I'm using the mojotone schematic and I'm getting 0.00 reading on all my connections, except the bare ground and hot from both pickups. The reading on those two connections are the same on both volume pots, 0.12.

Is this the cause of a cold solder joint? I'm getting weak sound from the bridge pickup and next to no sound from the neck pickup.
Why not take 10 minutes and take a soldering iron and heat up the connections?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Applying too much heat to the pots will kill the wiper and in turn kill the orange drops that are connected. I wanted to see if there is anything else I should be looking for that could cause that. Those pots aren't cheap.
If you can't solder to the pots, how are they connected?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
They are currently soldered, but I've read that overheating and/or repeated heating can damage them, so I'm being cautious.

Here's an image of the neck volume. The skinny red/bare wire is coming from the pick and the 0.12 culprit.

Help us out what is the issue the guitar doesnt work or what. The wiring in the pic looks ok. And if your refering to an ohms reading on a multimeter. It will give you all sorts of weird readings with everything hooked up. Only way to get any kind of true readings is if your pot or pickup etc whatever your testing is disconnected from everything else.
Quote by JohnnyBeep
They are currently soldered, but I've read that overheating and/or repeated heating can damage them, so I'm being cautious.

Here's an image of the neck volume. The skinny red/bare wire is coming from the pick and the 0.12 culprit.

Looks like the volume pot isn't grounded. You should really have a ground wire between the volume and tone pots.
Okay, that's good to know. Here's the full breakdown.

When plugged into an amp and in the bridge position, it's volume is a little lower that it was with the stock wiring.

I currently do not have knobs on the pots. When I touch the neck volume pot I get buzzing as if it's not grounded, but the grounding connections look good.

The neck pickup gets no sound and has a constant hiss/hum noise. The volume and tone pots do nothing.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Looks like the volume pot isn't grounded. You should really have a ground wire between the volume and tone pots.

It's grounded on the sides of the pots like mojotone does it. From the responses, I'm gathering that there is a bad ground connection somewhere. What's the best way to test if each individual ground connection is solid?

Last edited by JohnnyBeep at May 18, 2008,
In your picture of the volume pot, it shows the ground wire AND the cap using the middle lug on the pot. That would ground the signal, and give you NO output.

How you have that pot wired is NOT what is shown in the Mojotone picture.

Edit: Tbfh, you need to put a picture up showing all of the wiring.
Quote by JohnnyBeep
I was just using their pre-wired picture as an example of how I did my grounding. Yes, I did the "U" shape they mention.

High res of wiring 1
High res of wiring 2

I can't really see what's going on with whichever volume pot is in the bottom left of those pictures, but it all looks okay to me.

I'm pretty tired though, and I'm revising for an exam tomorrow, so I may have missed something.
The response I get when I touch the pot shaft on the neck volume (top left) keeps pushing me in that direction, but it all looks okay... so frustrating.

BTW- Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: If any of the exposed portions of the grounding on the sides of the pots, the "U" shape, were to come into contact with the grounding paint on the body, would that cause this? Also, would the top portion of the pot that rests against the body in the cavity cause some sort of funky ground out explaining the issues?
Here's the update. I put tape of the faces of the pots, opposite the prongs. It looks like one of the pots was grounding out to the grounding paint.

The volume is now fine, but I'm getting a buzz/hiss on the bridge pickup when the tone is set to anything but 0.

That and the neck tone CTS pot thead is slightly shorter than the stock Alpha pot, literally by 2-3 threads... Because of this, I can't put the washer + nut on the knob side of the shaft. Anyone else run into this?
With epis you never really know if things will fit into them or not. Most of the time the short shaft pots work. But sometimes they dont route the compartment 100% correct and you get an issue like this with the pot shaft being just a little to short. Sometimes you can leave the star washer off and it will give it just enough to put the nut on or maybe the little tab is causing it. Dont know what to tell you about the hiss. Seems odd they have you running the cap to the outer lug everything Ive ever done has the cap going to the middle lug, and the lug you have cap hooked to now is grounded.
Progress! When I put some pressure on the switchcraft toggle stem in the direction I select the buzzing goes away. Strange...

All four pots are in. I'm not sure if I like using audio taper pots for volume, but I'll leave that until after the switch stem oddity is figured out. Too bad the metric pot knobs don't fit and Ebay doesn't have these in creme.

Tackleberry: I'm wiring based on the spec in a previous post, which is based on the following.
Bah! So I have my amp on clean with zero effects, all settings at 12 o'clock... without the guitar plugged in, silence. With the guitar plugged in, "hiss/noise". When I touch the strings the hiss gets a little quieter.

Everything I'm reading is telling me it's not a grounding issue when it gets quieter, but could point to interference. The thing with that is the hiss wasn't there with the garbage stock wiring.
After all this... it ended up being the outlet is screwy. The strange thing is the amp has always been plugged into that outlet. I moved to a different outlet and it's clean.

Nice that the initial wiring is good. I'll be using copper shielding tape for safe measure eventually.