To make it short, I really, really want an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, but it's out of my price range as it is. However, if I sold one of my guitars that I have now, that would greatly help me in getting the money I need. I don't want to sell my Epiphone SG because I just put new Bareknuckle pickups in it, which leaves me with my Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer. It's a great guitar, I love it, but the Les Paul Black Beauty looks fantastic as well.

Has anyone here played both, or either, who would have a suggestion as to which guitar is better? I know it's mostly subjective, what the individual wants, but in this early stage I want to hear what other people think. If you were faced with this choice yourself, what would you personally do?
i would sell the sg and the explorer and get a higher end guitar. but thats just my opinion.
Epiphone sucks dude.. save up for a real gibson or another brand that isn't a cheap knock off of another brand
Quote by GNRjungle87
i would sell the sg and the explorer and get a higher end guitar. but thats just my opinion.

I considered that, but I just put several hundred dollars into improving my SG, plus it was my first guitar, so I don't think I could bring myself to part with it.
If you sold both you'd probably be able to get an SG standard, or an Epiphone Elitist... so... your choice.
take the pups out of the sg, sell both, buy the best guitar you can get, use or don't use the pups, if your not gonna sell them for more money for the new axe.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by theocao
Epiphone sucks dude.. save up for a real gibson or another brand that isn't a cheap knock off of another brand

Gibson is out of my price range, and I quite like Epiphone. Of course I'd love to go with Gibson, but Epiphones aren't cheap by any means, other than price. I've had my Epiphone SG for years and years, and it's taken quite a lot and it still plays wonderfully.
Quote by Taniel_24
If you sold both you'd probably be able to get an SG standard, or an Epiphone Elitist... so... your choice.

I forgot to mention that the SG is an Elitist.
+1 to the ocao

get a real brand of guitars
and why the **** would you pay hundreds of dollars to upgrade your gibson sg?
that just just like spraying cologne on a piece of ****, it will smell nice but that doesnt change the fact that its still a piece of ****
Quote by Reeven

huh :S there isn't even is an SG in the Elitist
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Reeven
Gibson is out of my price range, and I quite like Epiphone. Of course I'd love to go with Gibson, but Epiphones aren't cheap by any means, other than price. I've had my Epiphone SG for years and years, and it's taken quite a lot and it still plays wonderfully.

if you like sg's .. you can get a gibson sg for the same price as a epiphone black beauty
Quote by theocao

I'd honestly take an Epiphone over a Gibson atm until Gibson get there act together on the Quality Control.

+1 on the Epiphone Elitist.
Very pricey but the quality is beyond that of any Gibson that's made today other than the Custom Shop models.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by theocao

epiphones arent half bad actually
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Dude, I know some who traded his LP for a Black Beauty (both Epi), and he ended up taking out the middle pickup.
There is not much sound flexibility with the third pickup..its always on.
Quote by theocao
Epiphone are as 'real' as Gibson are. Before Gibson bought them, Epiphone were beating Gibson in acoustic and archtop sales, and to this day the masterbuilt vintage Epiphone archtops command higher price tags than the Gibson equivalents. Now, Epiphone is the only brand licensed to use the exact Gibson styling, as they are owned by Gibson. Epiphone are as 'real' as Gibson, Kramer, Squier, G&L... etc.

Anyway.

Don't bother with the Black Beauty. It does look nice sure, but all it is is a normal black LP Custom with the middle pickup added, and I think the middle pickup takes away more than it adds. Middle pickups on LPs mean you can only have one pickup active at a time (no neck/bridge, bridge/middle or neck/middle combos like you get on 3-pickup Stratocasters), you get less sustain (less wood in the body and a stronger magnetic pull on the strings), and on a personal note, I find middle pickups physically get in the way of my playing.

I'd say, look at getting the regular black Custom, which will be cheaper than the BB.

And if you'd still have to sell one of your guitars to get that, just think if it will actually improve on what you have now. The Explorer you have is basically the same quality as the BB/Custom are, so if you sold that for the LP then all you'd really be doing is swapping one body shape for the other. And what model is your SG? If it's a G-310 or SG Special then the BB/Custom wil be a step-up quality wise, so it might be a good idea to sell that one. If on the other hand your SG is the G-400 (or better), then like the Explorer, there would just be no point in selling it for the LP since you wouldn't actually be getting a step up in quality and the tonal difference would be minimal, so you'd just be getting a different body shape. And I don't think that's worth it.

If it was me personally, I'd stick with what I had.

EDIT:

Quote by Farether

They used to make one.

Quote by Reeven

Well then jeez, there's no point selling that at all. An Elitist SG will be much better than the normal Epiphone LPs.

