I have this netgear router im trying to install but its telling me to plug into my modem..all i have just now is a speedtouch 530 router and im not sure where the modem is about! is it inside the pc? im using xbox as well

im looking for a new dell or similar laptop to run music software on and other apps no gaming tho. What is the best one preferably 2gb duocore min 300gb 5400 rpm HDD?

also on the laptop im thinking of running Macs OS Leopard or whatever it is to make the music production easier. What can i and cant i do on it eg use Rar files etc.
Quote by tuwyci
I have this netgear router im trying to install but its telling me to plug into my modem..all i have just now is a speedtouch 530 router and im not sure where the modem is about! is it inside the pc? im using xbox as well

You need a modem and a router if you want to go wireless/connect to more than 1 computer. A modem is what connects you to the internet. A router is what you use to connect multiple computers to the modem.
Some routers have an in-built modem, others don't. Most ISPs provide you with a modem, though.
If you're going to be using XBOX Live, you're going to need a router.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
You need a modem and a router if you want to go wireless/connect to more than 1 computer. A modem is what connects you to the internet. A router is what you use to connect multiple computers to the modem.
Some routers have an in-built modem, others don't. Most ISPs provide you with a modem, though.
If you're going to be using XBOX Live, you're going to need a router.

im already using xbox live via speedtouch 530 router. i tried plugging both routers into each other but that didnt work.
Quote by tuwyci
im already using xbox live via speedtouch 530 router. i tried plugging both routers into each other but that didnt work.

Well then that router is also your modem.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Hm..ok the phone line goes into the modem. THe modem connects to the router via ethernet to the internet port. Your pc connects to the new router. Anything else connects to the router wirelessly or with an ethernet cable in the ports 1-4 or however you may have.
okay so i need to get another modem router? the problem is the speedtouch isnt compatable with xp64 and i need 2 ethernet connections and 2 usb. Would i be better getting a powerline?