ive been playing for 6 years, and i am getting some pedals and was wondering what i should get. i am on a budget and really dont know what kinds i need for my styles of music (rhcp, blink-182, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Ramones, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, Wolfmother, Boston, Jet, Green Day, some metallica, and little bits of classic rock too, etc, etc.)

after i get them, im building my own pedalboard too

EDIT:

K, so:

this is my plan listed below (no particular order)

Amp: Crate V50-112 $400
Wah: Vox Wah $90 or Dunlop Cry Baby $100
OD: Ibanez TS9 $100 or Bad Monkey $50
Tuner: Boss TU-2 $100 or Korg Pitch Black $90
Power: Visual Sound 1 Spot $35
Pedal Board: Core Equipment Small Diamond Plate Pedal Board $75
Patch Cables: Ernie Ball Angle-Angle Patch Cables $8 each

as you can see their are a few thing left to decide, so any help is appreciated.

i play mostly a bunch a different kinds of rock, ive been told "classic to thrash" lol
Last edited by AJS19 at May 19, 2008,
Go with digitech there stonger than a nuns will not to be ****ed, go with the grunge(some good effects),death metal(heavy distortion), or the digidelay(like 4 seconds of delay, to much for me to handle) the bad monkey smells bad...TRUST ME!
Maybe a BOSS DS-1 or Electro-Harmonix Big Muff (both distortion pedals -Cobain and Frusciante both use(d) these), Electro-Harmonix Small Clone (Cobain used one), maybe an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone (Phaser). I'd probably just stick with a distortion pedal and maybe a modulation pedal (chorus or flanger) for those artists you listed. I wouldn't really bother with any metal distortion pedals since you only listed one metal band (Metallica). Hope that helps you out some!
From what iv'e read around here, valvekings distortion isn't the best. So amp searching may need to continue. For that kind of music, i would suggest the following effects:

Wah- Perhaps essential, as most of your artists use them constantly (esp RHCP & Wmother)
Overdrive- Something like an Ibanez TS-9, or for a lower budget, maybe an SD-1.
Distortion- I would say big muff. Covers MOST of what you have there.
Boost- Mainly to drive either one of your OD's into a good solo tone- MXR MC-401 or Micro amp. There are literally tons of boosters though.
Chorus- either a boss CE-5 or EHX Small stone.

This looks like a good start, and provides quality on a budget. Covers most of your interests as well, as they all mainly uses these effects. However, im not a fan of boss products, cept the DD-3, so make sure you try out each pedal before purchase.

Im not sure on price, but i wouldn't get the VK. Something tells me it isnt the nicest. I would suggest something like a Peavy Classic 30watt. Cheaper if you go used to, and these amps are reliable, so you should be good.
wow that's an amazingly wide range of styles.... classic to thrash... wow.
get something versatile. i dont recommend anything specifically for a genre (i.e. metal muff, metal zone)
distortion/OD: i'd recommend ibanez ts-9 or the boss sd overdrive if you cant afford the ts-9.. if you want distortion instead, i actually like the big muff personally.
wah: dunlop crybaby i believe that is about 70 bucks.
delay: line6 modeling , which is freakin expensive so boss DD-6
tuner: TU-2 or korg came up with a new tuner called pitchblack which is cheaper than tu-2 by 10 bucks.
chorus: MXR or boss CE
meh cant think of any more other pedals are not necessary... (i.e. phaser, rotovibe, whammy) but they are nice to have if you have money, which i assume you dont. boss is good for budgets but they sound fake... really they do..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
for most of these id like to stay with digitech and boss (cause generally they are cheaper). ive been doing some research and have found some stuff but i need some opinions cause this is a large chunk of change for me to drop and want to make the right desisicion:

Wah: set on a dunlop cry baby
Distortion & Overdrive: choices: bad monkey, SD-1, Hot rod, TS-9...
Chorus: CE-5, Multi-Chorus
Delay: DD-3
Tuner: set on Boss TU-2

so basically the only trouble im having is with choosing a distortion/overdrive.

and if i get those five pedals i have no idea which order i should put them in

and im know debating b/t 2 amps, the Peavey ValveKing 112, or the Crate V-Series V50-112
Order: Tuner->Wah->OD/Distortion->EQ->Modulation(Chorus/Flanger/Step)->Delay->Reverb->Amp
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Well since your thinking about getting a ValveKing they have pretty good distortion so you might just want a EQ pedal instead of distortion. Thats what i do anyways. For powering your stuff i would use a 1 spot, its cheap and it powers everything (might need an adapter for some pedals though)
Quote by Mugz
Well since your thinking about getting a ValveKing they have pretty good distortion so you might just want a EQ pedal instead of distortion. Thats what i do anyways. For powering your stuff i would use a 1 spot, its cheap and it powers everything (might need an adapter for some pedals though)

unless i left my amp on clean or light distortion and used say..a bad monkey for all my OD/Distortion needs

i also said i might be getting a crate V50-112 also so i think it might be more beneficial (save $30 not buying the VK, get an OD )
Last edited by AJS19 at May 18, 2008,
k now ive narrowed it down a bit more:

Amp: Crate V50-112 OR Peavey Valveking 112 (ive only tried the vk b/c my local guitar center doesnt have the crate in stock)

Wah: Dunlop Cry Baby
Overdrive: Digitech Bad Monkey OR Boss SD-1
Chorus: Digitech Multi-Chorus OR Boss CE-5
Delay: Digitech Digidelay OR Boss DD-3

Tuner: Boss TU-2
Power Supply: Visual Sound 1 Spot
dude why so much digitech
they suck BALLS at pedals
c'mon guys
wah=dunlop crybaby
overdrive=i would get a ts-9 because the overdrive is like the most important pedal i have, so make this one top notch, and if not than bad monkey
chorus=those both aren't very good, go for a ehx small CLONE NOT STONE (the stone's a cool phaser though if you want that)
tuner=boss tu-2 ftw
power supply=hit this on the money, 1 spots are awesome
in general
try to stay away from digitech (EW, except for the bad monkey) and boss, expect for delays, tuners, and OLD stuff, old chorus' etc. etc.
hope that helps
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Just so you're aware, all those digitech/boss stompboxes and that Dunlop crybaby are gonna completely ruin your tone. Take some time to save the money for your pedals, and invest in some things that are more high quality.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Wah: Vox Wah $99
Distortion & Overdrive: I'd say Ibanez Tubescreamer $99
Chorus: EHX Small Clone $80
Delay: Normally, I'd say a Line 6 DL-4 but since you're ion a budget, I'd say DigiDelay. $99
Tuner: Boss TU-2 $99 or Behringer TU300 $30

It'll be $450 or so.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Korg Pitchblack tuner. Better (more accurate) than the Boss. Cheaper too.
Quote by AJS19
k now ive narrowed it down a bit more:

Amp: Crate V50-112 OR Peavey Valveking 112 (ive only tried the vk b/c my local guitar center doesnt have the crate in stock)

Wah: Dunlop Cry Baby
Overdrive: Digitech Bad Monkey OR Boss SD-1
Chorus: Digitech Multi-Chorus OR Boss CE-5
Delay: Digitech Digidelay OR Boss DD-3

Tuner: Boss TU-2
Power Supply: Visual Sound 1 Spot

Crate V series amps are great. I have the V33 head, and it's very neat.

The Cry Baby is a "meh" wah. It's like...bread. It'll feed you, but christ, it's boring.

Upgrade on the OD front. You won't regret it. You can get a used Ibanes TS9 for the price of a new bad monkey, if you look around.

Do you really need chorus and delay? If you really do, consider how much delay time you need. If you don't need 5 seccond delays, consider an analogue delay.
um well just for fun if you want other things as well
phaser= mxr phase 90
flanger= mxr flanger
volume pedal=ernie ball jr. vp
and if you want a pedalboard get this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-Pedalboard-Ships-Fed-Ex-Today_W0QQitemZ360052198644QQihZ023QQcategoryZ41412QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
id still say the korg pitchblack over the boss tu-2. its more accurate and the boss bypass is notorious for sucking (tone, lol). other than that, you seem to be on the money with the od, 1spot, wah and amp. dont know if you really need the board though, especially with only 3 pedals right now. id say a 2x8 and some velcro will hold you out until you get a couple more pedals. (do they even sell 2x8s?)
^If not, he can nail some 2x4s together.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^pft, its all about that new glue stuff where the guy sticks the hammer to the ceiling in the commercial. nails are so out of fashion these days. just stick a pair of 2x4s together with that and youve got a board big enough for a couple pedals.
^Touche.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
yeah im probly gunna build my own "fancy plank" pedalboard from that pedalboard making thread.
actually i beg to differ hokie guitar gear and accessories head man lol
i say go for the board, probably cheaper, and will give you more room to expand on pedals
plus its hella easy to take around
and saves the work too
i could go on
i have it myself
its AWESOME for the price
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE