Page 1 of 2
Hi, I am from Canada. Our high schools seem like little pussy schools compared to major ones in The United States. We don't really have the stereotypical football jocks who drive Dodge Vipers a la The Fast and The Furious, or hot blond girls wearing lettermen jackets. In fact, we don't have any of it. I was just wondering, to those in the US, are your major high schools in places like California etc. really like that? Do they follow the stereotypes that movies and TV portray? Also, how much people attend those school? My guess is 10 000 people. Are their security checks at each school and security guards? Why are the schools so bad? We don't have any of aforementioned stuff. Just wondering, Thanks.
Be cool.
I go to a school with about 4,500 students. The county I live in is in the top 20 wealthiest US county's. Mainly because 2 cities in the county are so effing rich it's not even funny. I live in the city next door and I'm epically poor compared to these families. No, t hers no security gates or anything. Yes...sterotypes suck...I don't like preps (chavs), jocks, or emo's...but there are so many groups you really can't sterotype them. No...movies overexaggerate everything. We're in the top 175 schools in the US, so I can't imagine a normal non-charter school doing security checks or anything.

And before comments of flame pour in, I wish I lived in a poorer area, the sterotypes I get are outrageous.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
My high school had 1500 kids my graduating year (all the grades combined.)

Nobody drove anything better than a BMW, and that was only one person.

No security besides a patrolling officer/cameras.

It wasn't that bad, at least in the advanced classes.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by thedude051
Hi, I am from Canada. Our high schools seem like little pussy schools compared to major ones in The United States. We don't really have the stereotypical football jocks who drive Dodge Vipers a la The Fast and The Furious, or hot blond girls wearing lettermen jackets. In fact, we don't have any of it. I was just wondering, to those in the US, are your major high schools in places like California etc. really like that? Do they follow the stereotypes that movies and TV portray? Also, how much people attend those school? My guess is 10 000 people. Are their security checks at each school and security guards? Why are the schools so bad? We don't have any of aforementioned stuff. Just wondering, Thanks.

I'm in New York, and there are some stereotypical people in my high-school.

Mind you, most of those jacket-wearing blonds and Viper-driving Jocks are just trying to be stereotypical, because they're too stupid to be their own person. They base how they act off of what they see on T.V.

I don't like them much...
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
searchbar. there are already a few topics like this

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Depends where you are. If you live in a big city, then yes, it can be like that. But most schools are more like 3,000 kids.
we have alot security at my school. but that's only because we have alot of fights and there are a few gang members that go to my school. other than that my school is pretty normal.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
A Viper? HA! my school is 70% hispanic, the slightest hint of a Viper and it will get stolen, and that's not a stereotype because my school is in a pretty ****ty neighborhood composed of lower class people.
no, movies about american highschools are about as true as movies about canada. you know, moose all over the place, dumbass canadians, mounties everywhere. dont believe anything you see about American highschools in the movies.
chavs and preps are very different, almost opposite
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
No, they are not true...that's why they are stereotypes.

But you will see cases where it is true now and then.
The.
To add to TS's question, do you guys really have parties like in the American Pie films and such?!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Well, let's put it this way:

When I see movies that show the stereotypical image like what you're talking about, I'm always thinking, "Who the hell talks and dress like this?"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Eric 666
A Viper? HA! my school is 70% hispanic, the slightest hint of a Viper and it will get stolen, and that's not a stereotype because my school is in a pretty ****ty neighborhood composed of lower class people.

Dude, I'm hispanic, and your comment just offended me, even if you say it is not a stereotype. In my school you don't realize about those things, it is so very good composed (in academic and physical buildings stuff) that you don't even realize what other people does. I'm about getting into my last year and I still get to know new people that i had never in my life seen and has years in the same school. But maybe thats just me. Oh, and the school population is about 800-900 students.
I'm in southern orange county and yes there are stereotypes at my school plenty of bmws mercedes and lexus' in the parking lot but no security checks bcuz 90% of my school are spoiled white littles bitches
Quote by zombie_monster
No

In fact, in my school black people wear NASCAR jackets

'haha.haha
you made my day!
haha
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

I live in Canada too, and my school is mostly asian (including me). My school's pretty boring, full of nerds, wiggers, and hongers (if you don't know what hongers are, they're pretty much the asian equivalent of Chavs. They talk cantonese loudly, they stick in big groups, they don't drink or smoke, and dwell in arcades, food courts, play and listen to J-Pop/ Hip hop music found in DDR/ Incredibly cheesy love songs, wear bapes, and have some of the worst haircuts possible. You know those japanese bands that have men looking like women? Yeah, that's it, pretty much).

There's a couple gangs in my school (There's one called "BC", one called "TC", and this graffiti gang thing called "IZT"), but they're pretty subtle, and the worst they do is probably deal drugs (I heard of some small gang fights, though).

I'm pretty whitewashed, so I don't enjoy the hongers at all, and I usually hang out with the white kids or the non-honger asians in my grade (and my other friend who's like, one of the only 4 black kid in the entire school). I'm pretty much known as the crazy asian metalhead with my buddies :P:
Last edited by piratemetalhead at May 18, 2008,
My grade has (the graduating class) has about 800 kids in it. Total school has a bit more than 3,000. Used to be bigger but they opened up other schools to relieve the pressure.

There are plenty of "groups" in my school... preps (waterpolo/volleyball teams), weirdass underclassmen who think they know everything about metal/rock music and think they're infinitely more important than they actually are, ROTC kids, etc etc. The difference between my school and the stereotypes that you are talking about is that the different factions very easily comingle; they aren't as mutually exclusive and problematic as you'd think, up there in Canadia land.

It's also VERY interracial, with little to no racism. The black/hispanic/white populations are pretty much equal in amount. They're just spread out differently.

Don't believe everything you hear and see on television and in the movies.

EDIT: BTW I'm in South Florida. We have cops on campus and security guards, but no "security checks".
My God, it's full of stars!
I live in a beach city in Southern California. There are about 3,000 students here. There are no policemen or security checks, and not many issues. We also have little emphasis on social groups. I guess they exist in some form, but there's basically one enormous group of "normal" people with various characteristics, with some other small gropus on the side. Basically everyone is cool to each other, there are only a few assholes here.
Quote by Castlebravo
I live in a beach city in Southern California. There are about 3,000 students here. There are no policemen or security checks, and not many issues. We also have little emphasis on social groups. Basically everyone is cool to each other, there are only a few assholes here.

what school CDM, Newport, Dana?
I'm from tesoro
Nope, maybe in a small town centered around football, but not here in NJ with a 3,000 person high school. It's nothing like you see in movies at my school. We have our social groups, but basically everyone's level and everyone gets along, with a few exceptions.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at May 18, 2008,
My school isn't anything like the movies. Most groups all get along, we hang out with each other. Sure there are the few groups of popular kids that will kind of reject others, but other than that it's great. Plus our school is full of hot girls!
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Hahaha, my school is actually actually 2 highschools merged into one. There were 2 high schools which were close to each other, so they broke down and sold the property of one of 'em, built a small expansion the other one, and crammed the population of 2 high schools into there.
Quote by Bonesaw
what school CDM, Newport, Dana?
I'm from tesoro

heh I go to San Clemente, same district
My school is small. Only 50 seniors in the class, and maybe 300 people (probably less) in the whole high school. We have the second to lowest grades in the county and our school has emo kids, jocks, the so called gangs, and that stuff. The girls at my school usually only go out with you if you're popular, and guitar doesn't do anything to get you popular. Only sports. It's pretty boring and nothing ever happens. Most kids don't listen to metal. It's all rap, emo, or some other crap. Or if they listen to metal, it's nu metal.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by fortysix&2
To add to TS's question, do you guys really have parties like in the American Pie films and such?!

American Pie was shot in Canada.
Wow these responses are all surprising, all your schools are like mine, where everyone pretty much gets along. I thought from all the "I hate everyone at my school and they are all preps who should die" threads we get here that they would be different.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
American Pie was shot in Canada.

