Hi,

I'm gonna buy a laptop, cos my computer is nearly dead.

Wondering what you guys think of this http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1720?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~202~may_insp_1720_n0572003~~

Look good?

x
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
thats alright... also it depends on what you wana use the laptop for..

gaming? chattin? or other poop..

Personally i just got a Toshiba Satellite yesterday.. n I love it..
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Bit of gaming, nothing extreme though, music, browsing, chatting, normal teenage stuff really. What's wrong with Vista?
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
nothing is wrong with vista, it's just a bit tighter on the security side, so there are some annoyances, which you can turn off. On a new PC, it should be fine. Just make sure it has ~2gb of ram and you're good. I've been running vista on my laptop for about 10 months now, no problems whatsoever
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
Some people don't like Vista, some people do.
My suggestion, if you're planning on getting that computer, take out Vista
Mainly because it's got a nVidia card in it, and nVidia STILL hasn't been able to get anything out for Vista, so theres a LOT of Vista crashes due to nVidia. I saw some pie chart that showed that nVidia was responsible for the most amount of Vista crashes, more than Microsoft.

Who knows if the chart is accurate, but still, everyones bitching at them to fix it.
all depends on what youre going to do with it. Yes you are getting a dual core processor, but its Intel's low end dual core processor (not even a core2duo I dont think). Not only that, 1) its a dell (this means that you are going to get a TON of crap software on it that will suck up system resources), 2) it runs windows vista (yes, I have used vista and I did not like it at all. I would take my XP computer any day over Vista).

And so you know, it comes with 2GB of RAM, but out of the box, Vista will use about 1.2GB of it. I work in computer sales/tech and I have never been able to tweak a Dell/HP/Compaq computer so that it uses anything less than 600MB (.6GB) just sitting idle with nothing else running in the background. So for 479 Pounds ($936ish) you could probably do better. If you dont really need it to be a laptop, Id say build your own desktop. Otherwise its all up to you. I personally own a Macbook Pro and absolutely love it. Its perfect for everything that I do (and yes, I CAN play games on it because I have windows on it). Allow me to put it this way: if you dont play games a ton (only once in a while) then get a mac. It can do everything that windows can do but better (in my opinion at least). Plus you get the added bonus of having a decent sound recording/editing program (Garageband) included for free.
i have an inspiron 1520 that i've been using since August. its basically almost the same computer with similar specs but 15 inches rather than 17. so far it's been great. my sister bought an HP which died 4 days after she got it... so if I were you i'd go with the dell. if you have a few hundred extra bucks get the complete care coverage... with that you can pretty much do anything to your computer, and they will fix or replace it no questions asked.
Ok, would there be any way of taking off vista and installing xp cheaply?
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Get a macbook pro.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Macbooks are too expensive for me
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by identityxcrysis
Some people don't like Vista, some people do.
My suggestion, if you're planning on getting that computer, take out Vista
Mainly because it's got a nVidia card in it, and nVidia STILL hasn't been able to get anything out for Vista, so theres a LOT of Vista crashes due to nVidia. I saw some pie chart that showed that nVidia was responsible for the most amount of Vista crashes, more than Microsoft.

Who knows if the chart is accurate, but still, everyones bitching at them to fix it.

Yeah, pie chart from a random site = WAYYYY accurate

I've had Vista for over a year and I have an Nvidia 8800gts, and I can't even tell you what the Vista bluescreen looks like cause I've never seen it.

Anyway, back on the laptop. My friend bought a Dell laptop about 6 months ago... The screen has died 3 times. Yes, 3 fucking times, in less than 6 months. Everybody that I know that bought a Dell ahve been really disapointed. I've had my HP laptop for nearly 3 years and the video card just blew out, baut it was a refurbished laptop.

I'd personally recommend an Hypersonic laptop: they look awesome and they are REALLY performant for the price (you'll pay a bit more though).
Quote by 12Jim34
It's got Vista.

that means nothing?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Gwynnell
Macbooks are too expensive for me

Is there a store near you? I highly recommend going and trying Vista out for yourself, since it is different for everyone.

