Page 1 of 2
My band is playing the up coming battle of the bands at our school, and we agreed we'd play a new original, and they chose this anti war song I wrote, because they liked the guitar part. Is it a good idea to play an anti war song at a school function? I heard it limits your audience, or should we just play it?
Just change the lyrics to a more unpretentious concept - like banging bitches or something.
Quote by messiah01
My band is playing the up coming battle of the bands at our school, and we agreed we'd play a new original, and they chose this anti war song I wrote, because they liked the guitar part. Is it a good idea to play an anti war song at a school function? I heard it limits your audience, or should we just play it?

Don't compromise your beliefs simply because they could limit your audience. Anyway, it probably won't make a difference.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
'anti war' **** off with ur fag music!!
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Or give us a sample of the lyrics, if it's cringe inducing well, I'd say no. If it's up to pup, and written well then it's fine.
Quote by lukeuh36azabc

Ignore the troll
MASSIVE TEXT
Did you write the song with your potential audience in mind? If the answer is yes, then if you changed the song, congratulations! You just became a "sell out" in high school!
"oh im a little bit country... "
"im a little bit rock n roll..."

anyways, go for it.
Quote by lukeuh36azabc

lol.

Also, play it.
Quote by ThePeacefrog
Or give us a sample of the lyrics, if it's cringe inducing well, I'd say no. If it's up to pup, and written well then it's fine.

yeah let us see the lyrics, that'll be the best way.

if its the kind of song where you can get fists pumping or people chanting, then definetely play it.

but let us see the lyrics.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by lukeuh36azabc

Anti-war is a lyrical theme, not a genre of music. That makes your statement retarded.
who care wat the administration thinks if u wanna play it the do it and if they dont like it, tell'em to f*** off
Quote by 12Jim34
Anti-war is a lyrical theme, not a genre of music. That makes your statement retarded.

Yeah, that's the thing that makes his post retarded. The only thing at all.

I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Give us a sample of the lyrics, if it's overt references and such I'd say no. Sooo show us the lyrics.
jsut play it, but make sure that the song is well constructed, i mean, no mindless hatred, and try not to swear, ull just sound stupid.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by HyperBoy2519
yeah let us see the lyrics, that'll be the best way.

if its the kind of song where you can get fists pumping or people chanting, then definetely play it.

but let us see the lyrics.

+1
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
No one will care unless its really really obvious, literal and in your face in its content.

There's a local band near me and they have a song called "The God Delusion" the chorus is literally " It's a Goooooood Delluuuuuusiooon" about 4 times.

I'm an atheist and it made me cringe.
Quote by ThePeacefrog
Give us a sample of the lyrics, if it's overt references and such I'd say no. Sooo show us the lyrics.

I agree. SHOW ME THE LYRICS!!
Quote by prsrulz91
who care wat the administration thinks if u wanna play it the do it and if they dont like it, tell'em to f*** off

I think you're missing the point. He's concerned about the audience becoming divided, based on their political opinions. IE: Pro-war audience members will feel alienated if his band plays an anti-war song. There are also people who find political lyrics to be inappropriate regardless of party or ideology affiliation. My response to the TS is: Regardless of how much you try to avoid offending people, there will be people who won't like your music, so you might as well play the songs you feel are strongest, if it ticks some people off, then oh well, at least you said what you had to say.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
dont try to play with some political message, your too young
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by lukeuh36azabc

+1,000,000
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by rage6945
dont try to play with some political message, your too young

Coming from the guy with the RATM avatar. Just because someone is young doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about in terms of politics. Go to grammar school.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
Quote by D-Fens
Coming from the guy with the RATM avatar. Just because someone is young doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about in terms of politics. Go to grammar school.

if i listened to ratm only because of their political views i probably wouldnt have made the comment. i said he's too young cuz i know from experience. i tryed to write about the same stuff when i was in middle school, and i knew other kids that did, and when i look back it sounds very immature and uneducated, and it'll sound that way no matter what because its coming from some kid who isnt affected by any of it
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by rage6945
if i listened to ratm only because of their political views i probably wouldnt have made the comment. i said he's too young cuz i know from experience. i tryed to write about the same stuff when i was in middle school, and i knew other kids that did, and when i look back it sounds very immature and uneducated, and it'll sound that way no matter what because its coming from some kid who isnt affected by any of it

Not really. Did it ever occur to you that he might be more intelligent than you or any of your friends and have more political insight?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by rizo299
No one will care unless its really really obvious, literal and in your face in its content.

There's a local band near me and they have a song called "The God Delusion" the chorus is literally " It's a Goooooood Delluuuuuusiooon" about 4 times.

I'm an atheist and it made me cringe.

):<

richard dawkins is life. he can get away with it, but not many other people can.
silly teenage garage bands shouldn't pretend to be able to take dawkins and make him better.

i'm pissing on the band who did that, not you, obviously.
it wouldn't make me cringe if they actually came up with that, but since it's also the title of a NY times bestseller, bah.

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
one of my uncles wrote a pro-war song... it went something like

What has war ever done for us?

it's only ended slavery
freed the jews
killed hussein
killed hitler

etc etc...

just throwin that out there i thought it was slightly humorous no matter your political alignment...
Quote by lucky69
):<

richard dawkins is life. he can get away with it, but not many other people can.
silly teenage garage bands shouldn't pretend to be able to take dawkins and make him better.

i'm pissing on the band who did that, not you, obviously.
it wouldn't make me cringe if they actually came up with that, but since it's also the title of a NY times bestseller, bah.

Obviously they took the idea of being inspired by a book far too literally.
Quote by prsrulz91

That is so hxc of you man....
Quote by 06CardsChamps
one of my uncles wrote a pro-war song... it went something like

What has war ever done for us?

it's only ended slavery
freed the jews
killed hussein
killed hitler

etc etc...

just throwin that out there i thought it was slightly humorous no matter your political alignment...

yeah, but the US are the bad guys in this one.
If you're well educated on the topic and it's a well written song then go for it.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by rage6945

According to your profile you're only 2 years older than he is so that doesn't give you much room to say he's too young.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Page 1 of 2