does anyone own this amp/ have tried it b4?

if so, can u get a good rock tone out of that im lookin at it as a potential buy but haven't tried it yet and i wanna get an idea about it b4 i drive to guitar center concord in order to try it
its pretty solid. I'm not too sure about rock though.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
i ask because one of my fav bands the hold steady uses it and they have an awesome rock tone. do u own it?
I tried it for a while, and I was trying it just for a blues-y sound, and just from that, I'd have to say i'm not too sure how it'd do rock. It certainly sounds great, and maybe if you cranked it and dialed it in right it would.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Ha, I love the Hold Steady, saw them in concert once. The blues custom can get some rock tones but a ts-9 infront would be perfect.
yeah the hold steady rulz can't wait till they come 2 san fran so i can see them
wat's a ts-9?
and wat's the best way 2 get the rock tones out of it, like eq settings or something besides the drive dial?
classic rock, hard rock, modern rock but not 2 metally
i like a tone that has a lot of body but is also clear enough 2 play open chord with and have it sound good
a ts-9 is the Ibanez TubeScreamer distortion pedal...gives a pretty hot distorted sound.
should help that amp hit rock territory pretty heavy....
yeah my teach recommended that i should buy a tube amp that has middle of the road gain like this one and then use the ts to boost it into hard rock or metal territory
man i feel like such a noob 4 not recognizing da name tho
its an Overdrive, OD and distortion are completely diffrent things. And using just a tube screamer the Epi wont get metal, youd need a metal mufff
in the MF catalog, it's categorized along with the valve junior.
If it's just a higher wattage version of the EVJ (and maybe higher quality components), you should be fine. Those are darn fine amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ok im not dat concerned with da metal sound just a harder rock tone will do 4 now cuz i dont have mad metal skillz
weird question, how does the reverb sound?
Quote by guitarbite.fire
its an Overdrive, OD and distortion are completely diffrent things. And using just a tube screamer the Epi wont get metal, youd need a metal mufff

i wouldnt say that there completely different things. in fact, there the same thing, except distortion is more extreme. OD is soft clipping, and Distortion is Hard Clipping.
Quote by prsrulz91
ok im not dat concerned with da metal sound just a harder rock tone will do 4 now cuz i dont have mad metal skillz
weird question, how does the reverb sound?

Well, if it's anything like other budget tube amps (besides fenders), the reverb will be alright at best. It's definetely usable, but don't expect it to blow you away.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i dont think u could call it average cuz its the highest end amp they make (i think)
http://bp3.blogger.com/_OH-mvRY7jBU/RmRqWLEVv7I/AAAAAAAABVY/wRbJERcT4UA/s1600-h/tad_9887.jpg

That's Tad Kubler's pedal board, if you're after his tone. Although the last time I was at a HS concert he'd ditched the HF-2 (which I have one of and is very nice) in facour of two phasers. Les Paul+Blues Driver+Epi Blues Custom should sound awesome, no?

Edit: P.S. Does anyone know what the big brown one in the bottom left corner is?
Last edited by Lead Ninja at May 20, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
in the MF catalog, it's categorized along with the valve junior.
If it's just a higher wattage version of the EVJ (and maybe higher quality components), you should be fine. Those are darn fine amps.
It's not.

And I dislike the Valve Junior quite a lot personally, but oh well.

It's got a push-pull output, yes? I can't remember what tubes it uses but it's either a quad of EL84 or a pair of EL34 on a lower voltage than is usual.

It's got a tube rectifier, tube reverb... Overall it looks like a damn decent amp for the money.

I wouldn't buy one personally, but it's probably a great amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
not too sure about modern rock... it has a very warm tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I usually stay away from amps that say they are a blues amp unless i am buying it for the blues. There is better stuff out there for rock.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd