A good bass player is basically just trying to copy me.

Many fail.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by killerswan
Arif Mirabouldibinladin - Protest The Hero

Truth.
Him & Dan Briggs (Between The Buried And Me)

Just cause their techniques and skills are unbelievable

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Justin Chancellor. Strange time signatures, amazing writing talent, actual creative contribution, and bad a** hair. Tool
Fight the machine.

Quote by slaveofsatan
She lives in the next town!

You must ride your family cow over there and make sweet small town love. Then make sure she isn't the town bicycle.

Ressort (Click to Help Ressort!)
The only thing all my favourite bassists have in common is that they play a low frequency guitar-shaped string instrument on songs I like to listen to.
Quote by Strati
I didn't really ask for names of good players. I asked for oppinions as to what makes one.

Technical and writing ability that players such as these have.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
play more than just root notes
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Same thing that makes a "good" guitarist, or for that matter, musician in general.

They can play with their hands the music in their heads.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I think what makes a good bass player is both the ability to hold down the rhythm of the song, but also play a good melody.

Not necessarily at the same time, but that would be cool too.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
techniques and integrating those techniques into their regular playing, such as Billy Sheehan with his 'Economy of Motion' or Victor Wooten with his Double thumbing
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
keeping up with bass function while incorporating harmonic and melodic parts into thier piece. Its important to snap with the drummer and its important to be able to do work by yourself. A great bass player is like a ninja, sometimes you cant tell that they are there because they snap so close to the actual beat, next moment they are blasting in. And a really good bassist should shape the song so that it is dynamically diffrent from a bass point of view,
i enjoy head
A good bass player is one that fills his or her part in his or her given band or act.
The.
Quote by Jazzcore23
keeping up with bass function while incorporating harmonic and melodic parts into thier piece. Its important to snap with the drummer and its important to be able to do work by yourself. A great bass player is like a ninja, sometimes you cant tell that they are there because they snap so close to the actual beat, next moment they are blasting in. And a really good bassist should shape the song so that it is dynamically diffrent from a bass point of view,

People don't realize how hard it is to play bass. Have they ever tried snapping and playing at the same time? You simply don't have enough hands.

...Neen-jah... totally have my next stage costume idea. Since I'm not in a band right now and all.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
^ Yes. A good bass player supports his band- providing the substance that welds the guitar, drums and vocals together.

He/ She knows when to play something fancier, and when to play to the minimum or not at all.

A good bass player must lock in and remain tight with the drums to keep the groove and rhythm tight.
signature
Quote by dancesisidance
Truth.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Its great to see people finally recognizeing them as the beasts they really are.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Chris Wood - Medeski, Martin & Wood
One of the best "groove" bassists out there. There maybe all this sound going around him but his groove is always there even if it is completely different from when it starts.

Phil Lesh - Grateful Dead
Seriously underrated, i've listen to bootleg after bootleg and concluded that the best shows and jams were always when he was one of the loudest, really leading the jam.

Ryan Stasik - Umphrey's Mcgee
Listen to Andy's Last Beer
Quote by dancesisidance
Truth.

This.

protest the hero and the between the buried and me bassists are both amazing. Perfect examples of what else can be done in metal over crazy riffing guitars.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Basically any bassist that can play outside of the root note mindset without going overboard. Those bassists who hold it down and play fills that you hear after the 10th time of listening to a song that make you rewind it over and over again- Those are the keepers.