw in to some phrases with them?
Hey thanks alot guys, I was trying to do entire pents & dorians while sweeping; that makes alot more sence
Quote by Next_Hendrix
Hey thanks alot guys, I was trying to do entire pents & dorians while sweeping; that makes alot more sence

What do you mean you were trying to do "dorians"?
There are no "sweep scales". Sweep picking is a technique.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I think 95-98% of guitarists that are asking for advice on sweeping are far from ready to sweep and dont need to yet and overestimate the importance of this technique and probably should be working on basic things that they think they have "mastered". Not to mention many want to be sweep pickers probably dont know any theory or what a key is.

*puts on flame shield*
Here's a statistic: 50% of your posts in this thread are unnecessary and could have been saved an existence through the use of the edit button.
Quote by :-D
Here's a statistic: 50% of your posts in this thread are unnecessary and could have been saved an existence through the use of the edit button.

/-\liceNChains:

You're pretty much correct, though.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
I think 95-98% of guitarists that are asking for advice on sweeping are far from ready to sweep and dont need to yet and overestimate the importance of this technique and probably should be working on basic things that they think they have "mastered". Not to mention many want to be sweep pickers probably dont know any theory or what a key is.

*puts on flame shield*

Although I'm not the TS I'm gunna reply anyway, I don't know a lot of Theory, and I'm sure there are many Techniques I have yet to master, but that doesn't mean I shoudn't learn to sweep =/ And if you'd read my earlier post, you'd see that I mentioned those sweeps being in E so the comment about not knowing a key was irrelivent. So please, if you're trying to make yourself look better than us because you know how to play a 'C Aeolian Scale, adding a diminished 4th every 7 notes', don't bother
I didn't mean a scale for sweeps, I meant that I had been hammering on the dorian while sweeping, trying 2 play the entire scale in one fluid sweep
You can do that if you do an even 3 note per string pattern for it, such as
|----------------------------------------7-8-10
|------------------------------7-8-10
|----------------------5-7-9
|---------------5-7-9
|--------5-7-9
|5-7-8

However, a more proper term would be Legato then sweep scales.
i would be amazed if someone was able to sweep a scale, because sweeps are typically meant for arpeggios and usually follow the rule of two notes per string max. expect on the top where legato, tapping, and sliding are added for flavor.
But the closest you can get is playing a scale sweep-like is to employ economy picking, that is just playing something while using the same stroke direction for the subsequent string. and referring to the example directly above, try to playing that in all legato, but stroking the first note of each string downward to get the smooth sweeping sound that one would achieve with an arpeggio, not a scale
Thanks again, I'll give that a try, but I'm still working on making the sweep itself sound fluid, I've just been trying to sweep with chords since the last post. So far I've gone up on A min, down on A min 7, back up on A sus 4, and back down on A min again.
Quote by \m/Gaz
I can't think of any of his songs that include sweeps either

I've never seen him sweep pick. I've got several live DVDs.

He didnt have to.

Edit- I rarly have seen satriani sweep pick...we all know he can tho..(that was random...oh well)ha
Quote by \m/Gaz
Although I'm not the TS I'm gunna reply anyway, I don't know a lot of Theory, and I'm sure there are many Techniques I have yet to master, but that doesn't mean I shoudn't learn to sweep =/ And if you'd read my earlier post, you'd see that I mentioned those sweeps being in E so the comment about not knowing a key was irrelivent. So please, if you're trying to make yourself look better than us because you know how to play a 'C Aeolian Scale, adding a diminished 4th every 7 notes', don't bother

I reread my post and I cant find where i boasted about my music theory expertise so i dont know what your talking about.
The comment about not knowing keys was about most people so your knowing a key doesnt change its relevance despite what you may think.
So you basically misread and put your own interpretations on my post and missed the point alltogther. You = FAIL
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at May 21, 2008,
Quote by :-D

Considering their are tons of lessons on this site about sweeping, a dedicated thread in the advanced techniques forum and various other threads about sweeping and a billion youtube videos i think this whole thread is quite unecessary. Perhaps if the TS used the searchbar you would have been saved from my reckless posting.
But that was still a nice burn ill hand you that.
Quote by one vision
I dont think hendrix even used sweep picking lol...

He does one in Purple Haze. That's one.
Hendrix didn't use sweeps, before I posted this thread I looked at a few lesson sights & videos, but I couldn't find any in slow motion, I'm still getting a little better, but if anyone has any good links, that would be greatly appreciated.
I'm working on getting the speed up on this one right now, really liking the sound of it :

|-----------------------14--17--14-----------------------
|-------------------16----------------16-------------------
|---------------17------------------------17---------------
|----------14----------------------------------14----------
|------14------------------------------------------14------
|--12--------------------------------------------------12--
A "sweep scale" is just a scale played with legato. If you mean sweeping arpeggios, it IS a tough technique to get down cleanly at first. As things stand now, I can hardly do anything that deviates from the standard major and minor triads effectively. This is the kind of thing you need to woodshed with a metronome to get good at.
Watch the neoclassical lesson on this site it has the tabs and shows you how to do it, work with that for about a week you'll be good.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Phobos&Deimos
He does one in Purple Haze. That's one.

which part, the solo?

I don't think he does but I could be wrong.

If he does, its not very noticible.
this is somethin i practiced with

E---------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------
D--------------12---------------------------
G-----------14---14------------------------
B--------15-----------15--------------------
E ----12-------------------12h15h12------

and do that slowly an repeat and speed up
it works