Ok so I'm working on learning guitar now. I just got my first guitar in yesterday. So far I have learned A, E, and D chords and practiced switching between and two little riffs for Smoke on the Water and Come as you Are (Nirvana). These:

Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple:
E|----------------------------
B|----------------------------
G|----------------------------
D|----------------------------
A|----------------------------
E|0-3-5---0-3-6-5---0-3-5--3-0

and

Come As You Are by Nirvana:
E|------------------------------
B|------------------------------
G|------------------------------
D|------------------------------
A|--------0---0---------2-----2-
E|0-0-1-2---2---2-2-1-0---0-0---

What I would like is more of these little rifts for begginers? Not really looking for whole songs or anything just little riff tabs. similar to the two I already learned in difficulty or maybe just a little bit harder.

Thanks.
Current Status: A complete noob who is learning the basics on his first guitar.
Last edited by Ragekai at May 17, 2008,
just as the guy above me said it's RIFFS not Rifts , Iron Man is a pretty easy song , Smells Like Teen Spirit was my first song to learn on guitar , it's pretty easy give it a try .
OOPS. Fixed.

I'll look those two up.
Iron Man is easy, until you get to the solo. Seven Nation Army and The Hardest Button to Button by the White Stripes have some pretty easy riffs in em, especially Seven Nation Army. The intro to Enter Sandman by Metallica is a simple riff that you could learn.
rift...you are a noob. lol
As for easy songs, I completely agree with the two above me. Rammstein has got some pretty simple riffs if you're into that. A song that's good for a beginner to work on to gain some technique is "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold. It's going to seem impossible, but if you practice it, it gives you a pretty nice technique boost.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
Yap. I'm about as noob as they come.

Um..Maybe I should mention I'm on acoustic guitar? Or does that not matter?

Because when I looked at the tabs for Smells like teen spirit it is saying things like distortion and stuff.

ALSO: If you guys could..and its not too much trouble...could you show me to the easy version of these tabs you guys are talking about? Because when I look them up there are many versions..and some are much more complicated than others. You can see the two I put in my first post to see what kind of level of "simplifying the song" I need. LoL.
+1 to everything said. But save Unholy Confessions till after the others, its a bit more difficult.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
+1 to everything said. But save Unholy Confessions till after the others, its a bit more difficult.

Ya I looked at that one and it looks like ill be saving that one for a while.
As far as the acoustic guitar thing goes, its actually sort of a good thing to learn on an acoustic. Acoustic is much harder than electric for various reasons, so if you can play it on acoustic, you can definitely play it on electric.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
As far as the acoustic guitar thing goes, its actually sort of a good thing to learn on an acoustic. Acoustic is much harder than electric for various reasons, so if you can play it on acoustic, you can definitely play it on electric.

Ya I heard that. But I meant as far as which tab to pick goes.
Everything you've learned is what I learned so far...lol.

I need to get my guitar repaired though, it's impossible to hit a chord for me on the 1st through 3rd frets. too much pressure it kills my fingers. I was trying my friends guitar out and can do it fine though..need a new nut.

Yeah I know off topic, just venting.

Oh um try the Star Wars theme or James Bond, or even metal gear solid theme. I know those after only a bit of a month play.
Quote by Rave765
Everything you've learned is what I learned so far...lol.

I need to get my guitar repaired though, it's impossible to hit a chord for me on the 1st through 3rd frets. too much pressure it kills my fingers. I was trying my friends guitar out and can do it fine though..need a new nut.

Yeah I know off topic, just venting.

Oh um try the Star Wars theme or James Bond, or even metal gear solid theme. I know those after only a bit of a month play.

Thanks! Got any good easy tabs of them? Oh and my guitar absolutely murders my fingers too but I just play through it so I can build up some monsterous-callous asap.
It's a really, REALLY good idea to look into doing exercises.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Here's James Bond ...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_soundtrack/james_bond_theme_tab.htm

Metal Gear Solid..

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc/metal_gear_solid_theme_tab.htm

There's alot of star wars themes..I can't find the right one lol but the above 2 are what I learned.

Yeah, my finger have the callouses now too, but it's hard to play anything using the first 1-4 frets without completely murdering them, lol. I might just get a new guitar since on the Ibanez website they didn't have any option to buy parts for my guitar.

Basically, I have a nut on my guitar right now that's from some other brand I don't know it had to be sanded down to just fit in
(I broke my nut on accident the first day I got my guitar :\) and it's a pain in the arse. Sorry I feel like i'm hijacking your thread sort of but I had to get that out.
Last edited by Rave765 at May 17, 2008,
The Star Wars theme you're probably thinking of is the Imperial March.

Also, Play That Funky Music has a cool little hook to it and is easy to play.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Might want to graduate to the correct version of Smoke on the Water - it uses 2 strings so it's a bit trickier....it'll sound a lot better though. You can pluck it with two fingers instead of using a pick if you want to it to be exact.

G   Bb  C    G    Bb  Db C      G   Bb  C    Bb   G
E|---------------------------------------------------------
B|---------------------------------------------------------
G|--0---3---5----0----3---6--5------0---3---5----3----0----
D|--0---3---5----0----3---6--5------0---3---5----3----0----
A|--------------------------------------------------------
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Might want to graduate to the correct version of Smoke on the Water - it uses 2 strings so it's a bit trickier....it'll sound a lot better though. You can pluck it with two fingers instead of using a pick if you want to it to be exact.

G Bb C G Bb Db C G Bb C Bb G

This is the version I can do and I was barring it, is that the proper way or is it power chords?

Rave
Quote by Rave765
This is the version I can do and I was barring it, is that the proper way or is it power chords?

Rave

That's the way it's played on the recording - technically they're inverted power chords because the root is higher than the 5th...you could call them 4ths.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have alot to learn lol...I don't know what that means but I read that root means the note you start on.
Quote by Rave765
I have alot to learn lol...I don't know what that means but I read that root means the note you start on.

No, the root is the most stable tone you can get.

It sounds the most "right".

ie in the key of A minor, the root is A, as it is the most stable note. You can start a phrase on any note in A minor though.
Quote by Tallman
No, the root is the most stable tone you can get.

It sounds the most "right".

ie in the key of A minor, the root is A, as it is the most stable note. You can start a phrase on any note in A minor though.

"key of A Minor" what does that mean? I'm confused. Yeah I know i'm a noob lol.
Quote by Rave765
"key of A Minor" what does that mean? I'm confused. Yeah I know i'm a noob lol.

Search bar.

Music Theory.

NAOW.
You have major and minor scales. One sounds happy (major), one sounds sad (minor). There are couple of minor scales, like the natural, harmonic, and melodic minor. To make a major triad (a chord consisting of three notes), play the 1st (root) 3rd (third note of the scale) and 5th (fifth note of the scale). To make a minor triad, drop the third by one half step. To construct a major scale, start on the root, and follow these steps: whole whole half whole whole whole half. whole = 2 frets, half = 1. Just some basic stuff that should get you started.
Quote by Pyrofretnic

Not really.....That's a common misconception since most acoustics have 12's opposed to the common pair of 10's on electric....The only thing that's different between my electric and acoustic is the bridge and body shape which makes it difficult at first but once I get used to the instrument again I fine. (Both have a set of 12's even though I'm putting 11's back on the electric.)

Now, on topic.

Metallica - Enter Sandman, One, Harvester of Sorrow, Nothing Else Matters, Fade to Black (May prove difficult if you pinky isn't up to par) and Battery. (All the songs have relatively easy acoustic parts in Standard tuning)

Nirvana - Any of their Unplugged material is pretty easy in Eb Standard (half a step down from Standard)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hm, Wherever I may roam by Metallica is a pretty good one. Skip over the solo though, it's a bit tricky.
Quote by steven seagull

G Bb C G Bb Db C G Bb C Bb G

Ya, I can play it with fingers but not pick. Any tips for hitting those two in between strings without hitting the rest?
Only way is practice. Trust me, It's a lot easier then it seems.
Quote by Ragekai
Ya, I can play it with fingers but not pick. Any tips for hitting those two in between strings without hitting the rest?

Just practice slower making sure you're only hitting those strings and eventually you'll get the hang of hitting certain strings....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Here's "Sunshine of your Love" by Cream. This is the riff from the beginning of the song. As you can see, it's pretty easy, and doesn't sound half bad. Also, the song in general isn't too difficult. So, you could look into learning the rest, if old rock is your thing.

E------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-----12--12---10---12----------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------12--11--10------b8--------------------------
E-----------------------------------10------10-------------------------------

Also, this might seem a little pointless, but... <- This guy looks way too much like a stoned Riddick, rather than a dude in sunglasses.
Quote by Pauldapro
a rift sounds cooler than riff imo

5 + 5 = 55 is cooler then 5 + 5 = 10. Doesn't make it right.