Page 1 of 2
Yeah, as the title suggests...

Who would be interested in contributing to a UG: GB&C wiki?

Nothing too crazy to begin with, just common maintenance and modding jobs, with step-by-step instructions and pictures.

Edit - 29/7/08:

I'll do this at start of term in September, when I'm back at uni, and the workload is low

This is not forgotten, and it will be EPIC.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jul 29, 2008,
I'm not knowledgable enough to contribute, but that sounds like an excellent idea

If done effectively could be a great repository for all sorts of useful information
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
good idea... but will be a lot of work methinks.

most of these basic things are on the site, or linked to already so putting them all in one place would be handy.

I'll help if this gets going... since i have nothing better to do :/
I'd help with it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'll help as much as i can, i'm doing a GCSE in woodworking and know quite a bit about electronics
lol@u
Yay!

I applied for a Wiki from a decent host a few hours ago, and it was just approved! I'll link to it here once I've got the main page ready, so that content can just be slapped on. That should coincide with the end of my exams too, and the start of my build.. so I can take pictures and make notes as I go along, then hopefully get most of the guitar building basics up there. Once it's ready to go, I'll keep an eye on things, but only the start page will be protected.. all of the rest will be free for editing and article addition, so if you think of something that's not on there.. add it! It doesn't matter if you have no pictures or don't know much about Wiki editing - just put the information up, then either myself or someone else will format it.

Hopefully this will be good
^this is a great idea
1) so that we dont get twenty "how do i chage a pup" threads in one day and
2) so we have a definate reference rather than posting links to random websites from all four corners of the globe.

i'll help with it too
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I like. Hopefully a lot of work will be put in and it will work well
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
It's a good idea, and I've pondered on it before, but I can't figure out a way to prevent users from posting erroneous "facts".
Right here. I'll write about general guitar/gear/customization knowledge.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
when it s up and when ive taken photo s of my build ill send them to you (it's half way through th making just made a neck pocket today)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I has an idea! Maybe provide links to some of the more popular and informative threads and builds? This is a really good idea if you ask me.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
mint idea... pardon the pun...

anything i can do to help, just ask.

d
Thank you please.
Wow I would love to help... I dunno if I can though lol.

I have been interested in refinishing my old Yamaha Electric... methinks I could do a step by step photo documented tutorial?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Wow I would love to help... I dunno if I can though lol.

I have been interested in refinishing my old Yamaha Electric... methinks I could do a step by step photo documented tutorial?

Yeah, man!

Seriously, I mean ANYTHING.

How about this:
A general refinishing article, then sub-articles with examples for specific styles of guitars, or types of refinishing job.

If you do something, we can find somewhere to put it. We can put everything that we do in one place, then have it for easy reference. I'm not trying at all to replace the UG:GB&C forum, but I think that the user base we have here could create one HELL of a resource for what we do, to work alongside UG.
Yeah that sounds like an amazing idea! Well, once I'm done my current build I just may start an overhaul of my yamaha.. we'll see how it goes!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Yea, i'll contribute what i can. Its a great idea.

But i think its necessary to have some sort of screening of what people post. As was mentioned above, people around here claim to have facts.

Any info on when its gunna be started?

And i don't think it will kill the UG:GB&C, will just cut down on pointless threads which all have the same responses.
Sounds like it would be a really good idea for pooling all the information and knowledge on here. My only concern is that people would just start putting up all their building/customizing projects, whether or not there's already a page on what they're doing or not.

So basically I think it should be limited a bit, where (for example), there's one wiki on pickup swapping, with as many links as nessecary to threads in GB&C for support/reference, rather than having a hundred "here's what I did when I changed my pickups" wikis...

although I have no idea how all the editing/wiki page making works, so this could just be all pointless rambling .....

anyway, it sounds like a really good idea, and I wouldn't mind contributing to it.
Quote by james4
Sounds like it would be a really good idea for pooling all the information and knowledge on here. My only concern is that people would just start putting up all their building/customizing projects, whether or not there's already a page on what they're doing or not.

So basically I think it should be limited a bit, where (for example), there's one wiki on pickup swapping, with as many links as nessecary to threads in GB&C for support/reference, rather than having a hundred "here's what I did when I changed my pickups" wikis...

although I have no idea how all the editing/wiki page making works, so this could just be all pointless rambling .....

anyway, it sounds like a really good idea, and I wouldn't mind contributing to it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - one article on each thing, then sub-articles and links to GB&C threads for support. I'll protect the key articles, but allow sub articles to be freely added and edited. Wikis keep full lists of changes, so if something goes wrong, anything can be reverted.

I only finished my exams today, so I'll have a few days to chill, then hopefully get cracking on this.
btw, since no one seems to have mentioned it, whats the url gonna be??
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
sorry didnt know u werent gonna let that out yet....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
This is a good idea. As soon as it gets up, I'll see what I can contribute.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Epic Idea is Epic. I'll help, too. I know a quite a bit about electronics and a lot about guitar-related customizing stuff, like installing pups and such, as well as a bit of "theory" (for lack of a better word) about said subjects.

Edit: Also, see the GB&C stickies. In the painting sticky, my tutorial is outdated. If you want, TS, I'll post a link to the up-to-date version thread (it's much better).
Last edited by Invader Jim at May 19, 2008,
I'd help, in a sense of keeping it all maintained to a decent level. Might have some knowledge on what to use etc. and good sounding woods. I have exams, but screw those, I'm only 14. Nothing matters yet (:
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MichaelSpeer
wait sorry whats wikia?
is that like the platform u design it on for wiki? or is it different
either way a great idea

A Wiki is a page edited by anyone. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia of Wikis. Wikia is a host for specific Wikis I believe.

Anyway, sounds like a brilliant idea to me.
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
^That's somewhat incorrect, but it covers it. A wiki is an entire set of wiki pages/entries that comprise the encyclopedia. Wikia is a wiki host that runs servers with the software required to create a wiki, so it's kind of like an office building that houses several companies, but with shared aircondition and plumbing.

edit: This is a secondary thing, but we're gonna need some fancy graphics to set it apart, right? What style can be agreed on.
win

im into wiring mods big style, i'll chuck some stuff on about phase switching, series parallel etc

can someone PM me when they want the stuff? cheers
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Are the UG staff aware of this? I just think it might be a good idea to tell them, since this Wiki would be very UG related.
only to find out that loyal UG members created the thing in the first place
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by Invader Jim
Epic Idea is Epic. I'll help, too. I know a quite a bit about electronics and a lot about guitar-related customizing stuff, like installing pups and such, as well as a bit of "theory" (for lack of a better word) about said subjects.

Edit: Also, see the GB&C stickies. In the painting sticky, my tutorial is outdated. If you want, TS, I'll post a link to the up-to-date version thread (it's much better).

Uhm, can you post that here for me? Or PM me? I have been going by your tutorial to paint my guitar (it works well, thanks! )
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
This seems like an awesome idea! Go guys. I'll help with images and visual stuff if u want. Like the home page etc.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
I'd do whatever I could. I have changed pickups and made pedals so I could do something along those lines.

However, I'm not an expert with those things. Would there be a "how to choose the right pickup" one. I could contribute a load of review/info on my lace sensors. Guitar part reviews an option? i.e tuners, bridges for when someone is building and need to decide upon correct parts?
Page 1 of 2