Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for about 5 months, and I freaking love it. I started out with a pathetic little ebay special, 100 bucks guitar and amp pack. Horrible little thing, learned the basics with it over 2 months or so and upgraded to an ESP EC-50. Beautiful little thing, I just love the resemblism it has to Slash's sunburst Les Paul with it's modern touch, it has a neck perfect for my size hand, I've managed to get rather good with it, I'm playing rhythm for my band with it and it's doing me well. However I'm wondering what an even better guitar could do for me.

I don't really have a price range, I'm willing to go as high or as low depending on the guitar. Nothing to outrageous though. The type of music I like playing is sort of as soft as Bloc Party to as heavy as Bullet. I've been looking at Gibsons mainly, they come at a hefty price but from what I've heard are worth every cent.

I'm going to ask you guys what you think would be right for me. Keeping in mind my price range is under 2.5k plus say 500-600 for an AMP. I'm willing to go over my price range if I find something that I fall in love with, I'm not going to be buying for about six months or until Christmas time 2008. Discuss
Spend that under 2.5k on the amp, and the 500-600 on a guitar. Trust me.
Signatures are overrated.
You say 2.5k plus on guitar and 500 for amp, so about $3000?

Spend $2000 on amp of your choice, and $1000 on a guitar. The amp is more important.
5 months and you are spending 3000 on a new guitar and amp!? Also +1 to Moe.
Good guitar + mediocre amp = mediocre sound
Average guitar + good amo = good sound

Quote by UltimateDud
However I'm wondering what an even better guitar could do for me.

Getting a good guitar wont make you play better. Practice does that.
Last edited by littlephil at May 18, 2008,
I agree that a better won't make you a better player by itself, however a nice new guitar can get you much more inspired to play it, it did for me anyway.

Agree about spending more in the amp, a reasonable guitar can sound good on a great amp, a great guitar can sound pretty crappy on a cheap amp.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by littlephil

Well, there are some cases, like if your bad guitar has a baseball bat for a neck and action through the roof. A good one will probably make you play a bit better.
Besides, it could also be inspiration.
Quote by 601210
Well, there are some cases, like if your bad guitar has a baseball bat for a neck and action through the roof. A good one will probably make you play a bit better.
Besides, it could also be inspiration.

Yes, but he has an EC-50 now. Not that bad, and he said he likes it.
3 things

1. Buy a nice amp.
2. What genres do you play?

3. You are only playing for 5 months and learning the basics? Not offense but there are so many things you should learn on guitar and I think buying a gibson because you learn the basics is very EARLY!!!!

Thats my opinion for..

Hey you already have 3 guitars.

Its on your profil. It shows that ou already have a Ibanez, ESP and Fender, so what is the big deal to buy a new guitar if you already have 3 guitars and playing for 5 months??
Last edited by xxx_lionel_xxx at May 18, 2008,
amp is more important (as said like 5 times before) but I wouldn't pin your mind on the gibsons, I played both gibsons and epis and to tell the truth, the difference between them isn't worth the money, so I'd advise a good epiphone (though not an SG, preferably a LP type)

Greetz,
Michel
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vixen
Ibanez RG7321
Cort G210
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Laboga Mr. Hector
Randall 4x12
Boss MT 2
Boss BD 2
Boss DD3
Korg Pitchblack
5 months and you are spending so much on a new gear? Take this money: buy yourself a good sounding metronome, take some lessons with a good teacher and buy some good books about music theory and other stuff. Spending so much money on your level is just throwing it in to mud. Remember: even the best guitar won't make you a great player.

Btw. Another thing that you can do is to buy yourself an acoustic guitar. It'll make you practise your technique utill it'll really sound good, instead of hidding it under distortion or other ****ty effect.
Last edited by Gh. at May 18, 2008,
Quote by xxx_lionel_xxx
3 things

1. Buy a nice amp.
2. What genres do you play?

3. You are only playing for 5 months and learning the basics? Not offense but there are so many things you should learn on guitar and I think buying a gibson because you learn the basics is very EARLY!!!!

Thats my opinion for..

Hey you already have 3 guitars.

Its on your profil. It shows that ou already have a Ibanez, ESP and Fender, so what is the big deal to buy a new guitar if you already have 3 guitars and playing for 5 months??

The Ibanez is an accoustic, the Fender isn't really mine, it just lives at my house, and my ESP is better. I've been told that I'm very good for how long I've been playing, eg I can play the Bohemian Rhapsody solo perfectly, and Tears Don't fall by BFMV start to finish, i'm happy with how good I am, but I'm not sure if you guys would consider me that great, I'm just after your input, what do you think I should do? (considering that I will be much better in 7 months time)
Quote by Gh.
5 months and you are spending so much on a new gear? Take this money: buy yourself a good sounding metronome, take some lessons with a good teacher and buy some good books about music theory and other stuff. Spending so much money on your level is just throwing it in to mud. Remember: even the best guitar won't make you a great player.

Btw. Another thing that you can do is to buy yourself an acoustic guitar. It'll make you practise your technique utill it'll really sound good, instead of hidding it under distortion or other ****ty effect.

I'll take note of that thanks
I can play the Bohemian Rhapsody solo perfectly, and Tears Don't fall by BFMV start to finish, i'm happy with how good I am, but I'm not sure if you guys would consider me that great, I'm just after your input, what do you think I should do? (considering that I will be much better in 7 months time)

Well, after 5 months of playing I was boasting about what I can play... untill someone asked me to improvise over some chords:P.
Imo take some time to practise, you already have what you need to improve. Chill, good gear won't run away from you if you won't buy it after those 7 months.
Wow, I didn't realise the people on the internets where so knolageable I'm coming back here more often. Thanks for the help guys. What do you say I check back in a few months and we can talk again, about possibly buying something
Quote by littlephil
5 months and you are spending 3000 on a new guitar and amp!? Also +1 to Moe.
Good guitar + mediocre amp = mediocre sound
Average guitar + good amo = good sound

But buying a new axe wil make you wanna practice
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I had two guitars by the time I was playing for 5 months, but it was a crappy G-310. NEVER, under any circumstances buy that. A great guitar for about $500 is the Epiphone LP standard.

An amp for 2.5k, there are too many great ones to choose from.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.