Page 1 of 2
I'm a new guitarist and have over 1500 to spend on a guitar and an amp stack and a drumset. I'm going to be playing progressive alternative metal like TOOL, or heavy rock like alice in chains/kyuss/metallica
If you don't think i should buy one of those guitars, im accepting recommendations

For the AMPS I'm choosing:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-HD150-Guitar-Amp-Head-Spider-III-412-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=485062
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

Which would you recommend and why?

Guitars:
Faded Gibson SG
s470
js100
se custom
rg1570

Be happy to throw in your recommendations
I'm only gonna buy new strings and a DS Distortion or a Wah Pedal

Drumset:
pulse 8pc
tama imperialstar
gretsch catalina

I'm prolly gonna buy the guitar used off of ebay to save 1-2 hundred so that way I can get new heads for the drums
Both of those amps are shit.

Try again. As for guitars, the S470 would be my choice, if not than the PRS. Tama for drums.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
For the amps get the marshall.

For guitar either choose the Rg or the js100.

For drums I don't really know because I haven't been playing drums that long to know what's good or bad.
amps: YOU DONT NEED A HALF STACK. both of those are crap.
guitar: sg, or prs.
drums: catalina
Amp- Neither. Spider 3 is good at low volumes, but thats it. And MG's.... dont even go there. Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Guitar- I've heard good things about the JS-100, but I dont know how good it is for metal. I personally own a Gibson SG Faded Special, and its great. Some people give it crap, but its a great guitar once you set it up. I've The Ibanez RG's are good guitars too, but i have no experience with that particular model.

Drumset- I dont play drums, so im no help. Sorry buddy.
no i want to spend money first and BUY SOMETHING good so i dont have to upgrade and i play piano so i have SOME musical background
Quote by amd123
what amps do you recommend?

Well, you'll save money by not getting a stack, but you can get a decent combo for about $400-$500 that will be loud enough for a gig.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

what combo amps do you guys recommend and what pedals I'm definitely getting a used wah/ds distortion
Go to craigslist....its the best thing for what your trying to do. Personally i dont like the PRS - i think the lower end ones are shoddy in the versatility and tone department (just opinion). And take the money you save from purchasing a used guitar and drum set to get a nice tube amp.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
2 weeks? You dont need a 1500 dollar rig. You can get good gear that'll last you a couple years without spending that much.
I own the RG 1570, it is one of my favorite guitars. It is definitely a good choice for a midrange guitar. Remember, if you want a brand just go with gibson, but if you want a sound, try out the individual guitars on a good amp.
Try to find a Fender "The Twin" (often refered to as the "red knob twin") i have one, with black knobs though, its the only fender amp that has a usable distortion in my opinion(can handle anything by TOOL with ease)
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
those amps suck and i would definately go with the rg 1570 for an axe
Gear:
ibanez ic 400
fender metalhead half stack
jackson sl3 soloist
oh jeez.

youre asking what to choose between an MG and a spider? prepare to get flamed.

personally id go for a decent used guitar, and an okay used drumset and then buy a tube amp, because youre only going to regret buying the spider or the mg later.
Quote by Lamrick21
Go to craigslist....its the best thing for what your trying to do. And take the money you save from purchasing a used guitar and drum set to get a nice tube amp.

+1.
Quote by amd123
what combo amps do you guys recommend and what pedals I'm definitely getting a used wah/ds distortion

For amps, you're gonna have to go used. It's good though, look at an Orange amp combo. They're great little bastards.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

yeah i was thinking about other brands such as randall or orange... and I tried craigslist to see what was in my area and got few results... so im guessing its between the ibanez s/js100/rg i knew this was gonna happen Ebay here i come
Be careful with ebay. My friend paid 800 dollars for a les paul standard on ebay, and when it got here, it didn't work.
The Valveking is great for anything other than Metal, so if you're just in a regular rock band, it will do great for you.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

this is why im probably gonna buy the BEST I CAN AFFORD IN STORE so im accepting all recomendations for midrange guitars + amp + drumset for around 1500.
To the amps you just listed:

Valvekings have good metal tones, not a whole lot else. Should be good for whatyou want though.

Randalls are also good metal amps(Dime used them), but having never played one, I dont know how well they handle other stuff. Again, it should be good for your purposes.
please tell me your not a beginning drummer too, because i would deffinately stay away from playing tool starting out for drums

but for your guitar prediciment...

look around at used gear and such, and maybe get yourself like a multieffects thing or whatever to start out with effects
NOPE
Out of those drum sets get the Tama. It's the only one complete with cymbals and hardware and if you need double bass pedal then get this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-DP602C-Double-Pedal?sku=443592
It's the best double bass pedal for cheap. With two bass drums you would have to tune them the same.
For the price of those **** half stacks you could get an amazing tube combo or tube head.
Out of those guitars i would say the rg1570 is the best.
Summary: You need to look at different gear to buy. the stuff you chose isn't the best for your musical styles. Except the drum set, as it comes with all the things you need and so it won't end up costing a fortune. Read the descriptions because the other two didn't come with cymbals.
oh, i see thanks for pointing that out well WHAT amps do you guys recommend what are these AMAZING tube combos amps? And if i get a tube amp dont i have to replace the tubes, what/how is that process?
Quote by Pyrofretnic
To the amps you just listed:

Valvekings have good metal tones, not a whole lot else. Should be good for whatyou want though.

Randalls are also good metal amps(Dime used them), but having never played one, I dont know how well they handle other stuff. Again, it should be good for your purposes.

I'm sorry, but

NO!!

Valvekings are amazing for anything but metal, it's the 6505 that are only good for metal.

Just because Dime used Randalls, doesn't make them good. He used Warheads, which were Randalls best SS amps, and which are expensive as hell. A lot more than $1500.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

when i said metal i only mean metallica and tool thats about it i dont like any other metal except for metallica and tool im more into grunge
Quote by amd123
when i said metal i only mean metallica and tool thats about it i dont like any other metal except for metallica and tool im more into grunge

Well, the Valveking can do Metallica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2LJIQvwvKw

Although it's not amazing when it comes to high gain. If you're happy with that, than the Valveking would do good for grunge, blues, rock, etc.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I'm sorry, but

NO!!

Valvekings are amazing for anything but metal, it's the 6505 that are only good for metal.

Just because Dime used Randalls, doesn't make them good. He used Warheads, which were Randalls best SS amps, and which are expensive as hell. A lot more than $1500.

Haha excuse my error
I seem to see a lot of people using VK's around here for metal, and I've heard some really good tones from them. But after hearing that, Im guessing they may just be using an overdrive or a completely seperate distortion?

And like I said, I've never played a Randall. I just knew Dime used them.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Haha excuse my error
I seem to see a lot of people using VK's around here for metal, and I've heard some really good tones from them. But after hearing that, Im guessing they may just be using an overdrive or a completely seperate distortion?

And like I said, I've never played a Randall. I just knew Dime used them.

Well, they can do Sabbath and Metallica, but I wouldn't really recommend them for anything else.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

It's a great guitar, but's a bit expensive isn't it?

Unless you buy your drum set another time.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Page 1 of 2