Page 1 of 2
I was having a discussion with my mum the other day, and she said "rockstars" try not to be bad influences as some kids/teens look up to them as role models..

So im asking the pit.. do any of you here look up to any musicians/rockstars and consider them role models?

Do you think rockstars should consider their actions and how they can influence their fans?

would you ever blame a fan's wrong doing on the band that "influenced" them, for example in the lastest suicide that was blamed on MCR or past murders where the murderers were said to be influenced by metal bands to kill...

or do you think people need to start realizing that "rockstars" are NOT role model material ..
and that these poeple and their wrong doings should not be blamed on musicians/rockstars
Amy winehouse is my role model, actually. I think I do just fine.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
You can't expect rock stars to behave themselves, and if you let a band influence the way you act, then you're an idiot.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I don't really have role models.

Maybe that,s why I'm such a bastard
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by Kensai
Amy winehouse is my role model, actually. I think I do just fine.

*takes advantage*

Not really, the closest thing to a role model I have is Frusciante but I don't want to be like him. Just inspired.
My hero is Cliff Richard and I'm an idiotic drunk, it doesn't really matter who is a hero to you.
I find it hard to believe people are that easily influenced by the actions of others.
Personally, the only way I'd be influenced by a 'rockstar' is musically..
FUNK IS THE WAY

you can be in my dreams if i can be in yours
Quote by wiggyisgreat
*takes advantage*

Not really, the closest thing to a role model I have is Frusciante but I don't want to be like him. Just inspired.

They told me it would be like this on the outside...
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i dont pay attention to how they act, just how they play.

my music is influenced by rockstars, not my personality.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
god damn are you a little pussy! this is really the dumbest question ever asked on UG! rockstars are rolemodels music vise. you decide on your lifestile youre self, othervise youre a stupid drone and do think that the musicians you idolize would think that too!
Well, the bad stuff they do serve as a warning, I think, cuz if you go do drugs cuz some dude overdosed on it, you're a fool.
rockstars can´t be a role model because of drugs and drinks. But i think they are role models to some people because of their bad ass style.
Quote by jimmypopali
god damn are you a little pussy! this is really the dumbest question ever asked on UG! rockstars are rolemodels music vise. you decide on your lifestile youre self, othervise youre a stupid drone and do think that the musicians you idolize would think that too!

Hey, she makes rubbish threads but it doesn't mean you can act like a complete knob. Shut your face.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
^ Rabid, I thought your subtitle said 'hung like a fox' for a bit there..
FUNK IS THE WAY

you can be in my dreams if i can be in yours
It depends how you look at it really. In terms of being successful through a lot of hard work, creativity and general skill then musicians are definitely to be looked up to, but I think using them as role models once they start abusing their power and wealth by spending it killing themselves (I'm looking at YOU, Pete Doherty) is quite dangerous.

Personally, James Dean Bradfield is a role model for me. Complete dedication to what he wanted to do way back when the Manics were nothing, practiced playing guitar non-stop, refused to give up despite being rejected by just about every record company going. But when fame took over, he didn't really change a bit, if anything mellowed as he got older. But then you look at someone like Pete Doherty, as I mentioned, throwing his talent away through getting wasted every day of the week. That's not good.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by trash_pixie
^ Rabid, I thought your subtitle said 'hung like a fox' for a bit there..

foxes are quit small.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
no musician has ever, or ever will, influenced my personality

However, i have been inspired by Tom Morello and Serj Tankian and Anti Flag and others for their political beliefs. I listen to them, and what they say makes a lot of sense to me. I don't know whether that makes them my role model, as i dont aim to emulate them, but i do respect them
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
As far as i'm concerned, rock stars are just normal people like us, except they have the money and time and respect to do the things we would all love to do.

They are role models in the way that they have learnt a skill / have talent good enough to make lots of money and live a lifestyle.

They are not role models in the way of taking drugs, getting wasted, ruining hotel rooms e.t.c.

Simply put, if you had the money to do the whole rock star thing, you'd probably do it.
But thats not because the rockstars do it.

Its because people want to do it.
Pretty much what everyone else is saying, 'Rockstars' influence me Musically, only twats let 'rockstars' influence them into drugs and ****.
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by jimmypopali

Lighten up Francis.

I think her question is aimed at the girls. Girls DO idolize rockstars and it affects their behavior.

