I've been noticing that my sustain isn't up to what I would like it to be. I'll give a list of my current gear, and it would be great if anyone could give some suggestions/point out where I'm losing sustain.

I'm using a Dean Razorback V with 11 gauge D'Addario strings to a Line 6 Spider III 120, with a monster cable.

Any suggestions please?
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
the amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I would appreciate it if everyone kept the pointless Spider bashing out of this thread. If there's a problem with it, give me a reason. Opinion means nothing.

not my best subject but asume u change the guitar strings, as older ones will have less sustain
Quote by Fatal Instinct
I would appreciate it if everyone kept the pointless Spider bashing out of this thread. If there's a problem with it, give me a reason. Opinion means nothing.

Unless it's mine, and in my opinion your amp sucks

seriously though, how low is the action on your guitar and what height are the pickups set at?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I change my strings pretty regularly, I'm pretty sure that's not the issue...

If that actually is the problem, then it is what it is. I respect you for not just simply bashing the Spider.

Timi...I don't know exact dimensions honestly. I haven't touched the pups, and I just set the action to a comfortable height.

I can't really see how a spider would affect sustain, unless the built in noise gate is interfering. Try turning the gate off and see if that helps.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
Timi...I don't know exact dimensions honestly. I haven't touched the pups, and I just set the action to a comfortable height.

Alright, I doubt it'd be the action unless it's stupidly low, likewise with the pickup, unless they're really close to or far away from the strings it shouldn't be them causing the problem.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Unless it's mine, and in my opinion your amp sucks

seriously though, how low is the action on your guitar and what height are the pickups set at?

What would you suggest for the best sustain?

How might I go about turning off the noise gate? I have little to no knowledge in this area.

From a quick search on google, to turn the gate off you need to hold the "tap" button down and turn your reverb knob to anywhere below 12'o clock.

My Music
Thanks a ton Timi, I'll try that.

sidvicious is right. I had a Spider and it had almost no sustain.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Okay, when I get the chance I'll play through some other amps and see what I can do.

Typically, solid state amps don't have the same amount of sustain as tube amps so just replacing your amp with another SS amp probably wouldn't do the trick. You would have to get a tube amp.

A much cheaper option would be to get a compressor pedal. Thats what Dimebag did when he was playing on SS amps and it worked for him.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 18, 2008,
Do you have any suggestions for a good compressor pedal?

I don't think anyone is bashing your spider, its just the truth. The amp is whats killing your sustain.

You take offense as if you were the builder of the amp
I'm not taking offense, Kevin. It just irritates me because everyone on this website bashes Spiders, and they don't give reasons. Sorry if I come off that way, I just prefer to deal with fact.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
Do you have any suggestions for a good compressor pedal?

Depends on how much you want to spend. My favorite compressor pedal is a guyatone TC-X but they haven't made them for a while and are hard to find. They are also noisy so probably not good for a metal player.

My second favorite compressor pedal is the sigma comp by www.cmatmods.com He has 2 knob, 3 knob and 4 knob versions. If all you want is sustain then the 2 knob version is enough, but if you want tone controll you need the 3 knob version. The sigma comp is the quietest compressor pedal I've ever heard which makes it great for heavy music and it doesn't really change your tone, it just makes it sound louder and have more sustain.

The cheapest resonable compressor I've seen is by boss, but I don't really like it. I've got one that was upgraded by cmatmods so that it sounds better than stock but I still don't like it. I'd be willing to sell it if you are interested.
Not taking any online orders.
I'll have to look into it a little more and try a few things, but I'll keep you in mind. Thanks.

if your desperate then fit a fernandes sustainer kit
take your neck p/up out, pop it in, away you go, infinate sustain

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Fatal Instinct
Okay, when I get the chance I'll play through some other amps and see what I can do.

just make sure you play through your guitar. not one at the shop. :]
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
It's probably the guitar. Every Dean guitar I've played has the strings laying on the frets. Ultra ultra low, Ibanez could never dream of action. Raise it up a hair and you'd be in the zone.

With a floyd rose, and basswood or alder body you're not going to have the most sustain anyway. A compression pedal doesn't really add sustain either, it' more or less takes away the dynamics of your playing to give it a smoother sound.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio