I started playing a few days ago, its really tough on my fingers, I dont really care though. I just play through it, since I enjoy it a lot. I have to take breaks every now and then though. Some songs really put serious strain on some fingers if anyone has any tips etc that would be great. I already know not to push down too hard, just hard enough to reach the nail(whatever) at the bottom so the tone is clean.

So just wondering how long until my fingers adjust.

Thanks guys.
It takes about a week or so depending on what gauge string you are using I play with .09 - .46 on my strat, and .12-.something on my acousitic and if I dont play my acoustic for a couple of weeks the strings tear my fingers up pretty bad, oh and acoustic strings are a lot tougher on your fingers then electric strings I think oh and soak them in rubbing achocal for about 15 minutes and it will take the pain away
Last edited by therealtater at May 17, 2008,
a couple weeks(2-3), it depends. I dont know of anything to help. and that "nail" is called a "fret".
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Thanks guys. I dont really experience any pain while taking breaks. You say that acoustic is tougher on the fingers? How is that? My friend has an electric guitar and the strings are much thinner and hence much harder to adjust to I think. Whats your views?

Thanks
Acoustic guitar strings are under much more tension than electric strings are. Thus, are harder to fret than the electrics. The thinner strings of the electric may seem like they will cut into your fingertips after a while, but once you build up enough callouses, you won't even notice it. And I might add too that it's going to take you a bit more than a week or two until your hand/arm builds up the required strength and muscle memory to be truely successful at guitaring. I'd say more like a couple months. Remember, it's new to you. Think of it like training for a new sport. Are you ready to compete after only a week of training? Doubt it.
it took me at least 1 month before i built up enough calluses to be able to practice without feeling pain. might take you more, or less, depending on how much you play, and the gear that you are using.
when you callouses are no longer hard and just continually soft, you'll be able to play for hours on end. my callouses(after a year of playing) are now soft and i never really feel pain in my fingers anymore.
Damh, I hope i dont wait a whole year. Maybe if they can just get durable enough so I can play a decent amount everyday that would be fine. Any tips?
Quote by Krezay
I started playing a few days ago, its really tough on my fingers, I dont really care though. I just play through it, since I enjoy it a lot. I have to take breaks every now and then though. Some songs really put serious strain on some fingers if anyone has any tips etc that would be great. I already know not to push down too hard, just hard enough to reach the nail(whatever) at the bottom so the tone is clean.

So just wondering how long until my fingers adjust.

Thanks guys.

It's not actually much of how long, but it's of a matter of how much and how you practice, that gets your fingers adjusted to playing guitar.
Yeah definitely the skill part is more about practice, but what I meant to focus on was how long until it doesn't pain as much and I can play for longer periods at a time.

Thanks again.
assuming you were to practice for like two hours everyday, i would expect you to build up enough callouses to play for about 30mins or so without feeling pain, within a month or two.
but of course, it all varies from individual to individual.
one tip: make sure your hands are dry when you play. acoustic strings can be pretty harsh on wet fingers, especially when your just starting out.
i hope thats the answer you were looking for
How long it takes depends on you, and more n how time you spend - more so that calendar days.

A person playing for a year, but only an hour or so a week won't progress much -if at all. Someone playing for 6hrs a day every single day will obviously progress much faster, and be lights years further after that year...
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
No tips really. It's just practice and time that get rid of the pain. It's like anything that involves strain on the body. Just don't touch a girl's arm with your left hand.
In about 2 weeks of playing, your fingers will adjust to the pain, and soon they'll heal over, and will just look normal. But will be much tougher

Keep playing, and have fun =)
Chris_Sleeps, I do know that, but thing is. If you stop playing guitar right when it pains or starts or whatever.... uh just look at it this way: If you don't play guitar your fingers won't adapt to the strain, obviously. But if you do it will, so I guess you should play a lot and with SOME pain perhaps, just not none.

What I'm asking/saying is that you/I have to play with the pain, just don't bust your/my fingers overdoing it.

This could be seen both ways so I just wanted to make it clear. You could stop each time, but then it would be more like not playing, overdoing it is also stupid since no fingers means no adapting, lol.

Thanks for the help guys, just kinda at see with this one.
yeah dont overdo it like i did at weekend.........

i had a drunken fall where I managed to get a blood blister under the callous on my index finger. I played through the pain yesterday......... it eased off and i carried on for an hour or two- and i had blood all over my fretboard. good job me LP is wine red, it matched

because of that though, my finger is now too sore to play at all, so a few days rest it is for me

I've just started playing again and it took about a month i'd say for my finger tips to get back to how they once were
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Ive been playing for two years and I play all the time and my fingers still start to hurt a little every now and then.
also, try putting ur fretting-finger closer to the fret

like this:
3rd-----4th
--|-------*|
*=finger
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Yeah I read that somewhere Sumai.

Just to keep you guys up to speed... I started this thread when I started learning a song, now if I play that same song.. or any song my fingers actually dont feel anything? I wonder what this is. My friend has had the same thing happen to him.

It's like the skin on my finger tips are dead or just much less sensitive. But it is also way too soon to have adapted to the pressure of the strings.

I guess this is just some sort of cycle.
Quote by Krezay
Yeah I read that somewhere Sumai.

Just to keep you guys up to speed... I started this thread when I started learning a song, now if I play that same song.. or any song my fingers actually dont feel anything? I wonder what this is. My friend has had the same thing happen to him.

It's like the skin on my finger tips are dead or just much less sensitive. But it is also way too soon to have adapted to the pressure of the strings.

I guess this is just some sort of cycle.

that, my friend, is callous
and the skin should also be harder, stiffer
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Also, there is a huge difference between good and bad "pain".

If your "pain" is a soreness or mild discomfort and general ache, then this is fine. It shows your muscles are being exercise, and are growing. You want this. You want to push yourself a bit like this when you practice, or you'll never progress. If you get a little sore, stop for a few and keep playing.

It you're feeling a sharp and intense pain, and you can't go on more, that's bad. This is that part where your body is telling you to stop altogether.

Avoiding ANY discomfort will do you no good as a musician (or any good as any kind of athlete either - same principle).
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker