I was thinking of getting one and changing Pickups and Strings, I play mostly metal/progressive/solos and I mean the strats's good enough for Yngwie
So how bad could it be? We're talking about the MIM teles/strats

Gimme your opinions on it
The other guitars im looking at are the
Gibson Faded SG
Ibanez RG 1520
Ibanez S470
PRS SE Custom
you should get an HSS or "fat" strat if you do a lot of lead. The bridge humbucker option is great for soloing. Switch out the stock pickup for a duncan JB or something similar.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by amd123
I was thinking of getting one and changing Pickups and Strings, I play mostly metal/progressive/solos and I mean the strats's good enough for Yngwie
So how bad could it be? We're talking about the MIM teles/strats

Gimme your opinions on it
The other guitars im looking at are the
Gibson Faded SG
Ibanez RG 1520
Ibanez S470
PRS SE Custom

Changing the pickups and STRINGS?

Ok...

+1 to the HSS Strat suggestion.

MIMs are fantastic value for what they are, but they're very different to the other guitars in your list, so the best way to find out what you want is to try everything out!
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
The S470 gets my vote, as long as you're hapy with a locking trem it's a highly capable guitar for the price. Kit it out with DiMarzios and you've got a great solo machine.
Do not buy the Faded SG. It's horrible - I'd rather play a Gibson-Baldwin SG than anything Faded by Gibson (they're that bad) If you're interested in SGs check out the Epiphone 1966 G400.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I recommend the S470 or a MIM Strat, although both will probably need a pickup change.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I see your logic regarding the Malmsteen Strat but his is notably different to a Standard- Namely the scalloped frets so the fact you can't really get a low action on a Strat doesn't matter and Dimarzio pickups.

I own a MIM Strat and love it, but I'd suggest you go for an Ibanez.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by roythereaper
I see your logic regarding the Malmsteen Strat but his is notably different to a Standard- Namely the scalloped frets so the fact you can't really get a low action on a Strat doesn't matter and Dimarzio pickups.

I own a MIM Strat and love it, but I'd suggest you go for an Ibanez.

What do you mean you can't get a low action on a strat? Mine has a nice low action
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
What do you mean you can't get a low action on a strat? Mine has a nice low action

Fenders have radiused fretboards (i.e. slightly curved) so it prevents getting an action which you could get on, say, an Ibanez. That's not to say you can't get it low-ish, but comparatively the action's a bit more restricted on Fenders.
EDIT: Not all Strats and Teles have radiused fretboards. Yours may be a model without this, but the MIM Strat does.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Last edited by roythereaper at May 18, 2008,
Quote by roythereaper
Fenders have radiused fretboards (i.e. slightly curved) so it prevents getting an action which you could get on, say, an Ibanez. That's not to say you can't get it low-ish, but comparatively the action's a bit more restricted on Fenders.
EDIT: Not all Strats and Teles have radiused fretboards. Yours may be a model without this, but the MIM Strat does.
I don't know of any electric other than the obvious exception of a classical guitar that doesn't have fretboard radius.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by amd123
i see how does the JS100 compare against the ibanez rg/s

repost?
Quote by roythereaper

Erm, having a radius to the fretboard doesn't really affect whether or not you can get a low action. Ibanez boards are still 'radiused' just to a slightly lesser extent.
Quote by MrCarrot
I don't know of any electric other than the obvious exception of a classical guitar that doesn't have fretboard radius.

Indeed, my point (albeit badly worded) was that the Fender radius restricts lowering the action beyond a certain point.
Call me Callum

That wasn't badly worded, it was just wrong.
omg thanks guys for hijacking my thread :P so what are your opinions on the Js100?
Crap, to be frank. What guitar and amp do you have currently? Where do you live in the world? What styles do you enjoy? Artists? What is your budget?
Quote by amd123
omg thanks guys for hijacking my thread :P so what are your opinions on the Js100?

Do not get the 100. I had one, and ended up selling it due to it being a complete waste of money. If you want a useable superstrat in the pricerange I'd recommend a Jackson DK2M.
yeah i was also looking at that currently my new list of guitars im looking at:
Jackson DK2M
PRS SE CUSTOM
IBANEZ S470

Amps:
Peavy Valveking 212
B-52 AT-112
elusive fallen angel amp!?

I play hard rock (grunge/stoner), metal/progressive (pinkfloyd/kingcrimson/tool/metallica)

and im gonna be playing tons of solos

my budget is 1500 for a guitar/amp/effects and a drumset
Quote by MrCarrot
Crap, to be frank. What guitar and amp do you have currently? Where do you live in the world? What styles do you enjoy? Artists? What is your budget?

Exactly!

And if you do get a Strat - don't get the Duncan JB.

Do this possibly - what i did (outlined in URL below):

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860534&highlight=SH-11+Custom

Or at least a high-output pup with more bottom end.
yeah it looks like im going with one of these
Jackson DK2M
PRS SE CUSTOM
IBANEZ S470

Amps:
Peavy Valveking 212
B-52 AT-112
elusive fallen angel amp!?
recommend some good tube combo amps

I play hard rock (grunge/stoner), metal/progressive (pinkfloyd/kingcrimson/tool/metallica)

and im gonna be playing tons of solos

my budget is 1500 for a guitar/amp/effects and a drumset

the drumset i picked is http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...hina?sku=491127