Page 1 of 3
It wasn't a song but a drummer was playing a 19/16 beat can't remember who it was though. it's on youtube
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
19/32 to make the stop before the second acoustic "chorus" in To Bid You Farewell by Opeth sound right. Naturally, it's not for the whole song.
I heard a song that was 7/4. Not that weird. But i've heard one that's 13/4 as well. And for songs that you think lack time signatures at all, listen to Meshuggah. It will blow your mind.
7/8 is pretty hard to get into...A lot of compound rhythms are quite difficult to follow, particularly because you can add them up in different ways and change time signatures often.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
/me opens GP5
/me sets time signature to 1/32
/me types in random numbers and hits play so that I can say I've actually heard it.
/me posts on UG about how I heard a song in 1/32.
I just made up a riff in band practice once and my drummer told me it was in 8/32 time or something.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
the song questions from system of a down has different time signatures
there are some parts which are 5/8 some 4/4 and some 9/16
most of meshuggah is in 4/4
"In Death - Is Death" is in 4/4. the only thing is that they change the rhythm and accents
There was something rather entertaining along the lines of this in that adam02 parody video in Youtube.
Loads of prog rock, and other things. It's more complex when the signature changes throughout the song.

I don't like time signatures. I'm going to write a song without one.
Soundgarden have some very odd time signatures.
Times Like These by Foo Fighters is in 7/8, but that's not so strange.
Dream Theater (and actually most prog musicians) have some weird ones which change several times during the course of the song.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater has a ridiculous amount of time-sig changes.

I wrote them all out just for the first section and had a almost a page.
I know there is 7/16 in there.

I'll go look.

EDIT: OK I found it, one section goes:

3/8 7/16 2/4 7/16
5/8 7/16 2/4 3/8

That is only a tiny section and each time signature lasts only for a bar.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Last edited by Mr. La Fritz at May 18, 2008,
Quote by mulletman500
Loads of prog rock, and other things. It's more complex when the signature changes throughout the song.

I don't like time signatures. I'm going to write a song without one.
It's called "free time."
Quote by hazzmatazz
Tool and Soundgarden.

What he said.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Steve The Plank
It's just 4/4 dude.
There is no way. It feels wierd for some reason. Granted, I haven't listened to it in five months...

*listens*

Stills feels a little off.
In Cygnus.. Vismund Cygnus by The Mars Volta, there's a breakdown in 23/8, which leads into a section that has a three bar repeating pattern of 9/16, 6/8 and 2/4, then a fill-in part of 5/16 then 15/16..

And so on.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
This part during the solo from Necrophagist's 'Fermented Offal Discharge' has a weird time signature (I think). I just noticed it was a really weird rhythym.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
my guess is Aphex Twin must've done something with weird time signiatures.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Tool FTW!!

A possible analysis of the meter changes is found in the August 2001 issue of Guitar One magazine. As transcribed by Adam Perlmutter, the song starts in 5/4 for one measure followed by 21 measures of 6/4 (or 5/8 and 7/8 alternating), up to the first interlude, which is a bar of 3/8, three bars of 13/8, and a bar of 10/8. (This can be also interpreted as four 13/8 bars, but played with a 3/8 upbeat.) The next verse is eight bars of 6/4 followed by another interlude that fits the same pattern as the first. The next section is four bars of 6/4 followed by one bar of 11/8. Another eight-bar verse in 6/4 follows, with an interlude containing the same as before, except the final 10/8 bar is replaced with an 11/8 bar setting up the middle section, which is four bars of 7/4 before settling into a pattern of alternating 12/8 and 15/8, one bar each, twelve times. Following this, there are three bars of 4/4, a bar of 2/4, and four bars of 4/4 setting up another section, which is two bars of 9/8 followed by a bar of 10/8, that pattern again, a single bar of 9/8 followed by a 13/8 bar. This leads to an alternating set of 9/8 and 5/8, appearing four times before a bar of 9/8 and a bar of 6/8. Near the end, there is a 6/4 meter for eight bars, followed by eight bars of 4/4 to end the song. In all, the song changes meters 47 times. The band has comically said that the song is in "6.5/8".
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Preety much anything from dream theater
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
meshuggah. any of their newest music.

the guitar riffs are in, say for example, 21/16.
the drummer plays the cymbals in a 4/4 beat, you can hear it and count it, and when the guitar riff reaches the 4th bar, the final note and last drum beat ends together and it keeps on repeating...

that's my theory. >__>
Quote by ctb
meshuggah. any of their newest music.

the guitar riffs are in, say for example, 21/16.
the drummer plays the cymbals in a 4/4 beat, you can hear it and count it, and when the guitar riff reaches the 4th bar, the final note and last drum beat ends together and it keeps on repeating...

that's my theory. >__>

that's a cross rhythm, my band uses one in one of our songs where me (bassist) and the drummer play in 5/8 for 7 bars and the guitarist plays in 7/8 for 5 bars and we meet up at the end

oddest time sig i've heard is 23/16 when i went to see a mattius eklund workshop
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Page 1 of 3