Ok... Recently, I started learning "Panama" and "Ain't Talkin bout Love" by Van Halen. Now, these are in Standard tuning, which is a rarity for me. I'm usually in Drop C or Drop B, playing Slipknot, and Breaking Benjamin songs. However, Eddy Van Halen has always been my favorite guitarist, so I decided to play some of his stuff and see how it adds to my playstyle.

Well... I had noticed this before hand, but now its just a pain in my ass. I have to press my strings rediculously hard to get the correct note and avoid playing it dead/muted. Especially, now that the strings are tighter. It may be my guitar, (which, I read in a few online articles is a really crappy guitar) Cruise VMI (pics in profile ) which, only has 22 frets. I also noticed, whenever I play a friends guitar, it soooo much easier to fret correctly. My playing speed and accuracy increase drastically. I, more or less, don't even have to try anymore.

So... Any ideas on how to loosen up my strings a bit?
you play drop B? you probably have thick strings.
thick strings + standard tuning = high tension
Lower the action as much as you can (watch out for fret buzz though). Thats really the only way, either that or get used to the way your strings feel.

Have a professional do it though, chances are you'll get a better job done and you dont run the risk of messing up that way.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
You're just used to playing with floppy ass strings.

Get a small gauge, and lower the action a bit.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Get used to it man! Try to strengthen your hands a bit.. High gauge strings sound good anyways But you could always drop the gauge.. I recommend 10's if you're gonna be changing between Drop B and E Standard..
If you are playing heavy gauge strings in standard...well you are gonna have some super tensioned strings. If you want to play in standard for a while you should just put on some new strings. 9's or 10's will make it much easier.
In the Valley of Vung
True, I did put some thicker, drop tuning specialized strings on recently. But, before that, I had just a normal set of average size strings and it was still much harder to play than any other guitars I tried.

Lol, I am pretty used to it. Been playing this guitar for 9 months. and, I couldn't really be used to playing with loose strings... Since, I don't have any other guitars. Thanks for the reply though man.
Last edited by CraZyB0y at May 17, 2008,
Quote by CraZyB0y
True, I did put some thicker, drop tuning specialized strings on recently. But, before that, I had just a normal set of average size strings and it was still much harder to play than any other guitars I tried.

Is your action too high, that will make it hard to play. I have noticed that the lower the action the easier it is to play anything.
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by LastCaress88
Lower the action as much as you can (watch out for fret buzz though). Thats really the only way, either that or get used to the way your strings feel.

Have a professional do it though, chances are you'll get a better job done and you dont run the risk of messing up that way.
this is true but it would be a pain in the ass to go to a professional every time you want to switch back from standard tuning to Drop B and vice versa. thats why its nice to have two guitars, one for standard tuning and the other for what ever you normally play on.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Yeah... I was planning on buying a new guitar pretty soon anyway. Something nice, but not rediculously expensive. Btw, in the UG'ers opinions, how bad is my guitar?
It probably plays like a jive turkey. You need one with hot black slacks and some sunglasses.
Quote by HandsomeFrank
It probably plays like a jive turkey. You need one with hot black slacks and some sunglasses.

Already got the sunglasses. They have a mirrored finish on the outside too.
Just to let you know, most of Van Halen's songs, in the Lee Roth era, are tuned down 1/2 step. Eg: Panama, Ain't Talkin Bout Love, Mean Street, Unchained, and the list goes on!