Page 1 of 2
I've been debating this for a while now, and I think I need some help deciding...should I put a Dimebucker in my Rhoads RR3 Pro? It's already got a Duncan JB and a Jazz but I like the ceramic magnets in the dimebucker that make it sustain longer...i'm just not sure if it will screw with my guitar or sound sh*tty in it.

Any opinions or anyone who's ever done this?
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
I've never personally played one, but a lot of people complain about the Dimebucker's muddiness. What don't you like about your JB?
Quote by FRDesign
Dimebuckers are crap, Dont Bother.

Says the guy with a MG.

I was joking...they are good if you have the right set up but sometimes they can sound muddy depending on your amp settings.

I used them and I liked them BTW.
Quote by Inbleach
I've been debating this for a while now, and I think I need some help deciding...should I put a Dimebucker in my Rhoads RR3 Pro? It's already got a Duncan JB and a Jazz but I like the ceramic magnets in the dimebucker that make it sustain longer...i'm just not sure if it will screw with my guitar or sound sh*tty in it.

Any opinions or anyone who's ever done this?

Keep the Duncans. Ceramic magnets (generally) sound like ass, and really have nothing to do with sustain.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at May 17, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I've never personally played one, but a lot of people complain about the Dimebucker's muddiness. What don't you like about your JB?

I like the JB, I just happened to stop by guitar center and play a razorback, and I LOVED the Dimebucker, however I think the clean sounds muddy...that's the only problem i'm having, I don't play clean alot anyway, but when I do I just don't want it to sound like ****.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Graveworm
Says the guy with a MG.

I was joking...they are good if you have the right set up but sometimes they can sound muddy depending on your amp settings.

I used them and I liked them BTW.
I got the MG like a year ago when I first started playing, and I'm soon getting a Mesa, so shut up.

And the Dimebucker is awful, its muddy, very thin sounding and its not what Dimebage used so why bother.

The Bill lawrence L-500 is a great pickup, and is what Dimebag actually used:
http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/OriginalL500Design.htm/Introduction.htm
Last edited by FRDesign at May 17, 2008,
Quote by FRDesign
I got the MG like a year ago when I first started playing, and I'm soon getting a Mesa, so shut up.

And the Dimebucker is awful, its muddy, very thin sounding and its not what Dimebage used so why bother.

The Bill lawrence 500-XL is a great pickup, and is what Dimebag actually used:

According to your sig, Your gedtting a Valveking..lol
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Well he used Dimebuckers in his Deans didn't he, and he did help design it anyway.

I might check out the Bill Lawrence, that might be a better choice.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by fastfretjazz
According to your sig, Your gedtting a Valveking..lol
I was, then I decided to save up more, and haven't bothered to change my sig.
Quote by Inbleach
I like the JB, I just happened to stop by guitar center and play a razorback, and I LOVED the Dimebucker, however I think the clean sounds muddy...that's the only problem i'm having, I don't play clean alot anyway, but when I do I just don't want it to sound like ****.

Keep in mind that it'll sound different in your guitar because of its Alder body... and were you playing through a JCM when you tried it? If you were playing through a brighter- sounding amp (say, an ENGL), it'll probably get muddier when you play through your JCM.

What exactly did you like about the tone you got with the razorback versus what you get with your Rhoads, though?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Keep in mind that it'll sound different in your guitar because of its Alder body... and were you playing through a JCM when you tried it? If you were playing through a brighter- sounding amp (say, an ENGL), it'll probably get muddier when you play through your JCM.

What exactly did you like about the tone you got with the razorback versus what you get with your Rhoads, though?

I liked the razorback's distortion sound A LOT better, (the rhoads however can pull off both clean and distortion, just not distortion AS well) it had a lot more output. The solution might be to just buy a damn razorback but that's about 13 weeks pay.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Inbleach
I liked the razorback's distortion sound A LOT better, (the rhoads however can pull off both clean and distortion, just not distortion AS well) it had a lot more output. The solution might be to just buy a damn razorback but that's about 13 weeks pay.
What amp did you play it through.
I have the dimebucker in my Jackson... Like he said above, you need the right setup to get the right sound. It's best used in fat sounding guitars like the ones with Mahogony bodies. using Alder or basswood it's really shrill. Dime did use the dimebucker late in his career, just before he died.

