I am playing a Squier Strat into a Fender G-DEC. I want to get a tube amp, but I have never played one before. A while ago I was thinking about a Crate Palomino, but I hear that the new ones are made in Vietnam or something like that and aren't that good. I am now thinking about the Blackheart Handsome Devil 15w.

My budget right now is about $400, but I will be getting a job during the summer so I could have a higher budget by the middle or end of the summer. Also, I will be playing with a bassist and drummer so I will need enough volume to play over that, but that won't start until September.

I play blues, classic rock, and punk, but not much metal so I don't need "TEH BROOTALZ."

Can someone help me here?
Peavey classic?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
vox r pretty good i love mine
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
A Peavey Classic 30 would be nice. Or a Blackheart combo/stack would be really good, not too loud, and is well worth the price.
Eh...

Peavey Windsor might not really be it.

Wait. Do the combos have master volumes? Or not? If they do, I actually change my mind and say look into the Windsor.

That or definately consider acdcrocks's suggestion.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Used Traynor YCV40.

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by stratman_13
Eh...

Peavey Windsor might not really be it.

Wait. Do the combos have master volumes? Or not? If they do, I actually change my mind and say look into the Windsor.

That or definately consider acdcrocks's suggestion.

The Windsor combo has a master volume I think AND a built in attenuator.
Then how does it still manage to suck?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I thought that I had heard some pretty good things about it.

Oh well (and yeah, it has an attenuator).

Go with the Traynor.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by saltysnail
he said tube amp macadam

Vox make tube amps. For example, the AC15 or AC30.

edit: sorry, I didn't see that he had a Valvetronix. My apologies
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
What is the difference between a Peavey Windsor, Valveking, and Classic?
The Windsors a 1 channel amp pretty sure, not great cleans, good classic rock only amp

Valveking's a do everything okay, nothing well amp, good classic rock tone though, pretty decent cleans as well

The classics a great amp, it costs more than the VK though, better quality (i think so), great lower gain amp, cant do metal really at all, the VK can though.

I'd suggest the VK for that stuff, as you want metal occasionally.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by ewsrocks
What is the difference between a Peavey Windsor, Valveking, and Classic?

Windsors are supposed to be like hot-rodded Marshall JCM800s. The Classics are slightly more vintage with less gain and actually have a nice, usable clean sound. Valvekings are budget tube amps that don't really have a specific voicing. They are OK for being loud and versatile on a budget and are better than sucky SS half stacks. I wouldn't take a Valveking unless I only had $300 and wanted a heavier sound than the small tube amps could do. I personally like the Classic the most out of the 3, but the Peavey Delta Blues is better IMO. It is somewhat an AC30 clone (the 1x15 model)
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Windsors are supposed to be like hot-rodded Marshall JCM800s. The Classics are slightly more vintage with less gain and actually have a nice, usable clean sound. Valvekings are budget tube amps that don't really have a specific voicing. They are OK for being loud and versatile on a budget and are better than sucky SS half stacks. I wouldn't take a Valveking unless I only had $300 and wanted a heavier sound than the small tube amps could do. I personally like the Classic the most out of the 3, but the Peavey Delta Blues is better IMO. It is somewhat an AC30 clone (the 1x15 model)

he said metal sometimes too, keep that in mind, i don't think a classic 30 can do metal in my opinion.

good amp regardless
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
he said metal sometimes too, keep that in mind, i don't think a classic 30 can do metal in my opinion.

I occasionally play some metal, but not enough that I would buy a different amp just for metal.
[
Quote by PendulousThread
Peavey classic?
Quote by PendulousThread
Peavey classic?
Quote by PendulousThread
Peavey classic?
Quote by PendulousThread
Peavey classic?
Quote by PendulousThread
Peavey classic?
QUOTE=PendulousThread]Peavey classic?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by danyellenik

Yeah, but he also said:

Quote by ewsrocks
...not much metal so I don't need "TEH BROOTALZ."

If your focus is classic rock and blues, the Classic 30 would be a good choice. The right OD/distortion pedal could get some passable metal out of the thing in small bites. Something like the Valveking might do the higher gain stuff better, but the C30 has better overall tone - especially for those classic sounds.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Nah, me either. I would still take a used Traynor YCV40 for $400 with an OD for metal over a Valveking. The Traynor would be superior in every aspect IMO.

Traynor makes an outstanding product. I'm a big fan. A used YCV40 or 50 is a great suggestion, but the problem is finding one. There's a used Classic 30 on every corner, and it would be a good option, too.

Overall, I'd say to the threadstarter: look around and see what's used in your area. If something looks interesting, but you don't know anything about, ask about it in this thread (or a new one). You'd be much better off with a second hand 30-50W amp for jamming with bass and drums, than going with a new 15W amp, IMHO. The used amp will hold it's value better, too, if you decide after a while you want something different.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by danyellenik

good amp regardless

Can't do metal... CANT DO METAL!? what are you talking about!
People have some weird perception that the Classic 30 cannot do metal. THEIR classic 30s must still have sovteks and the preamp gain must not be turned to 12. I crank the pre amp gain, add a load of reverb, DO NOT ENGAGE THE BOOST, turn up the treble and bass both to around 3 o clock, with the mids around 1 o clock and just grind. My Classic 30 can kill on some Metallica, than switch on the clean channel and burn some clapton. Thats MY Opinion though.

Hell if I wanted more gain i'd get an overdrive pedal.

Go for a used Classic 30, you will not regret it
^It's more about the voicing. I wasn't happy about it's metal tone because it had the classic voicing.