Hi all,

Just started out, having lessons at the moment, wanted to play the guitar since I was little but only just managed to get time for some lessons, I am 25 now. What a long wait!!

Anyway I am looking for my first guitar (looking at second hand ones) Budget around $350 (£180) for first guitar and amp...

These are some of the bands I am into:

U2 (favourite band)
Arctic Monkeys
RHCP
Libertines
Babyshambles
Dirty Pretty Things
Razorlight
Kings of Leon
White Stripes
Clapton (doesnt everyone?)

They are just a few, what first guitar do you suggest, probably looking at a copy to start off with, then as I get more into it can get a proper one.

Also what amp just for my bedroom practising on?

Cheers

Danny
Check out a Squier Strat, I think it's the 51 with the alder body, and as for amps, check out the Epiphone Valve Jr.

It should come up to about $300.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
yamaha pacifica 112v is about £150
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I got a squier strat and a fender 15G amp at my local center.

got it for around $300
Quote by x0rsist
pour some light acid over your exposed genitals. Ha..lets see you sleep then!

Quote by Abe
In Soviet Russia, toilet ****s down your throat.

^^
Quote by stephen_rettie
valve junior and some cheap strat to upgrade later, perhaps and agile if they go that cheap

http://www.rondomusic.com/sst5734.html

I forgot about Agile.

www.rondomusic.com

Look around that site, TS. Affordable, decent guitars.

I still suggest that you get the Valve Jr. though.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Cheers Fellas,

Are strats better for my style of music then? Also what about a fat strat or is that the wrong one for this style?

Cheers

Danny
Quote by dannyd4315
Clapton (doesnt everyone?)

i dont
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
epiphone les paul special II or an epiphone les paul junior, and any cheap 15 watt combo amp
The first guitar i got was a "Liberty 303", incredibly light guitar, strat copy.. it plays tremendously, the only problem are the crappy pickups.

If you can find that (i doubt it, though) I'd get that, it cost me $150 for it and the amp.
rawr
Quote by dannyd4315
Cheers Fellas,

Are strats better for my style of music then? Also what about a fat strat or is that the wrong one for this style?

Cheers

Danny

It's all preference really.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by dannyd4315
Cheers Fellas,

Cheers

Danny

at this point you probabley wont be able to tell. ppl just tend to make a lot of cheap strats. Right now you just need somehting to play, worry about tone and whatnot later. Although the valve junior is a brilliant first step as far as tone goes.
I am happy going with squier or epiphone copies, I would rather go for a better copy and spend a bit more that a crappy copy.

Cheers

Danny
Quote by nauc
so $350 for guitar and amp?

or what

Yes mate, it will just be a guitar for a few months, maybe six, until I get better!
Quote by megakravitz
maybe a barracuda guitar with behringer amp? good beginner stuff.

Nooo! Don't buy a piece of crap behringer, buy a roland cube.
yeah as for the guitar i recomend the yamaha pacifica 112 and for amp the roland microcube. I know the valvejunior would be good as your beginning with a tube amp but I feel a beginner needs more versatility, roland microcube all the way
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Cheers fellas,

I think I am definatley going to go with the microcube, seems like a good choice.

Still cant decide on the guitar though.

Is there a list somewhere of what guitars for which style of music?

I was looking at a tele,strat,fat strat (all squier to start off with) or an epiphone les paul.

What do you think?

Cheers

Danny
I would also like to suggest the Yamaha Pacifica 112, i know people who started out with that guitar and they are really positive about it. Its a great guitar for the money.
woot! you are the first person on UG that I have seen that has the same favorite band as me! ROCK ON U2!
A Strat is just about the most versatile guitar you could buy. A Squier Strat is probably your best bet as a starter. Go for an Affinity Fat Strat - it's cheap and very versatile. For an amp, a Roland Cube or Micro Cube would be a great start, as they sound great and have onboard effects so you can experiment. Try these:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat $149.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510629
There's also one in black and chrome for $199.99:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Black-and-Chrome-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=511944
Roland Cube 15w with mode selector $99.00
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030
Or Roland Micro Cube 5w - portable with digital effects $125.00
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

So, mix 'n' match these and you should have a really neat starter pack!

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by kckyle
ur 25 and ur budget is only 300? heres a tip. if you buy cheap you buy twice.

$350, I understand I will buy twice, that is fair enough, I am just starting out and I dont want to spend a fortune on a first guitar, not knowing whether I will take will take to it seriously.

I am trying to be sensible. Unfrotunatley I have took up a hobby before and got all the kit and then given it up or note taken it seriously, namely DJing with decks and getting a motorbike!

I have know learnt my lesson, however I have not been excited like this for ages about a hobby. I try and get a couple of hours in everyday.

Cheers

Danny
Quote by PendulousThread
yeah as for the guitar i recomend the yamaha pacifica 112 and for amp the roland microcube. I know the valvejunior would be good as your beginning with a tube amp but I feel a beginner needs more versatility, roland microcube all the way

This man knows his stuff. The Yamaha Pacifica is the best beginner guitar money can buy, though ampwise I'd personally substitue the Microcube for a Vox AD15.