mute note-- is a note that sounds sorta muffled. they dont sustain well and are good for repeating a note
eg
---------------------------------
-------------------------|-------
-------------------------|-------
-------------------------|----4-
-------------------------|----4--
-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2----|----2--
|_palm mute___|

sorry its the best i could think of.

u do it by placing the pinky finger side of your picking (right) hand across the strings close
to the bridge. if u do it too hard it will sound crap and bend the notes. dont do that.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Palm muted or "dead" notes?

Palm muting is where you place your hand close to the bridge on the guitar (strumming hand BTW)

Don't know how to describe the sound but you could listen the The Scorpions "Rock You like a hurricane" in the verse part, palm muted powerchords.

"Dead notes" are where you place your fretting hand over the string (or strings in some cases) and make sure you're not pressing down on the neck. See the main riff of smells like teen spirit and the intro to Voodoo Chile.

Example:

e|---------------||
B|---------------||
G|---------------||
D|---------------||
A|---------------||
E|---7-x-x-x-5-7-||
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
wow thanks! since the same string is muted all the way through can i do something so dnt alwauys have to mute it?
I don't think that muted notes are palm muted, because as far as I know, palm muted notes are mostly staccato notes. I think that muted notes are similar to ghost notes, they don't produce any sound at all. Of these I'm not that sure, you can probably check the internet for that.
yh,but is there something i can place on the string because in this song its always muted so it saves me havein to put my finger on it
Quote by dinatale
yh,but is there something i can place on the string because in this song its always muted so it saves me havein to put my finger on it

noooo dont do that. just learn to use it