Hi. Im searching for a new amp, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices; Epiphone Valve Junior or Harley Benton GA15 (from thomann.de). On paper, the GA15 looks better, but with the Epiphone I know what I get. Since no one seems to own a GA15, I'm probably safer off with the Epi, but will I be missing out on a good deal?

I'll probably order the amp online, so I won't be able to try them beforehand. I play classic rock and blues through a Gibson SG Faded, if that helps... So, help me choose!

By the way; I'm going to the U.S. in a month. Is it possible to buy a 220V amp there instead?
Gibson SG Faded (Gibson Angus Young Signature humbucker)
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo V3

Marshall Bluesbreaker BB2 pedal
The Valve Jr is a cool little amp if you're willing to do some mods to improve it.
out of the box it suffers from some crippling design problems that will cause excessive mains hum and a not-optimum tone, such as the valve heater supply being routed right beside the signal carrying tracks on the PCB.

the scary thing is that this kind of crappy design MUST have been deliberate, even a total amp-building n00b knows that you're not supposed to do that, chances are Epiphone built it badly deliberatly so that it wouldn't damage the sales of their more expensive amps.

the problems can be fixed with a little effort, just google "Epiphone Valve Jr mods" or something.
to be honest both got the same faults and im 70 percent sure they are made in the same factory.

id go for the royal 8 over those two
or go on ebay type in rat amp and theres a guy on there how mods up vj and harleys( in the uk)
Quote by TheDriller
The Valve Jr is a cool little amp if you're willing to do some mods to improve it.
out of the box it suffers from some crippling design problems that will cause excessive mains hum and a not-optimum tone, such as the valve heater supply being routed right beside the signal carrying tracks on the PCB.

the scary thing is that this kind of crappy design MUST have been deliberate, even a total amp-building n00b knows that you're not supposed to do that, chances are Epiphone built it badly deliberatly so that it wouldn't damage the sales of their more expensive amps.

the problems can be fixed with a little effort, just google "Epiphone Valve Jr mods" or something.
Where have you been for the past year? This is ancient history.
Epiphone has had TWO versions since then that are both using DC heating.

the Epiphone Valve Junior Resource thread

Quote by Kiwilagoon
Hi. Im searching for a new amp, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices; Epiphone Valve Junior or Harley Benton GA15 (from thomann.de). On paper, the GA15 looks better, but with the Epiphone I know what I get. Since no one seems to own a GA15, I'm probably safer off with the Epi, but will I be missing out on a good deal?
Harley Benton will probably be a better value in Europe than Epiphone.
I'm not certain though. What are the prices for each, where you are?

Quote by Kiwilagoon
I'll probably order the amp online, so I won't be able to try them beforehand. I play classic rock and blues through a Gibson SG Faded, if that helps... So, help me choose!
The GA15 is completely different from a VJ. The GA15 is a push-pull output.

The GA5 and VJ are not all that different. With the HB you have a tone control. And maybe a little less gain.

Quote by Kiwilagoon
By the way; I'm going to the U.S. in a month. Is it possible to buy a 220V amp there instead?
Some amps in the US have multiple taps on the power transformer. Others only 120V. ALL will be wired for 120v and have a US 120v plug on the end of the power cord.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I see no reason not to go for the Harley Benton. Most of their stuff is simply rebranded - the GA5 is to all intents a purposes a Valve Jr. The GA15 is probably an Epi Valve Standard with a different tone stack and the digital crap removed. I wouldn't hestiate to buy one, £120 is a steal considering the enormous potential.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Some amps in the US have multiple taps on the power transformer. Others only 120V. ALL will be wired for 120v and have a US 120v plug on the end of the power cord.

I'm not sure if I'm getting this the right way, but you're basically saying that every amp that's being sold in the US is pre-wired for 220V, but sports another plug at the end of the power cord? I emailed a guy at Orange who told me this:

A Tiny Terror purchased in the US for 120V must be rewired to work with 220V operation. Also, the mains fuse must be replaced. You can refer this to a technician, or purchase an amp in Europe for 220V use.

So, what's my best bet? I'm fairly positive I'll get the Valve Junior if I order one from Thomann, but I've been considering either a Tiny Terror or Blackheart Little Giant if I get one from the US. It all depends on whether or not I can use a US-amp in Sweden, really.

Last edited by Kiwilagoon at May 18, 2008,
Quote by Kiwilagoon
I'm not sure if I'm getting this the right way, but you're basically saying that every amp that's being sold in the US is pre-wired for 220V, but sports another plug at the end of the power cord? I emailed a guy at Orange who told me this:

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

He said all will be wired for 120v, not 220v.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
He said all will be wired for 120v, not 220v.

Yeah, I just realized that after my post

Well, it seems that getting a 220V amp from the US would be a huge hassle, right? So, I guess I'm better off by just getting one in Europe.

Sorry for double posting, but I've got another question.

How are the Epiphone Valve Juniors bone-stock? I'm not really a big fan of modding my gear incase I screw something up, so I'd rather refrain from actually doing anything to it. Is it terrible without mods?

Better than most SS amps, and the cleans are generally excellent, but I'm not a fan of the VJ's overdrive even when it is modded.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
So, I just ordered an Epiphone Valve Junior, it felt like it was the right way to go

I ordered it from Thomann.de, and I was wondering if you guys know what version I'll most likely get? As far as I know, there are three versions (with the third having an Eminence-speaker and 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs at the back). Would be great if I got the third version, since I'll probably buy a speaker cabinet for it (and most name brand cabinets seem to be 8 or 16 ohm). I've seen that people have been modding the v1 and v2 for 16 ohm use pretty easily though, so it's not THAT big a deal.

Thanks for all your answers!

Pray you get the V3 version, it has (imo at least) a more 'standard' schematic and comes with an EHX 12AX7 and JJ EL84. And, a better suited output transformer.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Kiwilagoon
So, I just ordered an Epiphone Valve Junior, it felt like it was the right way to go

I ordered it from Thomann.de, and I was wondering if you guys know what version I'll most likely get? As far as I know, there are three versions (with the third having an Eminence-speaker and 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs at the back). Would be great if I got the third version, since I'll probably buy a speaker cabinet for it (and most name brand cabinets seem to be 8 or 16 ohm). I've seen that people have been modding the v1 and v2 for 16 ohm use pretty easily though, so it's not THAT big a deal.

Thanks for all your answers!

Should have emailed them first to know. They reply quickly (24h).