Hi everybody, this is my first post

I've been playing guitar for a little over a year now, and it's time to build my pedalboard!
I need a really nice overdrive pedal (I'm thinking Keeley Modded SD-1, read great things), and I need a Wah pedal, Delay and probably some sort of "Fuzz" box. (I'll also be using the BOSS AC-3 acoustic sim)

I play Blues, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, A little bit of heavier stuff, and a little bit of punk, running this through a Traynor tube amp.

Any suggestions for me? I'm building the board myself, so I'd also need a suggestion for a power supply(s).

Thanks all
What exactly is your budget?

Regardless, for power, use a Visual Sound 1 Spot.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I don't really have an overall budget, but obviously I don't wanna spend a fortune on these pedals..that'll just slow down the whole process of building up the board. I don't really wanna go over 100 dollars for each pedal (with the exception of the SD-1), but if necesary, I can.
Wah- I would highly recommend looking into RMC wahs. They are great, but pricey.

OD- I highly recommend the Skreddy Screwdriver, but the Keeley SD-1 is very nice.

For a great Digital Delay, check out the Nova Delay, as well as a eventide timefactor. For Analog keep an eye out for the Diamond Memory Lane, DMM (which I own), MXR carbon copy (cheaper option).

For a fuzz it really depends on what sound you want in particular. For crazy experimental, I would get a Red Witch Fuzz God or a Fuzz Factory. For straight up fuzz I would get a Little Big Muff or a Skreddy lunar module.

Now for power supplys. I would recommend a Voodoo Labs PP2+ over a one spot because , the problem with daisy chains though is that it often adds a lot of hiss, while an isolated power supply shouldn't give you hiss.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Vinyl_Master
Hi everybody, this is my first post

I've been playing guitar for a little over a year now, and it's time to build my pedalboard!
I need a really nice overdrive pedal (I'm thinking Keeley Modded SD-1, read great things), and I need a Wah pedal, Delay and probably some sort of "Fuzz" box. (I'll also be using the BOSS AC-3 acoustic sim)

I play Blues, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, A little bit of heavier stuff, and a little bit of punk, running this through a Traynor tube amp.

Any suggestions for me? I'm building the board myself, so I'd also need a suggestion for a power supply(s).

Thanks all

Yes, the overdrive you have is a good idea, but there are much better ones available. Cehck out Tunnel Vision music on Ebay, they have some great ones. A wah, you would be looking at the Dunlop 535Q or RMC Picture Wah for versatility. A delay, you should look defintiely analog, something like a MXR Carbon Delay, a Malekko Dark 600, A Diamond Memory Lane or T-Rex Replica if you have the cash. The Dr Scientist Sunny Day Delay is also great. For a fuzz box, were you looking for modern balls-to-the-wall or vintage cream? If balls to the wall, look at the Zvex Fuzz Factory, Morrison Audio Big Fluff, Dr Scientist Frazz Dazzler and my personal favourite, the Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun. If creamy, there are millions out there, I could give you some recommendations if you wanted them.
For a supply, definitely a Visual Sound 1 Spot.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
A word of warning: If you run your guitar through a bunch of cheaper pedals with bad bypasses, it's going to suck a lot of tone. In the end, you'll probably be happier with your tone if you take a little longer to build your pedal board with some higher quality pedals.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Wah- I would highly recommend looking into RMC wahs. They are great, but pricey.

OD- I highly recommend the Skreddy Screwdriver, but the Keeley SD-1 is very nice.

For a great Digital Delay, check out the Nova Delay, as well as a eventide timefactor. For Analog keep an eye out for the Diamond Memory Lane, DMM (which I own), MXR carbon copy (cheaper option).

For a fuzz it really depends on what sound you want in particular. For crazy experimental, I would get a Red Witch Fuzz God or a Fuzz Factory. For straight up fuzz I would get a Little Big Muff or a Skreddy lunar module.

Now for power supplys. I would recommend a Voodoo Labs PP2+ over a one spot because , the problem with daisy chains though is that it often adds a lot of hiss, while an isolated power supply shouldn't give you hiss.

TS, also listen to this guy.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by TNfootballfan62
A word of warning: If you run your guitar through a bunch of cheaper pedals with bad bypasses, it's going to suck a lot of tone. In the end, you'll probably be happier with your tone if you take a little longer to build your pedal board with some higher quality pedals.

I'm building a bypass box to cover that, think it would work?
Quote by Vinyl_Master
I'm building a bypass box to cover that, think it would work?

Yes, it would work, but it's liike patching a tyre and driving again. It is a temporary solution. you buy a bunch of cheap **** and then a couple of months, you'll hate it. Invest in decent stuff the first time and it'll be better for you in the long run.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Yes, it would work, but it's liike patching a tyre and driving again. It is a temporary solution. you buy a bunch of cheap **** and then a couple of months, you'll hate it. Invest in decent stuff the first time and it'll be better for you in the long run.

Do you think the Keeley would hold out? It seems like the best option for me, I'll spend more on the other pedals to get them to sound good if need be

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I'm dropping Keeley
Last edited by Vinyl_Master at May 18, 2008,
Thanks for all the help everyone, I love UG

But I've decided to knock out the Acoustic Sim and the fuzz box for now.
The sim doesn't look too great, I'm just gonna get an acoustic for my birthday, then I can use it on the road

And fuzz isn't TOTALLY necessary for my tone right now, maybe sometime down the road?

