Page 1 of 2
if u use/have tried either the 112 or 212 model, wat did u think of it (pros, cons, sound of it clean and distorted, etc)?
if u have tried both wat r the differences between each?
If you ask me, it's a jack of all trades, master of none. Cleans? Better than SS amps in the price range, not great by any means. Same with the OD and distortion. What genre(s) are you looking to play?
im lookin 4 a good rock tone and clean sound. I also like metal but that sound isnt as important 2 me
Check out the B-52 AT100's. Their right in that price range, and are soooo muh more versatile. Plus, they have a footswitchable effects loop and reverb(which to my knowledge VK's dont have.)

I have one, lent it to a friend who plays hardcore through a dual rectifier for a show, and not even the people in his band noticed. Its that good.

EDIT: Why does everyone beat me to everything? >:l
Quote by prsrulz91
im lookin 4 a good rock tone and clean sound. I also like metal but that sound isnt as important 2 me

"Rock" is incredibly vague. Examples? What kind of metal are you talking about... like Iron Maiden/ Def Leppard kind of gain levels or Job for a Cowboy?
ok got ne reccomendations 4 b-52 models? i need something kinda low watts cuz my house insulation sux=low volume : (
sweet thanx 4 da reccomendations
4 the rock tone thing im looking 4 a tone wit a lot of body but still has some clarity i cant think of a good example rite now but ill post one when i get it
in the meantime, can neone give me an idea of the type of distorted tone u get from the valveking (is it more metal or rock, fat or thin tone, etc)?
Quote by prsrulz91
4 the rock tone thing im looking 4 a tone wit a lot of body but still has some clarity i cant think of a good example rite now but ill post one when i get it
in the meantime, can neone give me an idea of the type of distorted tone u get from the valveking (is it more metal or rock, fat or thin tone, etc)?

I honestly think Valve Kings sound terrible, but why don't you just go try it for yourself and see what you think.
Quote by prsrulz91

Sounds like a Peavey Classic 30 would be a good choice. Take a look at the Traynor YCV50 Blue and B-52's, as well.
i will but i have 2 drive all da way2 concord 2 try it so if it doesnt sound that good i'm not sure i wanna waste the gas in my car

if u have the peavey classic 30 or a traynor model can i get ur opinions on them 2?
Quote by prsrulz91
i will but i have 2 drive all da way2 concord 2 try it so if it doesnt sound that good i'm not sure i wanna waste the gas in my car

if u have the peavey classic 30 or a traynor model can i get ur opinions on them 2?

Really. DON'T buy an amp blind, it's a recipe for disaster. Better to spend $50 on a tank of gas then to lose a few hundred dollars for buying an amp you hate.
oh yeah im not gonna buy it blind im just tryin 2 get some personal opinions b4 i go 2 try it once school is ovr
It doesn't matter too much what we think, its your opinion. YOU need to be happy with your purchase, not us. Write down the ones we said, try them out, mess with all the knobs, and see what sounds best to you.
yeah but personal opinion is much more valuable as a prelude 2 an amp test drive than the boring feature list on most websites in my opinion. i will try it regardless of wat u guys say, but its interesting 2 see wat ppl think thats all
btw, to whoever reccomended the b-52 2 me:
i really like wat i see on the websites, but at 100 watts, that thing just might blow the roof off of my house. can i keep it on lower volumes and still get a solid tone out of it?
meh I thought the VK sounded like total crap, I like my 80's Fender solid state better.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah im not a huge fan of fenders simply because my only experience with one involved an uncomfortable level of treble
lol @ VK hate.

Gee it almost sounds like the UG forum.

Oh wait.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
I have a valveking 112. You can get a good metallica/megadeth sound out of it but it really starts to sound like crap if I turned up the gain anymore. So I say don't get a Valveking if you want good cleans or looking for an rock sound. All I play is thrash metal so its perfect for me but I suggest you look elsewhere.
Quote by ParryPerson
lol @ VK hate.

Gee it almost sounds like the UG forum.

Oh wait.

what? VKs are the most overhyped amp on this forum.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
meh I thought the VK sounded like total crap, I like my 80's Fender solid state better.

That's when SS amps were actually good.. I'm not surprised.

TS, the Valveking isn't really anything special. IMO a Classic 30 is much better. And please, improve your grammar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
That's when SS amps were actually good.. I'm not surprised.

TS, the Valveking isn't really anything special. IMO a Classic 30 is much better. And please, improve your grammar.

A C30 might be better for really warm tones, but it's not good for hard rock or metal.

The VK is a decent amp, I think. I've only played it once for about 15 mins, and I think the guy who replied first said it best: the VK is a decent all around amp given its price. It doesn't do anything amazing, but it does everything decently, so if you can only afford one amp and you play a lot of diverse styles of music, it's a good choice, I think. An amp like the C30 is great, but its greatness is basically limited to blues/jazz type music. It's hard to find an amp that is great, cheap, and well-rounded.
the VK sounded like crap to me the first time too, but i knew it had some potential.

now, i am very happy with it and i have not made any mods to it. Yet.

don't rule it out and spend some time with it. FFS - it's $400.

The B52 and Classic 30 are good amp too obvioulsy.

later

;
I was surprised at how well the VK sounded when I played one. I haven't played the B-52 but it gets a lot of recommendations from those that have played it. The Classic 30 is priced much more than the VK and is a great amp but I'm not sure if it does metal all that well.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Really. DON'T buy an amp blind, it's a recipe for disaster. Better to spend $50 on a tank of gas then to lose a few hundred dollars for buying an amp you hate.

Amen.

Anywho. The Valveking is a good first tube amp, or portable club amp, but it's lack of response, and annoying design flaws kill it for the discerning guitarist.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Amen.

Anywho. The Valveking is a good first tube amp, or portable club amp, but it's lack of response, and annoying design flaws kill it for the discerning guitarist.

Many people would disagree with you, sir.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ParryPerson

yeah it's a pretty crappy first tube amp too.

Last.fm
I'm bored with trying to counteract the VK hate on this forum. It just gets old after a while..

TS, I recommend you try the VK and forumlate your own opinion. Also, Speaker swaps do it good, so see if you can try the head through a decent cab (112 or 212 if possible) with decent speakers to gain an idea of what it sounds like with a speaker swap. Also, there's some soundclips on my profile of a valveking with a vintage 30 in it.

Kthx.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I'm bored with trying to counteract the VK hate on this forum. It just gets old after a while..

I agree. I'm guessing it's half people who read a few elitists views and then jump on the bandwagon, or demoed one for all of 5 minutes in a store without knowing what any of the knobs do.

You gave the best advice, go listen to the clips, play one, and form your own opinion. UG will not help you in your search for tone, only your own ears will.

As far as someone saying it's the most overhyped amp? uh, classic 30? blackheart? bugera? A few months ago everyone was cramming the VJ down everybodys necks. I've never seen this problem on other sites dedicated to bass or drums, seems to be a pack mentality on here.

I pray for the newbie that askes for help here as he always get 5 posts of wrong before a correct one is said, even as far as neck warping which is a pretty big deal. How is he supposed to know who is right?

I've pretty much said goodbye and given up hope on this forum. A waste land of "MG? LINE 6?" and "YOU DON'T NEED A HALFSTACK" posts. You don't need a halfstack? Wow! Thanks UG! I had no idea I didn't need 100 WATTS OF POWER INTO 4 12 INCH SPEAKERS FOR MY BAR GIGS.

Ridiculous.
Quote by HxCori<3
Quote by ParryPerson

Which is their right, I won't contest that. I'd actually be happy to have a Valveking combo, so I wouldn't have to tote around my 5150 all the time.

That being said, tell me it's not a little short sighted to design an amp in such a way that removing the tube sockets is necessary to do something as simple as replace a preamp tube. A little short sighted, no? Design flaws like that, in my experience, tend to hint of worse things.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Which is their right, I won't contest that. I'd actually be happy to have a Valveking combo, so I wouldn't have to tote around my 5150 all the time.

That being said, tell me it's not a little short sighted to design an amp in such a way that removing the tube sockets is necessary to do something as simple as replace a preamp tube. A little short sighted, no? Design flaws like that, in my experience, tend to hint of worse things.

I have no idea what you are talking about, as this is not the case on my VK head.
Quote by HxCori<3
Quote by ParryPerson
I have no idea what you are talking about, as this is not the case on my VK head.

Well Its what I told him I had to do to replace my preamp tubes. I just found a real sturdy piece of rubber to take out my preamp tubes now so I dont have to remove the sockets. But in my VK, only about 3 cm of the tube is exposed from the socket, so with your hands its hard to pull it out. This might just be with the 112's though.'

And I think I know why alot of people resent the VK's. They never cranked them. The difference between the amp when its cranked and when its at low volumes is just huge. VK's sound average at low volumes, when they're cranked it just a totally different beast, especially with a good speaker.

Also, the VK's have more of an edgy type of gain from my experience. I can get VERY close to that Tool sort of tone, its just great. Sounds fat and full when cranked.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Last edited by mike.h at May 19, 2008,
^ the valveking 112 has two poweramp tube right? can u pull out 1 to make it 25w? so u can crank better.
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
Quote by noobme
^ the valveking 112 has two poweramp tube right? can u pull out 1 to make it 25w? so u can crank better.

I'm no expert, but I don't think that's gonna work. turn the knob on the back to class A, rather than A/B. the manual says this has the same effect, running one of the power tubes, and idling the other to draw current or something (I'm a biochemist, not a physicist sorry... I think I even spelt it wrong).
Quote by mike.h
Well Its what I told him I had to do to replace my preamp tubes. I just found a real sturdy piece of rubber to take out my preamp tubes now so I dont have to remove the sockets. But in my VK, only about 3 cm of the tube is exposed from the socket, so with your hands its hard to pull it out. This might just be with the 112's though.'

And I think I know why alot of people resent the VK's. They never cranked them. The difference between the amp when its cranked and when its at low volumes is just huge. VK's sound average at low volumes, when they're cranked it just a totally different beast, especially with a good speaker.

Also, the VK's have more of an edgy type of gain from my experience. I can get VERY close to that Tool sort of tone, its just great. Sounds fat and full when cranked.

Also nitrate/rubber gloves help with grip... Thats how i changed mine out..
OK....so not to artificially bump

EDIT: no video just audio (sorry for length) (bud light)

i got a camera to record my VK112 to try to give some more input as to clarity/muddy - ness. i also felt compelled to get something up as there seems to be a lot of love (good all around)/ hate (muddiness) lately. You will notice there is not a lot of metal on this 1st test, which i actually prefer for comparison reasons. [Also - this is not a review]

i still suck at guitar but this might give you an idea. The Lead channel is at Vol 4 / Gain 4 and the Clean was at 5. My point there is that even tho it is 50 watts it is my opinion that the volume and gain really jump after 5 but that you can get some nice (maybe not bedroom but i'm not wakin' up the kids either) --practice jam volume with this combo.

granted it was a little louder to me than the camera mic picked up, i actually expected the camera mic to completely crap out as it was only 12 inches away yo. And you don't need to criticize my playing as i've gotten better actually after purchasing an all tube amp so can i can here myself better. lol. ...well ok criticize please

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play305483

Forget the Digitech to PC stuff in profile the Valveking test is the only valveking test i have. Here were my settings for those that care. For simplicity i purposely put the EQ settings the same on both channels so: (also the flange on digitech is terrible so you can turn your speakers down when it gets to that part.

Lead:
Vol 4
Gain 4
Bass 7
Mid 5
Treb 6
Boost on
Reverb off
Res ...loose
texture...A/B
no loop - guitar>digitech>amp

<guitar skill flame protection>
;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 20, 2008,
Quote by mike.h

I cranked mine, and it still sounded like ass. Most people that resent them resent them because they sound horrible.

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2