Well, I'm strongly considering purchasing a Music Man Stingray in the very near future. So I have a few questions for those who own them or have played them.

Why should I get one?

Why should I not?

Should I get dual humbucker pickups or single?

Since I'm left-handed, is there anything I should keep in mind? Is there anywhere online that sells left-handed stingrays?

Thanks!
Firstly, if you are considering spending that much money, try to bass out. At that price range, it is a matter of getting the right bass for you.

Saying that, if I were to get one (personally, I'd get a Bongo) I'd go for dual pickups, simply because of the versitily it opens up.

And why buy online? You can get stuff cheaper in stores than online, if you get on well with the salesman . I got a custon shop Warwick Corvette for less than GAK was selling the standard (non - customised) ones for.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
try it out first. most guitarcenters usually have one in stock
try out a lot of basses before you purchase so that way you find the one that is perfect
Gear
----------
2003 MIM Jazz Bass w/ Bartolinis and a BAII bridge
2005 Ibanez GSR200
Peavey TNT 115 200 watt bass amplifier
Morley Bass Wah Pedal
^ The problem is that I'm left-handed. I've gone to all the stores in my area and not a single one has any music man bass, let alone the stingray, in a left-handed model.

I've tried it out right-handed the best I can, and I like it.
I can't tell you why you'd want one, but I've got one because it's excellent for rock and metal, it's wide, flat neck is very comfortable for my large hands, it sounds wonderful using a pick or my fingers, basically, it's just a great instrument for a lot of the music I do.

If you play rock, metal, punk, whatever, it's a great instrument. But it's gotta sit well with you. I never dug P-basses in rock music, and I thought my Jazz sounded too thin, so I managed to score an excellent trans-era 1986 Stingray almost exactly a year ago.

Here's my girls:

"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
well i love eerything about my stinger

the only thing that i dont like its its ALWAYS very punchy to my...even if im trying to get a warm sound.....its still right there with the punch.....so i dont think its the best for really mellow stuff but otherwise its a very very good bass and totally worth the money

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
well i love eerything about my stinger

the only thing that i dont like its its ALWAYS very punchy to my...even if im trying to get a warm sound.....its still right there with the punch.....so i dont think its the best for really mellow stuff but otherwise its a very very good bass and totally worth the money

That's another thing........ it is very in-your-face. If you want a good mellow sound, get a P-bass with a decent pickup. But mellow isn't very metal, I keeps my 'ray
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I love my Stingray. Granted its a Fretless, but it's mwah just sings. Like Rics, they have a very distinctive sound and its not for everyone. But for those of us who own them, its like hearing the choirs of Valhalla singing every time we play.

They are very punchy and bright--even with flatwounds, my fretless cuts through the mix. I just wish they made them in 24 frets; I just can't get comfortable with the shape of their Bongo brethern.
Thank for the feedback so far.

Also, I was considering the Sterling but was leaning towards the Stingray. Any pros/cons of the Sterling when compared to the Stringray? Which is better and why?
It's more of a feel thing. The Stingray is to the Sterling as a P-bass is to a Jazz bass. The Stinger's got a wider neck, bigger body, more girth, etc. The Sterling is a bit more trim all the way around.
I see. I tried out the Sterling and I could certainly feel the size difference.

I have one more question. Probably dumb, but it's possibly/easy to change the pickguard, right? Just unscrew it and swap them? So if I want blue and white then decide I want blue and black or whatever, I can just change it? Can you buy pickguards for the stingray individually?
Quote by DanielQ
I see. I tried out the Sterling and I could certainly feel the size difference.

I have one more question. Probably dumb, but it's possibly/easy to change the pickguard, right? Just unscrew it and swap them? So if I want blue and white then decide I want blue and black or whatever, I can just change it? Can you buy pickguards for the stingray individually?

1: Yes.
2: Yes, just unscrew and remove.
3: Yes.
4: Yes, you actually buy most pickguards individually. I am unsure of wether they have stingrays or not, but www.Warmoth.com is always my go-to for supplies.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
The only thing I dont like about the stingray is that it has a very unique sound. If you get the dual pick-ups then you do get a little more warmth out of the neck pick-up. Like Narcotics said, it is a very puchy sound even after EQing.
I go to music stores and play just about every bass in the store..... and the EB is still the most comfortable to play! I love the thick P-neck. The pup was in a weird place to play at first but I got used to playing closer to the bridge.... only adding to the tone!
I've got a standard 4 string, it's sexy. I absolutely love mine, and it's perfect for me, but what's perfect for me might not be perfect for you, so go try lots out!! Good luck.

Edit: Just read the above post, I'm sure you'll love it
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!