well i figured out that when im soloing i always accidently tweek a note or let an open string ring out ruining the solo so to fix this i tied a bandana around my fretboard on the lower frets. is this good? bad? do a lot of people do this?
its taking the easy way out. Just practice playing cleanly.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Some people do it while recording.
I find it cheating though, and improving with muting strings doesn't happen when such is done.
Signatures are overrated.
It's alright, as long as you don't do it live.

Might aswell learn doing something properly though
Quote by littlephil
I read this threat title as banana wrapped around the fretboard and thought WTF??

+1
(thinks to self) *hm, banana, wha?? some sort of new finish to the fretboard? ive SOO gotta see this*
There are a few cases where putting a sock/bandana over your fretboard is somewhat neccessary.

But you should just work on mutting strings.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Unless you have a double necked guitar ala Michael Angelo Batio, or use really really high output humbuckers and a high gain amp, this is pretty much unnecessary, just practice playing cleanly
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
if you arent going to use those frets at all then I think its ok. if you need open strings though, then you arent going to be able to play them...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
If You Sit In The Classical Position And Play Your Hand Should Be More Inclined To Gently Palm Mute When Playing Therefore Solving The Problem But I Use Dampeners Sometimes If Im Doing Something Really Difficult Or Recording It Just Saves Time.
^ Goothrie Govan

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Speaking of Govan...

How in the world do you pronounce his name? I've heard "Guh-three", "Goo-three", "Go-vaughn", "Guh-ven".

*shrugs*

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
yeah, they 2 guitarists for protest the hero use hairbands on the first fret for when they do their sweep-runs.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by Jinskee
Speaking of Govan...

How in the world do you pronounce his name? I've heard "Guh-three", "Goo-three", "Go-vaughn", "Guh-ven".

*shrugs*

Guh-three and goo three both work and go ven like beethoven