It's all about the setup and the tone in your fingers - thats where 70% of your tone comes from.

as for the JB, if you look at the tone charts on Duncan's website, the EQ is the same except for the bass where the dimebucker has more bass and slightly higher DC resistence - therefore higher output and more trebble.

I have bolth the JB and the Dimebucker, bolth in an alder body with maple neck. the sound is almost the same except for the output and the presence of the pickup.

that being said, I would keep the JB and just adjust your amp settings. it will save you $60 plus the cash to put it in...
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by FRDesign

The Bill lawrence L-500 is a great pickup, and is what Dimebag actually used:

I was joking you idiot.

You probably didn't even use or try the Dimebucker or the bill Ls, kid.Next time it would be really useful and in your best interest to read the whole text and another thing the Valveking is a good amp and you removed it becuase you had no idea how good of an amp it was becuase one person make fun of you for.That is how I know that you know nothing about tone or pick ups so stop posting.

TS don't listen to FRDesign... he is one of the hundreds of kids on this site that pretend to know something about guitars.
Last edited by Graveworm at May 17, 2008,
Quote by Inbleach

I'd say to get a higher output pickup then... just not a Dimebucker. Are there any adjectives you can use to describe the distortion you're looking to get? Warm? Articulate? Punchy?

I humbly suggest, in addition to the Bill Lawrence, Dimarzio D activators... they do an excellent job of imitating actives, without all the things that make actives suck.
Quote by FRDesign
What amp did you play it through.

I actually played it through a Line 6 (Spider III I think) a Mesa Dual Rec, and a JCM2000, none of them belonging to me, and all tube amps sound different so it might not even sound good with my JCM2000. Mine tends to have the right amount of bass I like, and get a pretty decent metal sound.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Graveworm
I was joking you idiot.

You probably didn't even use or try the Dimebucker or the bill Ls, kid.Next time it would be really useful and in your best interest to read the whole text and another thing the Valveking is a good amp and you removed it becuase you had no idea how good of an amp it was becuase one person make fun of you for.That is how I know that you know nothing about tone or pick ups so stop posting.
God, The Valveking is a decent amp, I know that, but If I can get a Mesa, why bother.

The guy just reminded me that I should update my sig.
Quote by FRDesign
God, The Valveking is a decent amp, I know that, but If I can get a Mesa, why bother.

I call bullshit.
Quote by Graveworm
I call bullshit.

You guys are assholes.
Now it's 1984
Quote by Graveworm
I call bullshit.

It's a decent beginner's tube amp I guess. Not something I'd stick with though.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Graveworm
I call bullshit.
go to my profile and look at some of the recent threads Ive made, you will see that I have been looking for mesas.

Now stop going off topic in this guys thread.
Quote by Graveworm
I was joking you idiot.

TS don't listen to FRDesign... he is one of the hundreds of kids on this site that pretend to know something about guitars.

Honestly, chill.

Maybe he removed the Valveking from his sig because his plans changed? Doesn't have to be because you "made fun of him for it". Anyway, he obviously knows SOMETHING about guitars, considering the amount of time he's put into learning about the Edge III.

Anyway, I still fail to see how you can make a judgement about how much someone knows about tone or pickups solely judged on the fact that they decided not to get an amp that you like. I strongly dislike Valvekings, does that mean I have no ear for tone?
Well i will say this.

The Dimebucker is a not so cheap rip off of an emg...

it tries to be an emg but fails.

so i mean its a decent pickup up but get and emg set (many rr players do)

and you will be much happier.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by FRDesign
go to my profile and look at some of the recent threads Ive made, you will see that I have been looking for mesas.

Now stop going off topic in this guys thread.

Yeah ok.... anyways.TS I would try them out first.

Quote by diditfortehlulz
You guys are assholes.

I swear to god I see you in every thread I'm in.
Quote by Inbleach
I actually played it through a Line 6 (Spider III I think) a Mesa Dual Rec, and a JCM2000, none of them belonging to me, and all tube amps sound different so it might not even sound good with my JCM2000. Mine tends to have the right amount of bass I like, and get a pretty decent metal sound.

Hm... the Recto's probably a good bit brighter than the JCM, but since you played through both then it probably wasn't the amp.

What I'd do, if possible, is find a Mahogany guitar with a JB in the bridge and try it through a JCM, to see if it was the body wood that was making the majority of the difference in what you liked about the distortion. Otherwise, I'd look into other high- output actives before buying the Dimebucker.

Quote by FRDesign

Out of curiosity, what Mesa are you looking into getting?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Honestly, chill.

Maybe he removed the Valveking from his sig because his plans changed? Doesn't have to be because you "made fun of him for it". Anyway, he obviously knows SOMETHING about guitars, considering the amount of time he's put into learning about the Edge III.

Anyway, I still fail to see how you can make a judgement about how much someone knows about tone or pickups solely judged on the fact that they decided not to get an amp that you like. I strongly dislike Valvekings, does that mean I have no ear for tone?

He removed it 4 minutes ago ritgh after some guy did a lolz at him for the amp.BTW, it would be a smart idea to look on all the posts in the thread.I would go into detail why I think he doesn't know but I really don't want to write a novel on this site
I don't think the dimebucker sounds bad, I have it in a razorback playing through a Mesa rectifier and I don't really notice it being muddy. I have more of a problem with having to really back off on the treble when I am playing on clean. I changed the bridge to a super distortion, which I think sounds a lot like the dimebucker with a little warmer tone.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

I humbly suggest, in addition to the Bill Lawrence, Dimarzio D activators... they do an excellent job of imitating actives, without all the things that make actives suck.

Yes, Deactivators are awesome. I would recomend them over any Duncan for high gain style of playing. the notes don't bleed through as much with the duncans so you can play cleaner passages. not as shrill either.

Dimarzio came out with new ones too - the D Activator X - its like a cross between the X2N and the D Activator. it looks the same as the X2N also.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Graveworm

I swear to god I see you in every thread I'm in.

That's because I'm always watching you.

I've actually made a game of e-stalking you and harassing you.
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
That's because I'm always watching you.

I've actually made a game of e-stalking you and harassing you.

....Mr. Livenson

*calls cops*

*E stalk the movie is made*

*I get a grammy*

*you get a grammy for supporting actor*
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Hm... the Recto's probably a good bit brighter than the JCM, but since you played through both then it probably wasn't the amp.

What I'd do, if possible, is find a Mahogany guitar with a JB in the bridge and try it through a JCM, to see if it was the body wood that was making the majority of the difference in what you liked about the distortion. Otherwise, I'd look into other high- output actives before buying the Dimebucker.

Out of curiosity, what Mesa are you looking into getting?
Either a Mark IV, Single/Dual/Triple Rectifer or Rectoverb/Trem-O-Verb, or a Stiletto.
Quote by Graveworm
He removed it 4 minutes ago rigth after some guy did a lolz at him.BTW, it would be a smart idea to look on all the posts in the thread.

I have looked at all the posts in the thread. The way I understood it, he didn't realize that the Valveking thing was still in his sig until someone called him out on it.

You'll soon learn that pouncing on people for trivial things like that will get you nowhere on this site.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I have looked at all the posts in the thread. The way I understood it, he didn't realize that the Valveking thing was still in his sig until someone called him out on it.

You'll soon learn that pouncing on people for trivial things like that will get you nowhere on this site.

OK... moving on with life.
Quote by FRDesign
Either a Mark IV, Single/Dual/Triple Rectifer or Rectoverb/Trem-O-Verb, or a Stiletto.

Ooh... all of those nicer than my F30. It's often recommended on here but I've only seen one or two people who actually have one, so it'd be cool if you got one as well.

Good luck in your decision, and welcome to the MESA cult.
Also, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of tone because it is YOUR tone. I personally dislike Joe Satriani's tone, but that doesn't mean its bad either. Dimebag had his tone too and he loved it. if someone said to him "your tone sucks!" he would tell you to **** off.

Tone is like a woman, some like it fat and mellow, some like it skinny and wild, or some combonation. it's whatever sounds GOOD TO YOU.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Page 1 of 2