Same difference to me, eh?
Does anyone have parties like that though?
In seriousness, I doubt students here could fund such outrageous events.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
My high school is full of rich, self-centered dicks, most of which are on the football team or get paid for sex. There is a team of security guards, all but one of which are completely ignored. The one that isn't is a large, testosterone filled black "woman" with facial hair and the belly of Jabba the Hut. She chases kids around in a golf cart with a baseball bat. The white people act black, the black people act black, the Asian people act black, and the Hispanic people act Hispanic, which is just a few shades off from black. Everybody claims that it's the worst school in the world, despite it having better teachers and being much cleaner and "safer" than any other school we know of.

Oh, and one of the teachers used to be a princess in Nigeria, but got thrown out of the country when she ran over a sacred goat.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by fortysix&2
Same difference to me, eh?
Does anyone have parties like that though?
In seriousness, I doubt students here could fund such outrageous events.

Yes. Maybe not quite as outrageous as in the teen movies, or at least parties that outrageous arent as common, but there are parties like that.

Quote by mafropetee
My high school is full of rich, self-centered dicks, most of which are on the football team or get paid for sex. There is a team of security guards, all but one of which are completely ignored. The one that isn't is a large, testosterone filled black "woman" with facial hair and the belly of Jabba the Hut. She chases kids around in a golf cart with a baseball bat. The white people act black, the black people act black, the Asian people act black, and the Hispanic people act Hispanic, which is just a few shades off from black. Everybody claims that it's the worst school in the world, despite it having better teachers and being much cleaner and "safer" than any other school we know of.

Oh, and one of the teachers used to be a princess in Nigeria, but got thrown out of the country when she ran over a sacred goat.

That is the funniest rant I have read in a long time. The last sentence killed me.
Quote by RFer
Dude, I'm hispanic, and your comment just offended me, even if you say it is not a stereotype. In my school you don't realize about those things, it is so very good composed (in academic and physical buildings stuff) that you don't even realize what other people does. I'm about getting into my last year and I still get to know new people that i had never in my life seen and has years in the same school. But maybe thats just me. Oh, and the school population is about 800-900 students.

Dude, i'm Cuban believe me, you have no idea how bad it is at my school, my school has 1900 students in a building that was built for 2200, so its not only crowded, but its full of gang members, druggies, and in short...people that shouldn't be there, were a D school right now. Stuff gets stolen there every single day, and its the enviroment that's around us...believe me, I know my own ethnicity, the easy way out is usually the general consensus.
I live in Canada two and my school isn't far off from the stereotypical American ones, just replace the football players with hockey players but most of the rich kids are the Itilians whose fathers own construction companies and they all drive high-class SUVs and play soccer.

We're about 2000 people in the school, we're the biggest english school is quebec and were also voted the best school in the province and one ofthe top in the country, take that frenchies
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by Eric 666
Dude, i'm Cuban believe me, you have no idea how bad it is at my school, my school has 1900 students in a building that was built for 2200, so its not only crowded, but its full of gang members, druggies, and in short...people that shouldn't be there, were a D school right now. Stuff gets stolen there every single day, and its the enviroment that's around us...believe me, I know my own ethnicity, the easy way out is usually the general consensus.

Wouldn't it be really empty if it's got 1900 members and it's built for 2200 ?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by dingmydong
I live in Canada two and my school isn't far off from the stereotypical American ones, just replace the football players with hockey players but most of the rich kids are the Itilians whose fathers own construction companies and they all drive high-class SUVs and play soccer.

We're about 2000 people in the school, we're the biggest english school is quebec and were also voted the best school in the province and one ofthe top in the country, take that frenchies

They built another Canada?!

I've been wondering this aswell and I expected more people saying yes to the question. Damn movies lied to me!
Last edited by Tatakai! at May 18, 2008,
Quote by fortysix&2
Wouldn't it be really empty if it's got 1900 members and it's built for 2200 ?

No dude, the school is packed, the buildings...all 5 of them are built for 2200 students, were up to 1900 right about now, its probably gonna go up more in the next couple of months.
Page 1 of 2