Hey...for my guitar build, I decided on a natural finish. My dad and I ordered some bookmatched flamed maple to go on a mahogany body. We were down at Sam Ash today and were looking at basses, and I noticed that in every single one with a figured top, there was a 3rd layer with a darker contrasting wood between the top wood and the body wood. Does anybody know what kind of wood is used (I was thinking maybe indian rosewood?), and how thick it should be? Thanks.

By the way, any bumpage in my thread is welcome...it's in my signature.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Any dark hardwood that you can find a large enough veneer of. It's literally only for aesthetics, so kock yourself out.
Alright, thanks. I figured it was just for aesthetic purposes, but it looks so much better when it's there than when it isn't.

Btw, I lol'ed at your typo...
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Ah, shoot. Damn and blast! Sorta brings all sorts of sordid imagery to mind, doesn't it?

Anyways, do it. I've got some designs that are crying out for some veneer accenting. If you wanna get exotic with them you might wanna check out how Alembic deck out their guitars and basses. The headstocks are particularly intricate.
I'd go for exotic, but we already bought the maple, which looks like 5A figure, but I wouldn't know...I just know it looks really good. Also, I wasn't really looking to spend more than $120.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

An Alembic-style headstock shouldn't set you back too much. All you need are a few headstock-sized veneers of alternating colours. Or do something else- veneer the headstock on the front with some figured maple and sandwich a dark veneer in there like on the body.

Edit: Sorry, I'm projecting...
Haha it's alright. I was planning on having the same type of veneer on the headstock as on the body, i forgot to mention that. I kind of want to bevel the edges on the headstock to make it a little rounder, and take off any wood that I can because it's a rather large headstock. Hopefully this project will end up how I want it...It's my first build, but we're having guidance from people with a lot of experience.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Yes we have a template for it.

LP, from what I've seen, I actually prefer the walnut on top of the maple, rather than vice versa
O.S.I.

Check out my profile