I know i tendt to mock bad/irrelevant thread titles, but now i'm seriously losing my mind.

My guitar never stays in tune. The tuners are horrible (epiphone, cheap tuners).
Can someone help me chose some goode ones?

Keep under 40 Eur

Thanks in advance
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by Reckd
you sure its been set up properly?

Have used it for two years. Been to the shop a few times. So the setup should be right.

What do you suspect if it werent the tuners?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by Nathan Milley
my epiphone guitar came with grover tuners they work fine

Well, my didn't.

Its a $250 guitar.
Double poster...

But, I use a little silver Fender FT-100 Chromatic Tuner, came with my Accoustic guitar. Sometimes, it skips over a few tones if you drop it, or mess with it while tuning. Other than that, it works fine. Probly could get it pretty cheap off eBay.
Quote by CraZyB0y
Double poster...

Sorry about the double post, I don't know how to double quote
Well if it's a $250 guitar then no, it won't stay in tune. Buy a set of either locking tuners or Grover/Gotoh brand tuners, those brands tend to be the best. Also, you may want to buy a new nut, preferably bone or ervana (sp?!?!) compensated.

Plus, you may want to try the stringing technique shown here. I just tried it and it really works, my brand new strings have only dropped maybe a halfstep once or twice and I've been playing for a good two hours hard now.
Quote by edusty2010
Well if it's a $250 guitar then no, it won't stay in tune. Buy a set of either locking tuners or Grover/Gotoh brand tuners, those brands tend to be the best. Also, you may want to buy a new nut, preferably bone or ervana (sp?!?!) compensated.

Plus, you may want to try the stringing technique shown here. I just tried it and it really works, my brand new strings have only dropped maybe a halfstep once or twice and I've been playing for a good two hours hard now.

The problem is that the nearest guitar shop is 1.5 hours of train away.
Train is expensive(norway)

About the stringing, i use another. more complicated technique. But it's at least just as good.
Replace the nut with some good quality graphite nut and find yourself some decent tuners...off ebay cause I don't think you'll be able to find new, decent tuners for that little money...

Goodluck...if you lived a bit closer I'd send you some of the heaps of tuners I have lying around...but Norway is not nextdoor to me
Quote by perkristian876
The problem is that the nearest guitar shop is 1.5 hours of train away.
Train is expensive(norway)

About the stringing, i use another. more complicated technique. But it's at least just as good.

Well then the only way you're not going to come out of tune I guess would either be to buy better strings (Idk what you use, so this is only if you're using a really cheap set) or maybe try ebay, I mean there are some good deals but locking tuners are basically the quick fix for coming out of tune. I think you can get a set of Grovers pretty cheap on ebay, even brand new. That or just deal with it until the next time you HAVE to go somewhere close to the guitar shop, then just combine the trips.

Hmmm... just out of curiousity could you give me a video to that technique maybe? I like to try different ways to string all the time just to see pros/cons of each.
Quote by perkristian876
Sorry about the double post, I don't know how to double quote

After your first quote, you can quote something else, copy the quote, back out of the post and then edit your post with the first quote to add the second.

By the way, I had an old Epiphone LP custom a few years back and the tuners were crap. The thing just wouldn't stay in tune. The guy I traded it to put Grovers on and it was cured. He also put Invaders in it, ruining it again.
Last edited by carpepax at May 18, 2008,
Quote by edusty2010
Well if it's a $250 guitar then no, it won't stay in tune.

Any guitar will stay in tune.
Seriously, ANY guitar.
You just have to string it properly.

I've seen 100 dollar guitars stay in tune.

TS: Restring the guitar like this http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html and give us an update on it's tuning stability.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
Seriously, ANY guitar.

TS: Restring the guitar like this http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html and give us an update on it's tuning stability.

Oh jesus, point taken lol. I think the only way better than that would be to super glue the strings to the tuners then coat them with a role of duct tape
Quote by edusty2010
Oh jesus, point taken lol. I think the only way better than that would be to super glue the strings to the tuners then coat them with a role of duct tape

No, the only thing better than that is getting those tuners by planet waves.
The string goes through, and the tuner locks the string into place, so you don't need any winds. No winds = No slippage = tuning stability.
Quote by Moe.

No, the only thing better than that is getting those tuners by planet waves.
The string goes through, and the tuner locks the string into place, so you don't need any winds. No winds = No slippage = tuning stability.

Woah, I've never heard of those, I'll have to look them up... Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing, it would like never go out of tune... But what happens if you want to go into drop D? You'd have to leave some string there or when you strung it put it in drop D, wouldn't you?
Quote by edusty2010
Woah, I've never heard of those, I'll have to look them up... Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing, it would like never go out of tune... But what happens if you want to go into drop D? You'd have to leave some string there or when you strung it put it in drop D, wouldn't you?

I suppose you'd have to leave some string on the low E at least.
Quote by Moe.
Seriously, ANY guitar.

Thats how i've always strung my guitar.

EDIT: I use Ernie Ball regular slinky.
Last edited by perkristian876 at May 18, 2008,
Quote by j4ck0f4lltr4d3s
What is the brand of your dude?

Strings? Guitar?

Strings= Ernie Ball Regular Slinky
Guitar= Epiphone Les Paul 100

Why am i interested in plucking on that cheap half crappy guitar?
Its my first guitar, it is better to play on than my other guitars and has a good neck pup.
What I do with my LP copy (stays in tune for days):

1: Change strings (don't forget to stretch them!!).
2: Tune up like you always would.
3: Do a big bend on every string.
4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 as often as necessary.
5: You guitar should now be rock solid in-tune.

Cheap(er) stuff that should make tuning up/staying in tune easier:
- Self-lubricating nut, like the Graphtech ones.
- Self-lubricating saddles. Graphtech again.
- Dunno.. anyone else?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
What I do with my LP copy (stays in tune for days):

1: Change strings (don't forget to stretch them!!).
2: Tune up like you always would.
3: Do a big bend on every string.
4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 as often as necessary.
5: You guitar should now be rock solid in-tune.

Cheap(er) stuff that should make tuning up/staying in tune easier:
- Self-lubricating nut, like the Graphtech ones.
- Self-lubricating saddles. Graphtech again.
- Dunno.. anyone else?

seriously guys, I know how to string my guitar. I have done this for years.
In that case, your guitar is just bad. I wouldn't even bother with the new nut or saddles.

Maybe someone else knows a miracle cure
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
In that case, your guitar is just bad. I wouldn't even bother with the new nut or saddles.

Maybe someone else knows a miracle cure

When i pull some of the strings, i can see the tuner moving.
That's crazy.. OK, you need new tuners..

Well, all I can say is: Schaller, Grover and Gotoh have a good reputation.
I have no experience with them though, so you may wanna wait till someone else comes along who does.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
That's crazy.. OK, you need new tuners..

Well, all I can say is: Schaller, Grover and Gotoh have a good reputation.
I have no experience with them though, so you may wanna wait till someone else comes along who does.

Thanks for your help dude

I won't buy tuners in norway. This is because of the redicolous prices. Thats why I'm ordering from that link.

I won't order from ebay either. I'm ordering some other stuff from thomann, so it is more practical to order the tuners along.

The nut alleready on the guitar was recently filed and fixed due to intonation trouble. It's a graphite nut btw.