Quote by IncubusMan999
Yes, the overdrive you have is a good idea, but there are much better ones available. Cehck out Tunnel Vision music on Ebay, they have some great ones. A wah, you would be looking at the Dunlop 535Q or RMC Picture Wah for versatility. A delay, you should look defintiely analog, something like a MXR Carbon Delay, a Malekko Dark 600, A Diamond Memory Lane or T-Rex Replica if you have the cash. The Dr Scientist Sunny Day Delay is also great. For a fuzz box, were you looking for modern balls-to-the-wall or vintage cream? If balls to the wall, look at the Zvex Fuzz Factory, Morrison Audio Big Fluff, Dr Scientist Frazz Dazzler and my personal favourite, the Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun. If creamy, there are millions out there, I could give you some recommendations if you wanted them.
For a supply, definitely a Visual Sound 1 Spot.

Could you tell me which of the Delay and Wahs you recommended are True Bypass? That's another thing I decided to go for with all you guys helping me out

Other suggestions for True Bypass OD pedals are also welcome
And can anyone recommend a power supply that will eliminate most if not all, hum, that's not as expensive as the Voodoo Labs PP 2? I don't have that many pedals to power, and it seems pretty huge to me.
what about the Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n for an Overdrive? It's true bypass, and it looks pretty solid to me. Any experience with these?
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
What exactly is your budget?

Regardless, for power, use a Visual Sound 1 Spot.

Ah, I'd go with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 if budget is now option...eliminates more hum, thanks to the independent taps.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Ah, I'd go with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 if budget is now option...eliminates more hum, thanks to the independent taps.

Yeah, I figured it was better as well, I'll just have to save a lot for it

Now that's sorted.. can anyone offer the help on the overdrive pedal, I have everything else sorted, but I need more opinions on that good, tube sound overdrive
^Do you like tubescreamer voiced pedals? If so, look at the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. It's good with the right set up. I've noticed it can be a bit harsh at times, though, with a bright amp, to my ears.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

Check out a Barber Trifecta as well . . . I played one for awhile this week and completely loved it. Sludgy yet crystal clear.
TS, don't be discouraged about the keeley, it is a great overdrive, but there are better ones made by companies like Maxon, Xotic, Lovepedal, Barber, Fulltone, Diamond etc. All the delays I recommended are true bypass (not entirely 100% on the Carbon Copy). The RMC PIcture Wah is true byapss. Also, look into a Fulltone Clyde Wah or a Vox V848 if you want true bypass.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
TS, don't be discouraged about the keeley, it is a great overdrive, but there are better ones made by companies like Maxon, Xotic, Lovepedal, Barber, Fulltone, Diamond etc. All the delays I recommended are true bypass (not entirely 100% on the Carbon Copy). The RMC PIcture Wah is true byapss. Also, look into a Fulltone Clyde Wah or a Vox V848 if you want true bypass.

Okay, this is what I've narrowed it down to, I have everything but the overdrive sorted (which is the most important part of my tone )

Barber Direct Drive = $119.95
Keeley SD-1= $130.00
Fulltone OCD =$159
EHX English Muff'n Overdrive = $189.00
Skreddy Screwdriver = $210.00
Diamond J-Drive = $219
---------------------------------------------------------------
I need to kinda get a sense of the best three, taking into account both tone and price. What do you think? Poll?
ffs, stop being so anal, boss bypass is fine. only real cheap stuff like danelectro and behringer crap will colour your tone
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
ffs, stop being so anal, boss bypass is fine. only real cheap stuff like danelectro and behringer crap will colour your tone

Mmhmm. A buffered TU-2 at the beginning of a chain of true bypass pedals is actually a great idea, in that it will keep the singnal strong throught the whole chain, accross the whole board.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

Not generally it's not, the Boss pedals I have are lucky they make the sounds I need becuase if I found a replacement, they would be outta there. Especially the new ****, some of it is terrible. But stevo, let's just say no one buys Boss pedals for their outstanding bypass abilities, because yeah they do colour your tone. Besides, the Planet Waves is more accurate and a better alternative.

As for the buffer idea, you are actualy beter off getting something like a WOBO Buffer/Booster or MI Audio Boost and Buff to put at the end of the signal chain to compensate for signal loss anyway.

TS< that is lookin like a mighty fine list you have there, and yeah, those three overdrives are all brilliant and would be a great choice. In particular, I love the Diamond J-Drive but the Barber, Fulltone OCD and EHX overdrives are top notch. The English Muff'n is great but the tube thing is kinda gimmicky.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
TS< that is lookin like a mighty fine list you have there, and yeah, those three overdrives are all brilliant and would be a great choice. In particular, I love the Diamond J-Drive but the Barber, Fulltone OCD and EHX overdrives are top notch. The English Muff'n is great but the tube thing is kinda gimmicky.

Thank you for all the help!
I think the Diamond is a tad outta my price range, but I'm gonna go looking for someone who might have an English Muff'n, Barber Or OCD around to try them out, then I can make my choice

Thanks again for all the help