I've learned the fretboard, chords construction, scales (major and minor), modes ...
and now i feel stuck (i know theres a LOT more to learn), but, shouldn't i be able to do something with that in my pocket? like create something of my own?. I'm tired of learning other peoples song. I want to put into action what i have learned but i don't seem to come up with anything that i like. All i come out with sounds boring and unoriginal, and i don't know what to do. I feel that all this time i have spent learning has been for nothing. Any comments on this?
Get a recorder. This way you can write backing tracks
and experiment/apply what you've learned.

learn new scales
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scchnam=Bebop+Major&get2=Get

Some recorders comes with built in FX. Mine dose

You might also consider getting a processor.
There's plenty on the market.
I have the GT-8.
It has all kinds of patches for different guitar tones.
You can experiment with different tones or play different style.
Last edited by Ordinary at May 17, 2008,
Quote by Ordinary
Get a recorder. This way you can write backing tracks
and experiment/apply what you've learned.

learn new scales
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scchnam=Bebop+Major&get2=Get

thats exactly what i do lol but the leads i come up with are just boring and unoriginal, and im sick of doing that, if i know major and minor scales in every key and still cant come up with anything i like... learn more scales?
oh.. i add something about a processor .This way you can experiment
with different tones.

i also have a drum machine...this way i can experiment with
different types of druming stlye.
Even if i use the same progression..it'll sound different with a different
druming style.

You don't have learn all the scales in oneday..just pick a different one
and try to write a song around that.

I'm trying out the bebop major..it's changing the way I do my riffs
a little bit becuase of the #5.
I'm incorporating it with the blues scale or minor pentatonic.
I use the 4th of the regular maj or min scale as a reference and it becomes
like a root of the bebop major. This way it won't clash

I'm also doing the natural pentatonic.
Last edited by Ordinary at May 17, 2008,
How long have you been playing? And how long have you been trying to write music? Just like anything else, writing music takes practice. You have to work at it. Write some crappy tunes and keep trying to make them better. Eventually you'll get better at it. Most great artists work for 10 years or so on their craft before doing their best work.
i think when you know the backbones from that point onward its matter of feeling and emotion creating something for yourself
I know people who have finished "Creative Writing" classes. This doesn't mean they're going to be able to write a book in a week. It takes time. Don't get discouraged, just keep plugging away and I'm sure you'll come up with something you like. Of course, when that day comes, you'll be happy for about a minute until you break down your own stuff and find every little thing wrong with it. Remember, everyone's their own worst critic, try to have others listen to your stuff with you, and get an outsiders opinion. Maybe what you've come up with already isn't as bad as you think.