Ok now i have been doing a bit of research and i want to know if this will work.

Now can i record from my 'Recording out' input on my amp.

To a USB sound card, which will then plug into my computer.

Which i can then use to record onto Auticaty? (or some other program)

Or will i need some kind of a microphone. If i do need a microphone what type would you recommend for a budget of under $100AUS. Thanks heaps to anyone that can help.

has no signature.
a "recorder out" input

If you get an audio interface, (what you call a usb sound card...) you should be able to go from any output on the amp, (as long as its not for any type of speaker cab) and feed them into the interface.

If you want better sound its better to mic an amp with something like the Shure SM57 mic though...

What gear are you working with and whats your budget?
Quote by moody07747
a "recorder out" input

If you get an audio interface, (what you call a usb sound card...) you should be able to go from any output on the amp, (as long as its not for any type of speaker cab) and feed them into the interface.

If you want better sound its better to mic an amp with something like the Shure SM57 mic though...

What gear are you working with and whats your budget?

Well my guitar teacher is convinced that i could start recording for under $150. But won't tell me anything about it. So i have no idea if this is possible so i have been researching a little bit.

Oh yeah and the $150 includes a new, used computer.

When i said Recording out input, i ment a little input on my amp that says 'Recording out'. If you're talking about my guitar gear it's nothing special really. A Roland 15-Cube amp, and a ESP/LTD H-50.

If you're talking programs wise i got nothing. Thanks for your help man.

has no signature.
ok that "record out" line on the cube amps isnt an input, its an output....thats what confused me at first.

Roland suggests in their manuals that you record from this port compared to micing the tiny speaker, (at least this is how it is for my micro cube manual...)

You can record for $150USD with a fair interface and cheapish but workable mic but you cant really find a desktop computer out there for $150USD which will work for anything more than word processing IMO.

My guess is your teacher doesnt know much about recording but knows it can be done. It sounds like he is avoiding telling you info, probably because he doesnt know much about recording gear and such and therefore doesnt want to pull you in the wrong direction.

Some tips on finding a PC though,
Keep an eye out on stlickdeals.net
I got my Acer Aspire T180 which only needed a few upgrades for just $300USD after rebates. Usually Circuit City does some nice deals which you can work with to get an even better deal out of it.

I ended up putting $140 into my Acer to get it running with vista and Cakewalk Sonar 6 Producer. I probably didnt need any $100 video card but I did need to boost the ram for vista so it would only cost ya $40 really...(stock was 512mb and PC was an Acer Aspire T180).

Lastly, go through Tweak's Guide linked in my sig, it is a very helpful page for anyone going into recording.
Yeah well i was looking on ebay they got some real cheap ones but would they not be good enough? I wasn't really looking for a brand new computer just anything i can get.

And my teacher didn't really say he wouldn't tell me he just told me that i should do some research so i don't really know what he know's.

And yeah i will look through that guide, i have been going through some other guides but i haven't gotten a lot out of them. So would this still be possible to record with the stuff i mentioned on my first post? Or will the quality be too crappy?

has no signature.