Once you've got an Elitist you basically might as well not bother getting another guitar again until you start hitting the range of Fender/Gibson Custom Shop models, higher-end ESP and PRS models, etc. Epi Elitists are some of the best guitars around. Why would you downgrade?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at May 18, 2008,
Quote by Farether

Someone's a good faker then, because it has 'ELITIST' right on it.
Quote by Farether

There is, it's a Epiphone Elitist '61 Standard in Cherry or Ebony.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by MrFlibble
Well then jeez, there's no point selling that at all. An Elitist SG will be much better than the normal Epiphone LPs.

Once you've got an Elitist you basically might as well not bother getting another guitar again until you start hitting the range of Fender/Gibson Custom Shop models, higher-end ESP and PRS models, etc. Epi Elitists are some of the best guitars around. Why would you downgrade?

My problem with the SG, and the reason I want a heavier guitar, is that the SG is so light I can't get any kind of sustain out of it. Even after having it professionally set up, new pickups, get fretwork done, the whole nine yards, it still can't really get any sustain.
Quote by Reeven
Someone's a good faker then, because it has 'ELITIST' right on it.

sorry, didn't knew they used to make an elitist SG
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Reeven
My problem with the SG, and the reason I want a heavier guitar, is that the SG is so light I can't get any kind of sustain out of it. Even after having it professionally set up, new pickups, get fretwork done, the whole nine yards, it still can't really get any sustain.
That's really bizarre. I played on just a regular Epi G-400 about a week ago and it's sustain easily matched my LPs, about a little over ten seconds or so I would estimate. Find it hard to believe the Elitist version would be worse.

Well if your Elitist really is that bad after all the work being done on it, then maybe it would be a good idea to sell it. I think you should go to a store and try out a few Epi Black Beauty/Customs though first for yourself before you do anything drastic.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
That's really bizarre. I played on just a regular Epi G-400 about a week ago and it's sustain easily matched my LPs, about a little over ten seconds or so I would estimate. Find it hard to believe the Elitist version would be worse.

Well if your Elitist really is that bad after all the work being done on it, then maybe it would be a good idea to sell it. I think you should go to a store and try out a few Epi Black Beauty/Customs though first for yourself before you do anything drastic.

After I put the pickups and I was still kind of dissatisfied with my tone and particularly my sustain, my guitar teacher pointed out that because my guitar is so light (the first reaction from anyone who picks it up is 'wow, it's so light!'), it won't get much sustain to it. The rest of it sounds pretty good, though. And I'm doing some looking around, and I think it would make more sense to go for the Epi Elitist LP as opposed to the BB.
well actually I think gibsons are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated and people only by them due to the guitar hero games having them but I'd prefer buying a fender strat or a Dean guitar or gibson or epiphone.
Quote by theocao
well actually I think gibsons are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated and people only by them due to the guitar hero games having them but I'd prefer buying a fender strat or a Dean guitar or gibson or epiphone.

I think people were buying gibsons wayyy before guitar hero came out..
did you ever think to change your amp/pedal setup?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by JoshRocco
I think people were buying gibsons wayyy before guitar hero came out..

haha guitar hero... i went for gibson cause they hold their value pretty good, so if anything in the future that has to do with me selling one of my gibson, i wont lose 2 much money. if im lucky i might get more thn what i paid for.
Odd.. I've played a SG Elite and they sustain just fine, not quite as much as a good LP perhaps but still good. Just use a good OD and Compresser and you'll get more sustain than you need out of it.
Quote by Ghost_bass
did you ever think to change your amp/pedal setup?

I did, and it helped a bit, but not as much as I think it should have.

Quote by Myrdinn
Odd.. I've played a SG Elite and they sustain just fine, not quite as much as a good LP perhaps but still good. Just use a good OD and Compresser and you'll get more sustain than you need out of it.

I know Compressor, but what is an OD?
Quote by Reeven

ah that's different. stick with the japanese-built one.

also look into other japanese copies, tokai etc., many of those are (possibly) made in the same factory as epi elitists.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its worth pointing out that Elitist Epiphones are better quality wise than Gibsons today because of Gibson's terrible quality control over recent years.
Quote by Farether

Yes you can. They just discontinued it.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by Twisted Magnum
Its worth pointing out that Elitist Epiphones are better quality wise than Gibsons today because of Gibson's terrible quality control over recent years.

This.
Gibson's quality has gone completely downhill.
They've always been overrated/overpriced if you ask me.
Signatures are overrated.
id sell everything you have and buy an Elitist LP

the SGs are nice (i use to own a Gibson SG Standard) but theyre no LP
I'm hoping to get an Elitist Les Paul Standard myself in the next 2-3 years. I've tried them out at Sam Ash before and compared them to Gibsons and the difference is astounding. For the first time, a Gibson Les Paul actually sounded muddier than an Epiphone. That seals the deal right there.

Elitist Les Paul Standard- $1100 USD
Gibson Les Paul Standard- $2500 USD

The only good Gibsons now are the Custom Shops, which are even MORE ridiculously priced than normal Les Pauls.
Quote by rancidryan
epiphones arent half bad actually

Epiphones are nice, I support Epi's 100%. They make great guitars.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG