Is there a certain interval that one usually follows when putting together a tapping lick? How do you know how far apart to tap the notes?
tapping is just playing a triad arppegio on a single string. so

1 3 5 - major
1 b3 5 - minor
1 b3 b5 - diminished
1 3 #5 augmented
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Last edited by aradine at May 18, 2008,
Tapping licks really vary. But yes, they're usually arpeggios. However, I've written tapping licks that are just easier to play tapping then with the normal picking.
Usually I'll take a chord common shape and see how and if the notes can fit on let's say one string. Let's say you have Em

e-----3----
b-----4----
g-----5----

You can transfer the notes using your fretboard knowledge or octaves etc.

e-----15--12--7--15--12--7---
Quote by aradine

1 3 5 - major
1 b3 5 - minor
1 b3 b5 - diminished
1 #3 5 augmented

Augmented is 1 3 #5
oh whoops my bad.....

i'll correct that.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

e-----3----
b-----4----
g-----5----

And that's C minor, not E minor.

It could be a good exercise analyzing an already existing tapping lick, such as Eruption. Might give you an idea of how it works.
Quote by TroM
Usually I'll take a chord common shape and see how and if the notes can fit on let's say one string. Let's say you have Em

e-----3----
b-----4----
g-----5----

You can transfer the notes using your fretboard knowledge or octaves etc.

e-----15--12--7--15--12--7---

That's not the same thing, you have Cm and Em given. If you wanted to play a Cm like this, go for:
e---t15p8h11t15p8h11-
Quote by aradine

1 3 5 - major
1 b3 5 - minor
1 b3 b5 - diminished
1 3 #5 augmented

Actually, no. Tapping is any time that the picking hands fingers are used on the fretboard. They get much more complicated then the basic shapes that you mentioned, ranging from different intervals, multiple strings, arpeggios with more than 3 notes, independent lead and bass lines, etc.
Quote by TheShred201
Actually, no. Tapping is any time that the picking hands fingers are used on the fretboard. They get much more complicated then the basic shapes that you mentioned, ranging from different intervals, multiple strings, arpeggios with more than 3 notes, independent lead and bass lines, etc.

He was just generalizing most tapping licks. I'm pretty sure he knows that, o god of knowledge!
Quote by aradine

1 3 5 - major
1 b3 5 - minor
1 b3 b5 - diminished
1 3 #5 augmented

No, tapping is a technique. You can apply it to whatever you want on however many strings you want.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by st.stephen
G major shape = Em arpeggio? It would be Cmaj9no5

The notes he gave are C, Eb and G. I don't see where you could have gotten E minor or Cmaj9(no 5).
Oh haha misread that tab...good job on me...I obviously haven't read tab for a while. How incredibly embarrassing on my part, I'm just going to remove my post if that's alright.

And jeez I was so wrong ahaha

Thought it was a G major triad, with every note up a string, and I thought it was kind of weird to express an E minor tapping arpeggio with a G major triad.
Last edited by st.stephen at May 19, 2008,