Hi everyone. I have a Gibson Flying V and it is time to route out the body and drop a floyd rose in it. Ive been playing about 13 years, play a lot of styles, but I have not been playing this Gibson V for the last 3 years or so because the music I write uses a lot of floyd action. I put EMG 81's in it, plan to swap the neck out for a EMG60 soon. I simplified the knobs when I put the EMGs in it, just a master volume and a master tone.

Anyone have any solid advice? I have routed other guitars for additional pickups with success. Anyone experienced on routing for a floyd on any guitars?

I am going to buy a black floyd for it, and I do have a few old guitars to practice on, including a flat bodied epi lespaul that i can use.

by the way I will be routing out a hole on the side at the same time, for the jack so it will not be on the pickguard.

Heres the guitar:

id swap out the pickguard and and truss rod cover and put in a black one instead. a 12x16" costs 12.75 at warmoth. you can also use the rest of the pickguard blank to make a back cover for the trem cavity. i would go with matte .090". but thats me. either way its gonna look nice.
Will a Floyd Rose fit on that guitar? You are gonna have to cut a part of the pickguard off where the bridge is, as itll get in the way.
I dont know. I'd rather see a new gibson flying V routed rather than a '67. Routing n all might make the guitar lose its value.
yeah it should fit. i am ok with cutting the pickguard obviously... I will probably keep the white on it, I really dig Kirk Hammett's Black ESP V's... I will make a new pickguard when this stuff is done though, to rid the guitar of all the extra holes it will have. I dont use the tone knobs really and I wouldnt mind just burying the tone inside the cavity for a cleaner look. Just a master volume like most of my other guitars now.
Quote by qotsa1998
Will a Floyd Rose fit on that guitar? You are gonna have to cut a part of the pickguard off where the bridge is, as itll get in the way.

yes thank you for telling us what we already know
Quote by phlowtron23
I dont know. I'd rather see a new gibson flying V routed rather than a '67. Routing n all might make the guitar lose its value.

Sorry I should have been more clear... its a new 67 flying v replica... 2003 I think. I would have left it all stock probably if it was an original.
Quote by ShamiqSevenfold
yes thank you for telling us what we already know

i would think the pickguard is less of a concern than routing out a massive hole for a floyd.
you could fit a kahler tremolo in there i reckon, and it would mean routing out less of the body wood
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I would consider a Kahler if I have a good reason, I have no problems with Floyds, thats what I used in a few other guitars I have.

So anyone ever do it?
Get measurements of the floyd rose that you're looking at and compare them to the depth of your body.
If you need to route further than your body allows, then you're pretty much boned if you want a FR.

The reason people mention Kahlers is there are some that require not much routing.
Edit:
Also the with the fine tuners out the back might be a problem with the small amount of space available with a V
Everything may also need to be routed deeper to recess it to get correct action.

Good luck
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by 420BTBAM
yeah it should fit. i am ok with cutting the pickguard obviously... I will probably keep the white on it, I really dig Kirk Hammett's Black ESP V's... I will make a new pickguard when this stuff is done though, to rid the guitar of all the extra holes it will have. I dont use the tone knobs really and I wouldnt mind just burying the tone inside the cavity for a cleaner look. Just a master volume like most of my other guitars now.

When Hammet approached ESP about making those guitars, they told him the body was too thin to put a Floyd in it, so they made the body thicker when building it for him. So chances are, the body is too thin for a Floyd. How deep is it? Most FR equipped axes are around 1 3/4" thick.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
The V is 1.5" thick. one of my LTDs w/ a floyd is 1-5/8, and another LTD w/floyd I have is 1-3/4". If its a problem I dont mind going with a Kohler, or one of those Ibanez ones, I hear some of them are really good, and they put them in those tiny S series guitars.