just got my hands on an old japanese les paul copy for £2 at a car-boot sale, it's in pretty bad coniditon, no pickups, badly chipped finish, busted bridge but it just seemed too good a deal to have left!

was sorta planning on giving it a complete refurb and making it playable but would this cost WAY too much? i'll have loads of time to work on it over the summer but its gunna be a PAIN if it ends up costing me LOADS coz i'm completely broke atm.

any suggestions on what i should do with it?
what sorta pickups to put in? i mainly play stuff from foo fighters to some indie stuff so i'd want it to be quite versatile.

thanks in advance!
its prob made from plywood
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
just taking some pics now...

thanks for the tips on the pickups!

how would i go about finding out what type of wood it is??
buy gfs parts in the discount section. They have sets of humbuckers for like 30 bucks.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
irongear are crap. GFS all the way!

i'd love a chance like that
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i cant tell whats wrong with the bridge, but you will probably need new pots to go with the pickups... and definitely some new tuners (grovers are good and not too hard on the wallet)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
*cough*EMG'SARETHEBEST*cough*

But seriously I'd get the wood checked out, idk how you would even do that but that would be something to do. If it's like plywood I would either just junk it or get pickups that aren't heavily reliant on the tone wood of the guitar... Like EMG's, actually. If it's a decent wood then definately fix it up, that's a pretty sweet deal.

I remember seeing a topic like this somewhere, the guy bought one of those obviously fake Japanese Gibson LP copies off eBay for $5. Then he rewired it, put all new everything in it, painted the fretboard (idk what it's called but there's actually a paint designed just for that.) and it looked great, the guy claimed it played really well too. I think he said all together he spent about $450 on it. I've actually been thinking about doing this sometime just for the experience of doing it.
just asked my dad and he says that the wood is plywood...
i still wanna try and do it up though, like u said, just for the experience!
any other types of pickup that don't really rely on the tone wood? just trying to keep my options open!
looks like a good find.if you go with emgs you will get new pots and a new jack
as a bonus. then you just need tuners and a new nut.
if the neck and frets are good and not warped you should have a fine guitar.
good luck.
Quote by Jack25
just asked my dad and he says that the wood is plywood...
i still wanna try and do it up though, like u said, just for the experience!
any other types of pickup that don't really rely on the tone wood? just trying to keep my options open!

plywood just makes it sound diferent, not bad. your hands will have more
influince on the tone than the wood will.
oh wikid, i always heard that plywood was really bad...
i've just been on a site that told me how to check if the neck is warped and it looks alright from what i can see...
oh and do you think i should re-finish it completely or would that be a lot of work for a pretty crap result?
Quote by Jack25
oh and do you think i should re-finish it completely or would that be a lot of work for a pretty crap result?

thats for you to decide, but if you do .go to home depot and get some
wood hardner.sand it to bare wood,and then brush the wood hardner on it.
sand it smooth.that will give it a more solid wood sound.then just paint it
like normal.
thats CHEAP man £2 is awsome prices to be paying for a guitar, ply or not.

you probably couldnt get a piece of plywood for that price.

my guess is that its got a maple neck too, so go for it man, re-spray it. whack some GFS pups init.

could you post like 10 more pictures too haha.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
thats CHEAP man £2 is awsome prices to be paying for a guitar, ply or not.

you probably couldnt get a piece of plywood for that price.

my guess is that its got a maple neck too, so go for it man, re-spray it. whack some GFS pups init.

could you post like 10 more pictures too haha.

+ X^0, X =/= 0

Is the neck a bolt-on? If it is and in case it's warped, it gives you the option to replace it.

Assuming the neck's fine and is a bolt-on, I'd re-finish the body and neck and make it "look" like a set neck, just for grins.

The thing has multiple bindings throughout, a huge plus, and the neck inlays look decent. Congrats! You have a nice, fun project on your hands. Make sure to properly mask the bindings when you re-finish it. Heck, if you have the chops, you can probably put a Maple veneer and do it it in Transparent Black!

Good Luck!

Wow looks great man! Keep us posted! Oh and for cheap parts but dece quality, go to GFS!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Yeah, I'd agree that'd be a plywood body. It looks like it even has one of those arced tops that are just bent into shape.

But that's not necessarily a sign that it's a bad guitar.
i def say gfs all the way for everything you need. you'll be able to get that guitar playing for relatively cheap and still have decent parts on it. whoever said emgs... no, did you hear what kind of music he'll be playing? gfs ftw
im looking at the gfs pickups but i'm not sure which to get...any recommendations?
^ If you're in the UK I'd go for Irongear over GFS. The shipping would kill you. Plus, Irongear Pickups are much better IMO.
Quote by Jack25

Still have to pay shipping costs & import costs if you order a fair bit.

I'd definitely look at Irongear, i've been impressed from what i've heard.
there are sound samples on the website, just search irongear pickups on google.

Edit*
For cheap(ish) hardware check out www.axesrus.com
They've got everything on there. I'd also replace all the electrics in that guitar, just so it sounds a bit better, and forget about the fact its plywood. Its all the fun of doing it up.