i dont know what fluttering is, could you explain it to me?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
i dont know what fluttering is, could you explain it to me?

OK, its like a wavy whammy bar effect. If you listen to John Petrucci's Under A Glass Moon solo, there's 3 instances of it in the end.
[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']i think its when you tap the floyd rose when you play?
im not sure though.. im kinda curious too
What I hear is that it's like you do something to the whammy bar. I think you hit it or something.
You have to have a trem bar that's tight enough to stay at whatever angle you put it at (as in, parallel with the strings or hanging down the side).

Swing it to an angle for the desired strength of the 'flutter' (parallel to the strings, towards the neck for maximum downwards flutter, parallel away from strings for maximum upwards flutter, and 90 degrees up or down for close to no flutter), play your note, and swing your palm so it just brushes the end of the arm. The springiness should make the note vibrato so fast it'll sound like a trill more than vibrato.

The key is to put enough pressure, but also be quick and light enough to get the recoil bouncing.
Hit the whammy bar real hard, "chop" it, so to say. I think it works better on a kahler tremolo though, licensed floyd roses arent that good for fluttering.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Hit the whammy bar real hard, "chop" it, so to say. I think it works better on a kahler tremolo though, licensed floyd roses arent that good for fluttering.

Petrucci does it in that vid with a non-double locking tremolo.
Quote by Aaron_Yeo
You have to have a trem bar that's tight enough to stay at whatever angle you put it at (as in, parallel with the strings or hanging down the side).

I have an OFR, but it still doesn't stay tight. Whenever I flutter it loosens and falls back down eventually. Any ideas on how to make it stay tight?
Quote by Aaron_Yeo

Swing it to an angle for the desired strength of the 'flutter' (parallel to the strings, towards the neck for maximum downwards flutter, parallel away from strings for maximum upwards flutter, and 90 degrees up or down for close to no flutter), play your note, and swing your palm so it just brushes the end of the arm. The springiness should make the note vibrato so fast it'll sound like a trill more than vibrato.

The key is to put enough pressure, but also be quick and light enough to get the recoil bouncing.

Thanks a ton, now I can "flutter"
Quote by fixationdarknes
I have an OFR, but it still doesn't stay tight. Whenever I flutter it loosens and falls back down eventually. Any ideas on how to make it stay tight?

I just gonna guess screw it in really really tight.
Take it out, wrap a little bit of tape around it, put it back in!

Works for my Jackson's LFR
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Take it out, wrap a little bit of tape around it, put it back in!

Works for my Jackson's LFR

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Quote by mzhang13
Use pliers!

But then I wouldn't even be able to move the whammy bar if it was that tight. Which it would then still come loose. It's not being able to tighten it enough. It's that it just comes loose easily.
I love this sound. But it's pretty annoying when it's an ibanez trem. Damn trem falls down every time I've done it once.
I've heard vai do it on more notes in a row, with an Ibanez trem. How does he do it?
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
the way im sble to do it is i put the trem bar so its facing the headstock. then i grab it with my middle finger and just a little bit with my ring and pinky. then i can pick and pull up and let go and also pick more then one note without moving my arm to much.
yeah like a few have said. take the bar off the guitar, and on the allan headed screw put some plumbers tape. iv also found that if you do the same to the part of the bar that goes into the assembly to make a tighter fit it will sound even better and have a more controlable whammy bar. i can do them perfectly on my jacksons licensed floyd.