I know and I am sorry another suggestion thread, but I have done my research I know what I want, I know my budget, I am ready to purchase.

What I want is a tube amp to practice at bedroom levels. I want an amp that can be fairly clean but with character, able to produce crunch, and with assistance hit metallica level gain (no need for death metal here). So it needs to be able to play some metal and I do not mind adding a pedal to help it get their.

My gear is a Epiphone Les Paul standard. Currently I also own a Digitech rp250 multieffects pedal, and a line 6 spider II.

My budget is $400. I want to keep the guitar, but will sell the spider II and maybe the rp250.

Here is what I was think, a blackheart 5w for the amp, a bad monkey OD pedal. In combination with the rp250 I could get all my effects like delay, reverb, chorus etc, a great clean tube sound, and with the bad monkey I could get some high level OD.

My questions:
1. Sound like a good idea in general?
2. Will I be able to achieve metal distortion (not over the top but some edgy sound leaning towards metallica and beyond AC/DC.
3. Should I ditch the rp250 and purchase a delay, reverb pedal?
4. Can I achieve bedroom level loudness with the blackheart and maintain a fairly clean tone, and if not is there something I could do to remedy that?

Things I dont need:
1. Something to play with a band
2. Death metal distortion
3. Sterile cleans

I hope this is comprehensive enough for you to help me without being overwhelming.

Thanks,
Jordan
Tube amp and bedroom practice just don't go together. Unless you're in a situation where you can crank the thing regularly there isn't a lot of point getting a valve amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Tube amp and bedroom practice just don't go together. Unless you're in a situation where you can crank the thing regularly there isn't a lot of point getting a valve amp.

5 watt valve amps are great for practice. The Blackheart and Bad Monkey is a great idea, however I would sell the RP250 and get individual pedals as the sound quality will be better.
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
5 watt valve amps are great for practice. The Blackheart and Bad Monkey is a great idea, however I would sell the RP250 and get individual pedals as the sound quality will be better.

Ever owned a 5 watter?

They're far too loud for bedroom practice. And if you're on about using the BM for the OD, then that completely defeats the point of having the valve amp in the first place.

My Music
Hey hendrix,

The blackheart is only 5watts and can switch into 3watt mode, I could get the volume pretty high wouldn't you think? Plus my neighbors are pretty cool. but 3 watt mode would let me crank it right?

Hey George,

I pretty sure you are right about the digitech 250. Do you have some good suggestions that aren't to expensive for delay, reverb, chorus. They are my favorite effects, especially delay.
Well, I had an epi valve jr, which was a 5 watter, and with the volume up high enough for the power tube to come into the equation and get that nice valvey sound, it was way too high to be considered "bedroom". And I've heard that the 3 watt mode on the Blackheart has more headroom than the 5 watt mode, so you'd still need it to be fairly loud to get it to overdrive.

My Music
Here is what you want. You want a Crate V8. 5 watt tube amp with a master volume so you don't need to crank it, but you can if you want. The master volume will bive you preamp gain which is good for Metallica type stuff. Not enough gain for Metallica without a pedal so the BM would be a good boost. You might want an EQ so you have more than just a tone knob on the amp.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Well, I had an epi valve jr, which was a 5 watter, and with the volume up high enough for the power tube to come into the equation and get that nice valvey sound, it was way too high to be considered "bedroom". And I've heard that the 3 watt mode on the Blackheart has more headroom than the 5 watt mode, so you'd still need it to be fairly loud to get it to overdrive.

lol wut?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I really like the natural sound of the blackheart but I cant have the volume absolutely screaming, I can do loud though. I live in an apartment. I can get my solid state 30w spider II up to full channel volume and about 1/3-1/2 master.

Wouldn't the blackheart 3w mode have less headroom? But is it the consensus that 3w mode would still be to much for my apartment?
I know it sounds mental, but a few people (R_H_C_P is the only name I can remember) have said that. I'd take RHCP's word for it, he knows what he's talking about.

EDIT: I'm on about the 3 watt mode having more headroom.

