Hey, I'm planning on buying an LP Custom (Epiphone, I dont have $3400 to buy a Gibson). I really like the gold hardware, and I was wondering if the pickup covers on the pickups make a difference in sound? I've heard from somewhere that they take away some of the brightness and make it more bassy, is that true? Either way, I plan on putting in a Super Distortion or an SH-4 or something, but I want to be able to keep the gold pickup covers if it's possible. Any help you can give would be appreciated, thanks.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
you can buy the pickups with the covers

and if you want a high quality lp dont go epi, my burny is amazing with stock pafs, played it next to my old teachers giibby custom and the only major difference was my neck was much nicer

look for Edwards, Burny, Greco or Orville les paul on ebay, they are almost all superior to epis and edwards and orvilles are usually better then gibsons.

Edit: My burny cost 300.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at May 17, 2008,
You can buy a SuperDistortion or a Seymour Duncan with a gold pickup cover? Please send a link if you have one. I still need to know what pickup covers do to the sound though.

I'll look into those brands you mentioned. I'm a little hesitant to buy offline (which is what I'd have to do) because I know Epiphone's quality control is all over the place. I oredered a LP Standard B stock from them, and I love it. It's amazing quality for the price and maker of it.

I dont have a ton of money to spend though, I just bought an RR1 a few months ago. Granted, it was a 1990 used model and only $750 with the HSC, but I still dont have alot to spend. I was hoping maybe $700 or so, which was why I was going with Epiphone.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
a noticed a bit of mudness when upgraded from sg to sg standard. my conclusion was the pickup cover since my old sg were open coiled
Quote by LastCaress88

I dont have a ton of money to spend though, I just bought an RR1 a few months ago. Granted, it was a 1990 used model and only $750 with the HSC, but I still dont have alot to spend. I was hoping maybe $700 or so, which was why I was going with Epiphone.

with 700 you can get an amazing edwards, made by esp in japan, great quality control, Seymour duncans stock, jst awesome lps, seriously ive bought most of my kit off of ebay and its no big deal, just make sure the seller has good feedback