Oh, and I definitely recommend XP, for a laptop.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
So people seem to be against dell, fair enough really, i've heard a lot of bad things too.

What do you guys recomend for an under £500 (about $1000) alternative
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by Gwynnell
So people seem to be against dell, fair enough really, i've heard a lot of bad things too.

Asus and HP laptops get great customer reviews.
Get a macbook pro.

I second that motion lol

Ok, would there be any way of taking off vista and installing xp cheaply?

The OEM version of XP Home is $89USD. HOWEVER theres a certain trick to getting it to work on a computer that was designed for vista. So if you know what youre doing, then its a piece of cake to do...if not, then I wouldnt risk it. Not to mention if you install XP you void your warranty through Dell. Seriously though, take a look at a mac. I have 3 computers: a Macbook Pro, a custom built XP desktop, and a linux computer and my mac tops them all in functionality. Theres so much that it can do that windows cant and can do it so much more efficiently. I use mine to record my band with Logic Express and it works flawlessly! Additionally you *never* have to worry about viruses and spyware, its hundred times more secure than Vista and XP. The main reason people dont switch is that they are "afraid" of having to learn something new which in this case, is not hard at all.
Quote by Fishyesque
Asus and HP laptops get great customer reviews.

Do you know of any particular models that are ment to be good?
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by Gwynnell

$1000 laptop is better than a £500 laptop, you'd be looking at £700 for a $1000 laptop
Got an HP DV series about similar price and spec(7 series NVIDIA card, shared graphics)) and can tell you it will work fine, very few crashes with it and Vista uses nowhere near 1.2GB RAM. At most at idle it uses 0.7-0.8 depending on antivirus and other things you have at startup.

Only grip I have with the Dell is the battery is relatively small but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
7 series NVIDIA card, shared graphics

Just an FYI...shared graphics means that it does NOT have any dedicated RAM to it. So say you get a laptop with a 7 series card with shared graphics and you have 2GB of RAM...that means that the graphics card will use a portion of that 2GB. Best suggestion is to find one that has a card with its own RAM so that it doesnt have to share.
Yep, Integrated graphics fail on so many levels.
Ok, thanks, i'm struggling to find the models your suggesting on English sites, i don't want to deal with the import fees and all that rubbish. Any english site recomendations?
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Perhaps try googling the highest rates online stores for buying computers over there?

But yeah, you're best bet is to find a decent site, filter it to just those manufacturers, and then sort by the best rating. See what other people say about the computers.

Quote by Fishyesque
Perhaps try googling the highest rates online stores for buying computers over there?

But yeah, you're best bet is to find a decent site, filter it to just those manufacturers, and then sort by the best rating. See what other people say about the computers.

Ok thanks for your help

x
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by Gwynnell
Ok, thanks, i'm struggling to find the models your suggesting on English sites, i don't want to deal with the import fees and all that rubbish. Any english site recomendations?

I've been looking at laptops in the 500 quid boundary and have settled on this

http://www.simplyhp.co.uk/product/id/415101/KW103EA

Couldn't find anything to rival it specwise and I've never been keen on Dell products. Its predecessor model got very good feedback on amazon as well.
Quote by Meatball200
I've been looking at laptops in the 500 quid boundary and have settled on this

http://www.simplyhp.co.uk/product/id/415101/KW103EA

Couldn't find anything to rival it specwise and I've never been keen on Dell products. Its predecessor model got very good feedback on amazon as well.

Any thoughts on this people?
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by Fishyesque
Yep, Integrated graphics fail on so many levels.

that they do and if it was possible i would switch to an 8 series. still does a good enough job for me.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
I'd give some feedback but im not allowed to use it for the next fortnight (its my birthday present)
I have an inspiron 1520...works flawlessly...games, recording..what not...only thing that pisses me off is the line 6 - audacity bsod !!! But i found a way to work around it so now i'm fine

Vista uses 600-700 mb along with all the antivirus and dell bloatware...

I don't think dell laptops are all that bad....i love mine ! *touchwood*
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)