That's not a dumb question. Think of the boys that idolize babe rockstars.
I like alotof my rockstars, and kinda see them as role modals performancewise, more as warnings when it comes to actions and personalities.
Quote by PanHead
Lighten up Francis.

I think her question is aimed at the girls. Girls DO idolize rockstars and it affects their behavior.

That's not a dumb question. Think of the boys that idolize babe rockstars.

Just cos I find girls playing guitar hot doesn't mean I want to be one!
Quote by Andron17

Quote by jimmypopali

jeez wtf is wrong with YOU!

i do not idolize anyone, lest of all , musicians. Please learn how to spell before attempting to attack me. Thank you
Quote by petrina_678

would you ever blame a fan's wrong doing on the band that "influenced" them, for example in the lastest suicide that was blamed on MCR or past murders where the murderers were said to be influenced by metal bands to kill...

well when i heard MCR i nearly commit suicide...... mainly because they suck so much & i couldnt stand them
Quote by petrina_678
jeez wtf is wrong with YOU!

i do not idolize anyone, lest of all , musicians. Please learn how to spell before attempting to attack me. Thank you

Quote by Andron17

Quote by TJ1991

Lest is a proper word, and that is its correct contextual use.

Learn some words.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
When you have a role model, it doesn't me you emulate them entirely, it could be aspects of them. Mine are John Frusciante and Bruce Dickinson.
Quote by rabidguitarist

Learn some words.

I like the letter A though. It's rather useful.
Quote by Andron17

Quote by TJ1991
I like the letter A though. It's rather useful.

Yeah, useful if you're trying to spell the word 'least'.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist

Learn some words.

thank you!
Quote by rabidguitarist
Yeah, useful if you're trying to spell the word 'least'.

Which would have also made sense.
Quote by Andron17

Quote by TJ1991
Which would have also made sense.

Then you should have challenged her choice of vocabulary instead of confronting her for incorrect spelling.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
You can't expect rock stars to behave themselves, and if you let a band influence the way you act, then you're an idiot.

+1
I don't blame my behaviour on the influence of others. I don't see how any rational person can claim that how they act is in some way someone else's fault. If I listen to a song it's because I like it, not because I'm in any way saying "I support the lifestyle this person leads" in the same way that when I buy a loaf of bread it's nothing to do with me if the farmer spends the money he gets for the flour on meth.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Then you should have challenged her choice of vocabulary instead of confronting her for incorrect spelling.

OK fair enough. I'm bored now.
Quote by Andron17

I think they do, because rock stars right music, and while there are some who might write music for the money or for some other reason, I think indirectly they're having a positive effect on someone's life with the music they're writing.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
*takes advantage*

Well I think that people like John Frusciante are the ultimate role models and the more rockstars like Frusciante, such as Omar Rodrigeuz Lopez, Max Bemis, Andre "3000" Bejamin, Flea and Anthony Kiedis, who write and play music and it's real and it is their life and they play it and it has such a profound effect on their audience. Because music is such a beautiful thing and if someone has devoted their life to it, they are a beautiful person

so yes I do believe rock stars are great role models

EDIT: also, I don't believe people are affected by their role models actions that much, what I'm saying is, for all the murders, and killing sprees and suicides. The people who associate with that music have already felt those certain feelings or thoughts expressed in the music, and so has the musician who wrote the music, so it gives the victim a bit of comfort, but not completely so he still feels as if he needs to commit that act
Last edited by johand77 at May 18, 2008,
I was having a discussion with my mum the other day, and she said "rockstars" try not to be bad influences as some kids/teens look up to them as role models..

So im asking the pit.. do any of you here look up to any musicians/rockstars and consider them role models?

yes. John Frusciante, Dave Mustaine, Zak Wylde; these chaps in particular for their lives outside of music aswell, apart from when John and Dave where in deep drug addictions

Do you think rockstars should consider their actions and how they can influence their fans?

yes, very much so, however should we really be trying to control their lives? or should we be making sure our children are no so susceptable to media, and understand that somethings are simple not acceptable?

No. it's not the bands fault if a fan took their material too far

or do you think people need to start realizing that "rockstars" are NOT role model material ..
and that these poeple and their wrong doings should not be blamed on musicians/rockstars

i think they are role model material. But yes, i do agree that peoples actions cannot be blamed on rockstars
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
They are role models for what they have achieved but not how they act.

Thats how I look at it.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Page 1 of 2