so heres the thing, ive got 2 acoustics, an electric, a small 30 watt amp, a 100 watt amp, and im about to buy a new guitar, a new half stack, and a drum kit.

Im 16 so obviously i live with my parents, but the problem i seem to have hit, storage?

We have a garage and is full of general rubbish that we all fill our garages with, so i was wondering, if i was to tidy it out, would it be good to use as a band practice area?

Ive practiced in it a couple of times before, noise was an issue as it was about as sound proof as cardboard box, but the nabours stayed cool about it.

so i was wondering, if i was to keep amps and a drum kit in the garage, would they get damaged?

there are no heaters in there so i image it will get very cold at night, but there is power supply to it.

what would be the problems and how could i solve them?

Cheers.
I havnt fully decided yet, possibly either the marshall MG100hdfx or a fender fm series

possibly a fender metalhead if i could strech that far

im going to the music shop some point next week, so ill have a play around with a few and see if theres anything else that catchs the eye
Quote by con_dude
I havnt fully decided yet, possibly either the marshall MG100hdfx or a fender fm series

im going to the music shop some point next week, so ill have a play around with a few and see if theres anything else that catchs the eye

You fail. Save what you have and do not get any of those amps ever! Save up until you get $600 then get a Peavey 5150.
Quote by con_dude

Those amps are terrible, you already have a SS half-stack. Get something like a tube combo
Well at the moment I have around £1200 to buy a new guitar and amp

im thinking of getting a Sunburst american strat, which got for about £700 new?

Which leaves £500 for the amp
First thing I'd do is sell one of the acoustics and the 100 watt amp you already have. Theres no need for a 100 watt amp and a 100 watt halfstack. None, whatsoever.

And then I'd use that money to buy something better than a Marshall MG. Go for a B-52 AT100(my first choice), Peavey 5150/6505, Peavey Classic 50, Peavey Valveking. Go used if you have to, but please don't buy a solid state halfstack.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
i did the same thing as you, cleaned an amazing amount of junk out of my garage, and put all my amps, drums, and recording gear in there. makes for an awesome space. i highly reccommend it. also, if you can, sound proof/isolate the walls to bring down washyness.

but don't ever get a marshall mg halfstack. i got the crate equivalent and they're both just pure garbage.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
ide like a tube amp, but i dont really have much knowlage on whats good and bad, any one else have any reccomendations?
Quote by con_dude
Well at the moment I have around £1200 to buy a new guitar and amp

im thinking of getting a Sunburst american strat, which got for about £700 new?

Which leaves £500 for the amp

What kind of music are you going to play?
I wouldn't want to keep drums or acoustics in the garage. The dampness and temperature fluxuations will not be good for them.

And yeah, you have a really bad idea on the amps. You have enough in your "plan" to get a decent valve combo, but I'd alter the plan and put even more towards your amp. Your amp is -conservatively- about 80% of your tone. Spend appropriately.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
a wide range really, probably mostly indie/rock

probably no really heavy stuff
Quote by con_dude
ide like a tube amp, but i dont really have much knowlage on whats good and bad, any one else have any reccomendations?

Classic Rock: Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50, Vox AC30
Metal/Hard Rock:Peavey 5150, just about any MESA/BOOGIE(reallyt expensive though, if you bought a mesa you probably wouldn't have enough for a new guitar) Peavey Valveking(get the 5150 if you can) or a B-52At100(i've got one and i love it).
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Orange Rocker 30 and then get a Standard HSS strat.

That's only going to cost $3000.
I store my Mesa Roadking in the Garage. It hasn't suffered any ill effects.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I store my Mesa Roadking in the Garage. It hasn't suffered any ill effects.

Depends where you live. If you live in Florida and you store an amp in your garage, you're an utter idiot. It's going to rust from the inside out. If you live in a dryer place or in high elevations storing amps in a garage isn't a bad idea.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
lmfa0 marshall mg..
oh well let the little guitar-clueless people do what they want and buy a ****ty amp because it says MARSHALL on it.
^ only if they're unwilling to budge. this guy is though

oh yeah, where i live gets pretty humid and stuff, but my gear has been holding up good.

i wouldn't recommened keeping guitars out there just because you'd be able to really feel the difference.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Yeah, I don't keep my guitar in my garage. I keep it in my room under my bed. The good thing about my garage is the garage doors are sealed really well, so it doesn't suffer very much climate swing. Also, I put carpet on the floor so it insulates the floor pretty well.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
keep your acoustics in cases.. the humidity and temperature of garages change constantly and can cause damage to your stuff.

especially drums and stuff.

the 2nd thing is SECURITY.

you're gonna want BARS on your windows and SERIOUS locks on your doors.. at least in my area, garages are notorious for being broken into.. not just gear but stuff like tools, fishing gear, bikes.. you name it..

the wanted ads in my city are always have a "STOLEN" section.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
yeah I'd say it's a bad idea mainly because garages are easy to break into and it happens a lot. So unless you have your garage locked down tight I wouldn't store anything valuable (other than cars) in there.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
TechnicolorType, i think thats abit harsh to be fair, like UnsignedRecords said, i am totally open for other suggestions....as i have asked for!

nah we dont have a basement, and i live in england, its never really too warm hear.

So it sounds like amps should be ok?

how about drums, are they going to rust?
^ and les pauls.. just thinking of interpol.
Quote by con_dude
TechnicolorType, i think thats abit harsh to be fair, like UnsignedRecords said, i am totally open for other suggestions....as i have asked for!

nah we dont have a basement, and i live in england, its never really too warm hear.

So it sounds like amps should be ok?

how about drums, are they going to rust?

amps aren't as fragile in some ways as people tend to believe. they're pretty tough and should last provided they're not treated recklessly.

drums should be okay too. not saying the garage is the best place for them, but it's fine for me.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Hmmm...thanks for this interesting thread! I live in Southern California and have stored amps, cabs, effects...for years without any problems (that I am aware of anyway.) However, I keep my guitars inside home and cased. But now I am thinking that perhaps I should bring some off this stuff in? IDK?

At least the climate isn't too bad here, but can get quite warm at times...
I would never store any gear in my garage, but then again I live in a place where it goes 100+ every year during summer and my garage is like an oven that can get way hotter. Any instrument made out of wood shouldn't be kept outside if climate is of any kind of worry. I'm not any kind of drum expert, but I would assume you wouldn't store a good drum set anywhere you wouldn't store your guitars, drums are made of wood too you know. Electronic gear is probably more durable so it really should be to much of a problem unless it gets humid enough to rust your gear.

Security issues aside I wouldn't do it unless you can somehow climate control the area.

/dont buy the MG or FM
humidity and temps will fluxuate a lot in a garage. You would be best keeping them inside a room with heating/cooling, and insulation in the walls. Acoustics are best with kept in a stable environment and your drums may go out of tune quicker if the moisture gets to the wood...

If you MUST keep it all in the garage, I would try to take the acoustics in when not in use, just use wall hangers or stands for them...or put them in the case and store under the bed...

Also get a dehumidifier for the garage, a fair stand alone unit should work fair. This will keep moisture down and will keep mold from forming any time soon.
I agree with everyone else about acoustics. DO NOT keep them in the garage...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
keeping drums in the garage can ruin heads much quicker if exposed to lots of temperature/humidity changes. other than that, nothing would really happen. with cheaper drumsets you might get some rust on the metal, unless its stainless steel
Last edited by chea_man at May 20, 2008,
I would never, ever, store such expensive gear in my garage, because of thievery.

Sell that 100 watt amp of yours too. that should bring in more cash for your new amp and guitar! And do NOT buy a MG or a FM. they are utter ****e. As the man above said, look out for Orange's, TUBE Fenders, Laney's, maybe a Peavey classic and such.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
thanks for all the help, im not gonna get the fm or mg, im off to the music shop on tuesday and ill just test most of the stock in my price range, and ill see what happens!

on a more topical note, im thinking of putting drums and amp in the garage, ill keep guitars in my room, if i start to see any rust or anything on the drums ill just bring them inside or something