My Music
Alright I thought about the valveking too with the master volume. Can that be pushed to a metal sound with the bad monkey or would I need something like the metal muff?
The conversation died, cmon guys I need some help! I cant deal with this crappy spider II any more.
The Valveking would have enough gain, but IMO sounds lifeless. the cleans are pretty bad so you definitely don't want that. Crate V series or used Peavey Classic is probably your best bet. Unless you can snag a Traynor YCV40 for that price and get a BM, then that would be awesome.
Quote by timi_hendrix

Most of the time I use my amp at 1 or so and it's 85W, I crank it maybe once a month (up to maybe 5 ), it sounds much better than a SS amp at low volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jordanshadow
The blackheart is only 5watts and can switch into 3watt mode, I could get the volume pretty high wouldn't you think? Plus my neighbors are pretty cool. but 3 watt mode would let me crank it right?

You should be ok. Just bear in mind that it's not an amp you can play after the baby goes to bed, but during the day with reasonable neighbors it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote by jordanshadow
I pretty sure you are right about the digitech 250. Do you have some good suggestions that aren't to expensive for delay, reverb, chorus. They are my favorite effects, especially delay.

What's "not too expensive?"

I'd suggest a Visual Sound H2O. It's a chorus and echo pedal in one stomp box. Very nice. Sells for under $200 US. The new MXR Carbon Copy is getting great reviews as an alternative to the EHX Deluxe Memory Man (my favorite) for about $200, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by jordanshadow
What do you think of the fender champion 5w or 15w amps?

The Champion 600 is a very nice practice/bedroom amp, but you're not going to get any believable Metallica out of it. You're better off with the Blackheart, IMHO.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
the blackheart is a pretty nice amp, and while it does get decently loud, you wont be bothering too many people with it as long as you dont crank it at night. i turn mine up a good bit (maybe to 7/10) and while loud, its not earth shattering. and yes, the 3w mode does have more clean headroom than the 5w mode. seems counter-intuitive at first, but it is true. i dont even use my pedals much with it most of the time, just turn the sucker up to 7 and use my guitar's volume knob to go from clean to dirty.
man i own the blackheart and a bad monkey and it sounds amazing at bedroom levels...i find that to loud it gets a bit muddy tho...great with a good delay or somthing to
Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. Currently I am demoing the blackheart and the fender champion 15w. The fender champ is actually really good, not metallica like but nice distortion none the less, extremely versatile. I cant demo the blackheart yet, but my buddy has one and he told me that he would lend it to me in a day or so.
i have to agree 5 watts is actually quite loud, but i do beleive it is tolorable. but if your thinking about even smaller amps to get a cranked tone at actual almost quite levels then

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM08/Content/BlackheartEngineering/PR/Killer-Ant-Guitar-Amp-.html

http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

i believe both weigh in at less than a watt a piece, bot also sounded pretty fierce with a boost pedal or an overdrive pedal. from what i can tell they get about as loud as a person yelling. haven't really seen anyplace to buy the killer ant yet, but it should be distributed fairly soon hopefully.
I am still messing around with the fender champion 15w. I am pretty satisfied with it but I don't nessecarily like using a A/B class tube amp. I am too new at guitar to really tell what kind of sound I want yet, and have not been able to play very many types of amplifiers, so hopefully you can understand why I am being very cautious.

I bought a bad amp already, I bought a bad pedal already. So far the only thing I have done right is the guitar.

So If I do decide upon the fender champ will i be dissapointed in the future, will my abilities be limited by the solid state distortion into the tubes? Will I regret this purchase in a year? Or is it a good compromise to get good distortion at bedroom levels, while working with a tube amp?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Ever owned a 5 watter?

They're far too loud for bedroom practice. And if you're on about using the BM for the OD, then that completely defeats the point of having the valve amp in the first place.

What are you smoking?

An overdrive DRIVES a TUBE amp's TUBES further for gain, if you use an OVERDRIVE on an SS it sounds like fail, I've tried it.(I think you're mistaking distortion pedals for OD pedals)

I don't get how using an OD with a tube amp isn't good? enlighten me.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
What are you smoking?

An overdrive DRIVES a TUBE amp's TUBES further for gain, if you use an OVERDRIVE on an SS it sounds like fail, I've tried it.(I think you're mistaking distortion pedals for OD pedals)

I don't get how using an OD with a tube amp isn't good? enlighten me.

Because the TS is talking about using an OD to simulate overdrive at lower volumes, rather than pushing the power amp harder. Doesn't make it bad, but it's not getting the most out of the amp that way.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.