Wtf. Had a buddy of mine (has been playing for about a year) come over. And we were jammin. So I tell him I have trouble tapping and he told me it might be that my bridge was too high.. So he lowers it using his house key lol. My tapping was slightly easier but when I tried playing today my guitar sounded freakin weird. Sounded like it was on clean when it was on overdrive.

So I fix the settings and it's ok now I guess (we were messin with my amp controls anyway.) Now I have trouble bending a dang string because the bridge IMO is wayy too low now. It's as low as it can go. My preferration is metal music so my buddy said that to get more of a metal sound my bridge needed to be lower.

How low should the bridge of my guitar be? Is it too low or just right?

Bottom line my guitar sounds and feels different than it used to.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Nobody?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
no offense man, but it sounds like your friend ****ed up your guitar, if i were you, id just try to raise the bridge until the strings felt normal, or if you really want the setup changed, go to guitar center or somewhere and have a tech do it, its not that expensive
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Quote by Xj2252bX
no offense man, but it sounds like your friend ****ed up your guitar, if i were you, id just try to raise the bridge until the strings felt normal, or if you really want the setup changed, go to guitar center or somewhere and have a tech do it, its not that expensive

I want to know if he ACTUALLY messed up my guitar. If I took a pic from a sideview of my bridge/strings would it help for an evaluation? lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Slow the boards are today.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
What he did by lowering the bridge was to lower the action. When that happened, the strings wound up closer to the pickups, making the whole thing sound different. Nothing wrong with nice close action as long as it doesn't buzz. Might need to lower each pup a little to get back the sound you had before. There's a sweet spot above each pickup's pole piece where the magnetic field is in just the right position to sense the vibrations of the string. Play around with it a little and you'll see what I mean. Just make sure you know where it is to start off with so you can put it back later on if you need to. Use a ruler with 32nd's on it if possible. Or make some gauges that have the current positions marked on them so you can get the pups back there later.
After messing with the amp a bit more it actually sounds great. Must've been the amp. But there's still two problems i still have: A) I'm getting some barely noticable string buzz and b) It my sound dampens when i play anything from the 15th fret and onward.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Yea, he lowered the action too much. Raise it back up some, and you still might need to readjust your pickups. When you fret the strings down in that area, 15th fret to 22 or 24, whatever yours is, you bring the strings really close to the pickups. There's got to be somewhat of a gap in between the string and pup. If you lower them too much, then open strings will be affected too. Just so you know. I usually just try to get the best of both worlds out of it when I adjust pickups.
Quote by LeftyDave
Yea, he lowered the action too much. Raise it back up some, and you still might need to readjust your pickups. When you fret the strings down in that area, 15th fret to 22 or 24, whatever yours is, you bring the strings really close to the pickups. There's got to be somewhat of a gap in between the string and pup. If you lower them too much, then open strings will be affected too. Just so you know. I usually just try to get the best of both worlds out of it when I adjust pickups.

I'm confused. Just raise the bridge a bit?

He didn't touch the pickups.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I'm confused. Just raise the bridge a bit?

He didn't touch the pickups.

Bridge saddles. I assume that's what your friend lowered when he first messed with your guitar? That lowered the action. The pickups didn't move, but because the action is now lower, the strings are now closer to the pickups, especially when you fret up the neck a ways. This is also why you are getting some fret buzz, the strings are too close to the fretboard, in other words the action is too low. So, raise it back up some. There should be two little allen head set screws on each saddle. Turn them in about 1 full turn each(to keep everything even) and see how it is. I guess I'm still assuming something here. Do you have a standard Fender Strat style trem? If it's a Floyd Rose, then forget everything I've said so far. I haven't worked with those nor do I care to. If it's a Gibson Tune-O-Matic style bridge, just turn the two thumb screws under each outboard edge of the bridge up a bit. That's how you raise the action on those. Might need to de-tune all the strings first so they're easier to turn.
Once you get the action where you like it and the guitar plays good for you, then adjust your pickups if you need to.
Quote by LeftyDave
Bridge saddles. I assume that's what your friend lowered when he first messed with your guitar? That lowered the action. The pickups didn't move, but because the action is now lower, the strings are now closer to the pickups, especially when you fret up the neck a ways. This is also why you are getting some fret buzz, the strings are too close to the fretboard, in other words the action is too low. So, raise it back up some. There should be two little allen head set screws on each saddle. Turn them in about 1 full turn each(to keep everything even) and see how it is. I guess I'm still assuming something here. Do you have a standard Fender Strat style trem? If it's a Floyd Rose, then forget everything I've said so far. I haven't worked with those nor do I care to. If it's a Gibson Tune-O-Matic style bridge, just turn the two thumb screws under each outboard edge of the bridge up a bit. That's how you raise the action on those. Might need to de-tune all the strings first so they're easier to turn.
Once you get the action where you like it and the guitar plays good for you, then adjust your pickups if you need to.

Went to a guitar center and they fixed everything . But yeah its a floyd
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by ferretman
he's not your buddy, guy

He's not your guy, buddy.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by neoclassical85
He's not your guy, buddy.

FAIL

Next is: I'm not your guy, friend.
Then: I'm not your friend, buddy.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Fail to both of you for reviving a 2-year-old thread...
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!