How much do they make? Lets say I'm a recording engineer for progressive/death/melodic death/jazz fusion bands. Would much would I make year?
I make 70,000 USD a year.

But, I work on a low budget, so I get the leftovers of what would normally be a big budget.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by diminishedtobme
^Then why do you have such a low guitar fund? You also saving up for a Yaught?

Because I send half of my paycheck to my parents and keep half for myself, and I have to pay for utilities, rent, etc.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993

But, I work on a low budget, so I get the leftovers of what would normally be a big budget.

Whoa crap, you serious?
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

did you go to any kind of school for production/engineering? how is the job? do you wish you would have chosen a different career path?

dont mean to hijack the thread, just curious because this is something im considering doing in life.
Well Enough Alone
And 70,00 USD isn't actually a great deal to start with, that's an average middle class income of £35,000, before tax.

Anyway, you aren't even guaranteed to get money. Sound engineering isn't one of those 9-5jobs where you turn up and do it. You have to work for bands of kids who frankly don't have any cash to pay you with, and even the big names in this kind of scene aren't exactly loaded.
I worked my way up. I started out earning like 45,000 a year.

That's still great pay. Amazing pay for it, actually

To TK: Yeah.

It's good pay, because frankly, I don't have to do much often, usually it's just maintenance for the local theaters, work on the occaisional album, and other assorted duties.

That's without the big checks from albums, though, after I finish this local band's album, I'll be getting a hefty check.

Quote by eggsandham2
Holy **** 70k? That's great cash.

So did you go to school for the job? College or anything like that? How is the actual job? Is it a lot of fun? Any great bands you've worked with so far?

BTW do you have a lot of time for yourself? Or are you busy all the time?
Quote by NYGiantsFanFTW
Holy **** 70k? That's great cash.

So did you go to school for the job? College or anything like that? How is the actual job? Is it a lot of fun? Any great bands you've worked with so far?

BTW do you have a lot of time for yourself? Or are you busy all the time?

2 years of any kind of Engineering qualifications
A Bachelor's in any form of music (preferably music theory)
A Bachelor's in some kind of production field.

And, I get a bit of time to myself.

A lot, actually, weekends my label/studio closes down, so i get plenty of time to write my own stuff, and on the weekdays it's pretty much 5am-4pm (yeah, almost 12 hours, but it's fun).

^ Yeah...It's a difficult life

Quote by eggsandham2
Slaytanic, I sent you a PM. Check it when you get a chance, please.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Slaytanic1993
2 years of any kind of Engineering qualifications
A Bachelor's in any form of music (preferably music theory)
A Bachelor's in some kind of production field.

what kind of attitude does the industry have on engineers from a school like CRAS or FullSail or SAE? (those 1 year technical "producing" colleges) is it better to get a bachelor's from a regular university than attending those other 1 year schools?
Well Enough Alone
It's better to get a bachelor's, but they will accept you, and won't really care, unless you're applying for a really high end studio.

Quote by eggsandham2
Depends how good you are. Where you live. If you're going to record just extreme metal bands, yer not going to make much, at all. And you'll have to do ALOT of work and the hours suck and you'll have to have ALOT of connections to make it. Just have a fall back plan.
Well I'm not sure what my backup plan would be. It looks like you need a lot of schooling for this career. Maybe a music shop if it doesn't work out?

Also is it possible to be an engineer and have a band on the side also?

Also I live in NJ(hopefully I'll move away for college)
Last edited by NYGiantsFanFTW at May 18, 2008,
Quote by Slaytanic1993

I will definitely have to look more into this, because that's great pay, man. It also seems like something I would love to do.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by NYGiantsFanFTW
Well I'm not sure what my backup plan would be. It looks like you need a lot of schooling for this career. Maybe a music shop if it doesn't work out?

Also is it possible to be an engineer and have a band on the side also?

Also I live in NJ(hopefully I'll move away for college)

Yeah, I am in one band and have a solo prject, so it's possible.

Quote by eggsandham2
slaytanic...i hate you
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Slaytanic owns even more than I ever thought...
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
About Fullsail and other recording schools.

Go to Harmony Central into the recording section and ask about those. Do it. I Dare you.