Page 1 of 2
i play a lot of metal and i love the look the look of the telecaster.
ive seen people like yngwie play metal-type stuff on his strat.
would the tele be able to be clear with lots of gain?
is the neck really as fat as people say it is?
Go ask John 5.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
ive seen people shredding(in person) on a tele before. Though shredding with tele seems kinda dumb to me, considering im a old fashioned player, the tele is quite the versitale instrument. You may not be able to get the tones you want out of a stock one but with a few minor purchases you should be able to get what your looking for.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
honestly, that title is an oxymoron. buying a telecaster for shredding is just stupid. It does not sound good with a lot of gain, the tone can be pretty lacking, and you could do so much better. A strat if you really need to, but honestly, there are much better guitars for metal, and one's that gice you a lot more access to the frets than a tele (Ibanez, for example)
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
Quote by Graveworm
There are better guitars for metal.

No shit.

TS:

If you like Teles, buy a Tele, then pop a Hotrail in it or something.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at May 17, 2008,
Quote by diditfortehlulz

Actually thats what my old guitar teacher did. Except he didnt play metal(although he could). Sounded excellent clean and distorted, but again tele's werent made for metal so you might not get what your looking for(though isnt that how unique tones are made?)
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
John 5 is the only metal player I can think of that plays a tele. If you looking for a good shredding guitar check out Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, and Dean. In that order. You can probably find a nice used Jackson on eBay around the same price of a MIM Telecaster.

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/Jackson_Guitar_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ3858
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Quote by Lamrick21
Actually thats what my old guitar teacher did. Except he didnt play metal(although he could). Sounded excellent clean and distorted, but again tele's werent made for metal so you might not get what your looking for(though isnt that how unique tones are made?)

I mean, you have the Hotrail in the bridge for heavier stuff, and the neck pickup for cleans and stuff like that. I wouldn't do that to a Tele to begin with, because I'm a purist, but that would be a great setup.

The best tones always come about through mistakes, so you never know...
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
No shit.

TS:

STOP FOLLOWING ME!

TS look on a Jackson, ESP, or Ibanez
he wants a tele

look for a jim root or john 5 tele (not a fan of john 5 or slipknot, im just suggesting)

or maybe buy a stock tele with a humbucker cavity in the bridge and slap on a high output p/u in it like an emg or sd. doubt you'd get a DECENT metal tone with single coils unless its that crazy rail stuff from seymour duncan which ive had no experience with

good luck
Wouldn't reccomend it. Tele's are better for fusion/jazz/funk/blues. IF you want a good shredding guitar Go with Schecter, ESP, or Jackson. Me personally, i play a lot of metal and am a lead guitarist, I'm a schecter user (C1+, C7FR, V1 FR). They all do pretty well at shredding.
John 5.
Ritchie Kotzen.
Jari Menpaa. (Wintersun)
Matt Rach. (look him up on youtube)

All shred on Teles, and I'm a fan of all their respective tones. The Tele's bridge pickup is very bright and articulate, so it's actually a good fit for shreddy and brighter- sounding metal provided you have the right amp.
Quote by RATM forever
honestly, that title is an oxymoron. buying a telecaster for shredding is just stupid. It does not sound good with a lot of gain, the tone can be pretty lacking, and you could do so much better. A strat if you really need to, but honestly, there are much better guitars for metal, and one's that gice you a lot more access to the frets than a tele (Ibanez, for example)

1. It's called originality and it's a good thing, not stupid.
2. Telecasters actually do sound good at high gain imo because due to the natural brightness of the guitar you can have lots or distortion without losing clarity.
3. Telecasters are some of the most naturally toneful guitars known to man, to call them lacking in that aspect is just pure ignorance on your part.
4. Telecasters have good upper fret access, unless your fingers are an inch long I couldn't possibly imagine you having problems with that.
Quote by RATM forever
honestly, that title is an oxymoron. buying a telecaster for shredding is just stupid.

Sometimes when people post on this forum I get the feeling that they have
never even seen things that they are talking about..Telecasters have been
made famous by country and bluegrass bands..and what are those two genres
most known for?...Fingerstyle and chicken pickin!!! I find it hard to believe
that you would say buying a telecaster for shredding is stupid cuz telecasters
are famous for keeping pace with banjos!!! Heavy metal can get insane
at times..but ive never heard a metal song that has the frantic nature of some
crazy bluegrass SHRED!!!

You can always throw a humbucker rail in there...Whats the big deal anyway
with telecasters..Change the shape of a headstock and people think its a totally
different guitar...Same idiots that think their Dimebag razorback is better just
because they have a limited edition that came with a $500 sticker...

. o O ( ugh!!..where do they get these people....)
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at May 18, 2008,
Quote by All_Bodies
i play a lot of metal and i love the look the look of the telecaster.

If its just because you like the look of the telecaster then try some other brands that have telecaster shaped bodies, for example schecter have telecaster shaped guitars that are better suited to metal.
there are probably other brands that do the same kind of things...
Otherwise, try either the J5, Jim Root or Joe Strummer models because as far as i know there necks are thinner. I davise you to try as many of these as possible and then choose the one you like most, you might like the thicker neck of the tele or you may hate it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wam-oMub8EU&feature=related

The sounds this kid gets out of a guitar are incredible.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Last edited by Thebridge at May 18, 2008,
You can shred on a tele if you want. Don't let people tell you you can't. Just because a lot of metal players use Schecter, Ibanez, Dean, Jackson, etc... doesn't mean those are exclusively the only guitars you can use to play metal on. If it feels good in your hands, then do it.
Quote by RATM forever

Oh really? Tell that to Jari Maenpaa.
I play metal/shred on my Tele all the time...granted, if I had money I'd be after something else, but I can get decent metal tone out of it. Don't let anyone tell you that you need an ugly body, 2 humbuckers, 24 frets, and a Floyd Rose for a guitar to be used in metal.
well you can shred on any guitar with the right setup(amp and pickups) if you youtube iron maiden Rock In Rio, you can see all 3 guitarist tearing it up on customized strats.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
a-hem...THERE IS MORE THAN ONE TELECASTER MODEL!!!

there's teles with humbuckers in the bridge stock, H-H stock, H-S-S stock, (EMG)H-(EMG)H stock, H-H-H stock and even an H-S-H i think (but not sure).

go to fender.com they have 35 or modles or so.

hope you find something you like
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by plucky duck
a-hem...THERE IS MORE THAN ONE TELECASTER MODEL!!!

there's teles with humbuckers in the bridge stock, H-H stock, H-S-S stock, (EMG)H-(EMG)H stock, H-H-H stock and even an H-S-H i think (but not sure).

go to fender.com they have 35 or modles or so.

hope you find something you like

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the idea of shredding on the standard, SS Tele.
do what i did, buy a tele 72 deluxe *2 humbuckers* and put in an active EMG. metal + 3
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F24IfgmWz2Y&feature=related

More tele shred. Guthrie is LORD!

Also doesn't Jari Maenpaa play with a stock tele? Wintersun is metal and then some so I think tele's are more than capable with the right amp.

Edit: It is actually worth noting that Guthrie's tele style guitar is in fact a Suhr not a Fender.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't see you would want to do that, If you are into metal then a Jackson would be the best way to go in my opinion, just amazing, everything about it is amazing, neck, pickups and so on. Telecasters just weren't made for metal and wouldn't look or sound as good as a Jackson or Ibanez for a metal player.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Metal on tele looks strange for me, but if YOU like it, go for it! (just be sure to put some metal pus in it).
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
K... so I actually have a telecaster, and i do use it for metal. I own two '72 Telecaster customs... one with stock pickups, the other i've upgraded. it now has a bigsby telecaster bridge, a hot rail in the bridge, and an EMG in the neck... and it is amazing for Metal. however, the telecaster without any changes to it doesn't really work as well for Metal. So I definitely suggest that if you buy a telecaster for metal that you make some pickups changes... lol
Quote by breakstuff
I don't see you would want to do that, If you are into metal then a Jackson would be the best way to go in my opinion, just amazing, everything about it is amazing, neck, pickups and so on. Telecasters just weren't made for metal and wouldn't look or sound as good as a Jackson or Ibanez for a metal player.

What if the TS prefers the tele neck shape? Personally I think teles are some of the most comfortable guitars to play and I wish they did more 'metal' versions of them. There are other reasons beyond sound and looks to want a specific guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I love my Telecaster. I've played a fair few different genres and whatnot on it. I've never had any problem distorting it heavily without losing TOO much tone or having a ton of feedback, but if I had a choice I wouldn't use just any ol' Telecaster. If you're not concerned with the classic "tele twang" and like it more for asthetics, definitely go for a John 5 Tele with the humbucker, or at least a Telecaster with humbuckers.
I think they sound good for hard rock/metal, but with a bright amp it can get kinda hairy. I suggest playing it through something darker, like a Mesa, or even something like a 5150, to really unlock it's true godliness.
You could get a Tele with humbuckers (From Schecter or Fender) or get the single coils and switch one out for a stacked single. (Seymour Duncan makes a stacked for Tele bridges or necks.) Any guitar can be shredded on really, it all depends on preference....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Vittu0666
Oh really? Tell that to Jari Maenpaa.

Out of curiousity, what model tele does Jari use?
Do what you want, tele's are lovely (I own one ) not amazing for shredding, but like everything bit of work, you'll get a shred machine. Not suited to be one in stock

I wish you best of luck man
Quote by MrCarrot
If you want to turn them into humbuckers, I recommend magic.

Although, I don't advise it.
Page 1 of 2